Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Renewing UK passport

Renewing UK passport

Old Feb 10th 2018, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renewing UK passport

Have just renewed mine
Completed the online form, printed out, signed and sent off the declaration with two photos. There's no need for any counter signatures now unless you appearance has drastically altered.
From sending it off to getting it back took 12 days
Old Jun 4th 2018, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing UK passport

Originally Posted by Justcol
Have just renewed mine
Completed the online form, printed out, signed and sent off the declaration with two photos. There's no need for any counter signatures now unless you appearance has drastically altered.
From sending it off to getting it back took 12 days
“Drastically altered” is very subjective.

Mine renews in 2020. I was three weeks married when it renewed last. I’ll be a decade married by the time it renews agains. Does this constitute “drastically altered”? 😁

Last edited by TommyLuck; Jun 4th 2018 at 11:30 am.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Bumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really nice

That's good to know as I sent my renewal off on 29th May as I'm off on a visit to UK in a few weeks time. Funny thing is (to me) I look younger now than I did in my passport 10 years ago, then I had a fat face and looked like a bag lady haha - very subjective I know, but it was quite a hideous photo so I hope they don't think I've 'drastically altered' !!!

Then I'll need to get my returning residents visa from somewhere, can't remember where but I know the price has gone up heaps since 2008.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply for a E visa instead of the traditional "blue sticker" I got one for my new passport.
The E Visa is free and you dont need to send your passport away to get it. the blue sticker version is $190
It is just logged electronically against your new passport.

I did have a hiccup with mine at Heathrow. The girl on the Cathay desk asked to see my exit ticket to prove when I would be leaving NZ
I explained I had lived there for 10 years and had permanent residency so didnt need one.
They had to call NZ immigration to verify the visa. after that it seems to have been ok
Old Jun 18th 2018, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Bumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really nice

You can apply for a E visa instead of the traditional "blue sticker" I got one for my new passport.
The E Visa is free and you dont need to send your passport away to get it. the blue sticker version is $190
It is just logged electronically against your new passport.

I did have a hiccup with mine at Heathrow. The girl on the Cathay desk asked to see my exit ticket to prove when I would be leaving NZ
I explained I had lived there for 10 years and had permanent residency so didnt need one.
They had to call NZ immigration to verify the visa. after that it seems to have been ok
JustCol I just contacted a friend who works in Immigration and she said there is still a cost of $190 - so not sure how you got yours or how you went about it? would love to know if I can avoid paying $190??? cheers (btw my passport was back in 20 days).
Old Jun 18th 2018, 8:38 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/already-have-a-visa/transferring-my-visa-to-a-new-passport

does say no fee "
  • An application fee is not required if you are transferring an eVisa or if you previously had a physical visa label and would like an eVisa in your new passport."
Old Jun 18th 2018, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bumptious
JustCol I just contacted a friend who works in Immigration and she said there is still a cost of $190 - so not sure how you got yours or how you went about it? would love to know if I can avoid paying $190??? cheers (btw my passport was back in 20 days).
It's $190 if you want the sticker in your passport or otherwise $0 for the e-visa (no-sticker) - some airport check in staff struggle with processing with the e-visa and get a bit arsey if they can't sight your visa in your passport when checking in. As Col says it can easily be sorted but can add a bit of unnecessary stress to your homeward journey when you start getting quizzed about your onward flight from NZ. LOL My OH had some issues with his so I opted to pay for the sticker.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bumptious
JustCol I just contacted a friend who works in Immigration and she said there is still a cost of $190.
Maybe your friend just makes the tea there
Old Jun 18th 2018, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Electronic version is OK once you convince the Airline desk - of course if all the computers fail you become non resident :}
Old Jun 20th 2018, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Maybe your friend just makes the tea there
Haha I don't know what she does as she doesn't generally share her profession with people as she says it's emotive. I've only just recently met her to be fair. She doesn't work with Visas so yes you could be right she could be chief tea maker. However she did say she works next to the person that processes visas here in Palmy.