Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things NZ has never heard of

Things NZ has never heard of

Old Jun 11th 2016, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

mudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Things NZ has never heard of

couple of things that are guaranteed to get year 9 kids divided equally between breathless shock and hysterical laughter:

when cutting and pasting don't say 'ok kids, you are going to need scissors and pritt sticks'... they have not heard of pritt over here. It's just a glue stick. Pritt sounds a lot nearer to prick than glue, I think one or two were wondering what the hell i was going to do to them...

when describing Lady Macbeth's attempts to stir up her husband's anger ---- 'are you a man or a mouse' type banter, do not describe her provocation as 'poking her husband' This word worked beautifully in the part of the UK I used to live in, but has only sexual connotations over here.

and being the new pommie teacher who can't find the bag of lollies, because she is looking for some sweets that have sticks in them. I even moved the big bag of sweets out of the way in case the lollies were underneath.

My first landlady couldn't figure out what I meant when I said that the cooker had broken.

I'm getting there, thank goodness it is just a few words and not a whole other language
Old Jun 11th 2016, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mudblood21
couple of things that are guaranteed to get year 9 kids divided equally between breathless shock and hysterical laughter:

when cutting and pasting don't say 'ok kids, you are going to need scissors and pritt sticks'... they have not heard of pritt over here. It's just a glue stick. Pritt sounds a lot nearer to prick than glue, I think one or two were wondering what the hell i was going to do to them...

when describing Lady Macbeth's attempts to stir up her husband's anger ---- 'are you a man or a mouse' type banter, do not describe her provocation as 'poking her husband' This word worked beautifully in the part of the UK I used to live in, but has only sexual connotations over here.

and being the new pommie teacher who can't find the bag of lollies, because she is looking for some sweets that have sticks in them. I even moved the big bag of sweets out of the way in case the lollies were underneath.

My first landlady couldn't figure out what I meant when I said that the cooker had broken.

I'm getting there, thank goodness it is just a few words and not a whole other language
Durex is good as glue
Old Jun 15th 2016, 10:53 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Even if you have a unit fitted with overflow the chances of drainage through it keeping up with modern mains flow fills is pretty low, so not too much use.

----------------
Plumber and wife

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 15th 2016 at 10:55 pm.