Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Taboo-subjects in NZ?

Taboo-subjects in NZ?

Old Apr 19th 2009, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taboo-subjects in NZ?

Originally Posted by lardyl
It's always been like that mate, winners go with cups and cups with winners. World rankings and point scores have been made up in these days of "one upmnaship" to make it more interesting. Saying we're the best in the world and not doing the business on the field when it counts don't cut it. Life's hard eh?

As an England football fan I know all about under-acheivement on the footie field.
My point is that it does cut it. To me, and heaps of others. Just because we are told that the one who wins the world cup gets all the gold doesn't change the fact that I would prefer to watch the All Blacks play then the rest because they are better at it. Sure other teams beat them with tactics, often boring one's, doesn't change a thing in my book. If we're playing the All Blacks it's a must watch, with other teams it's a maybe.

If you watched Australia at the last football world cup you would know that it is entirely possible that we could beat England at the world cup and/or finish higher in the tournament. I'm not going to turn around the next day and say we are better than England and start watching the A League in preference to the EPL.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

haha - just as smart, hard working and self-effacing as the Kiwis think you Aussies are, yeah right.........
Is this divide and conquer tactics?
Old Apr 19th 2009, 4:22 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grizz
After the 1745 rebellion the British government, enthusiastically supported and aided by the Lowland Scots, banned the wearing of Tartan and the Bagpipes in the Highlands, they made every attempt they could, to suppress the culture and history of the Highland clans.
sorry, I couldn't help but edit your post to make it more historically accurate

long but interesting article:

http://aspen.conncoll.edu/politicsan...ge.cfm?key=600

It would seem that modern Scottish nationalism demands a whitewashing of the role played by the Lowlands, and even parts of the Highlands, in the suppression of the Gaelic way of life.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

The Mormons who come around must be at least 19, and they don't all come from Salt Lake City and their purpose is not to give you advice about life.

Originally Posted by fish.01
As an Aussie I don't mind if you discuss the bad treatment of Aboriginals. I welcome it. I just don't like the often automatic assumption that none of us care or discuss it and that we all need you to tell us about it before we would notice.

As an Australian I would have had far more discussions about the problems/solutions/issues and would know far more about the topic then you. It has been an ongoing major debate in Australia for my whole life. It's like an 18yo Mormon from Salt Lake City turning up on your doorstep on the other side of the world and offering you all sorts of advice of life - sure, lets talk, but you're going to get far more out of the conversation than me.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:27 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Is this divide and conquer tactics?
Nope, just pointing out the healthy rivalry............that sits nicely with the shoulder to shoulder approach to ANZAC Day.
We Pomms keep our accents are we want to remain distinctive and not just fit in (we are individualistic and quite eccentric as you will notice), are too old to change, tend to be as proud of our heritage as our cousins hereabouts and are a bit thick (that's me......).
But when we are living/working abroad we still like a bit of the rivalry of our own and the accent thing is part of it.
Pity some Kiwis hate our regional accents as they clain they can't understand them. Now if *they* could speak the Queen's English ...... LOL
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:30 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

.....If you watched Australia at the last football world cup you would know that it is entirely possible that we could beat England at the world cup and/or finish higher in the tournament. I'm not going to turn around the next day and say we are better than England and start watching the A League in preference to the EPL.
Ah but you don't keep on and on about how you should have won the world cup and was robbed by the ref, or just look the other way whenever the subject comes up........or maybe you do?? (Not a league fan?)

Anyway last I heard the Bledisloe was the 6th/7th place play off for the RWC.....wonder what it will be next time......LOL
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:23 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

It's always been like that mate, winners go with cups and cups with winners. World rankings and point scores have been made up in these days of "one upmnaship" to make it more interesting. Saying we're the best in the world and not doing the business on the field when it counts don't cut it. Life's hard eh?

As an England football fan I know all about under-acheivement on the footie field.
You may call it under-achievement, others may call it too high expectations.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
The Mormons who come around must be at least 19, and they don't all come from Salt Lake City and their purpose is not to give you advice about life.
Yeah thanks. Do know they don't all live in one city. Have noticed. It was an example - it happened to me and they did try to offer life advice so maybe the training manual needs tweaking.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:08 am
you dewty owld maan!

Yeah thanks. Do know they don't all live in one city. Have noticed. It was an example - it happened to me and they did try to offer life advice so maybe the training manual needs tweaking.
I got beaten up on a bus in the UK once by two drunks 'cause I was a "mormon so-and-so", pity that they failed to notice that the two brothers had already got off the bus, I was 16, dressed in ripped jeans, carrying a bag of records and a total atheist.........just came down the aisle mouthing off and smacked me in the chin....driver was petrified but did manage to ask if I was ok when I got off in a couple of stops.......
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:10 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by THR
You may call it under-achievement, others may call it too high expectations.
yep and others have it down as press-driven frenzy.
England should have been there or there abouts in a few of the last world cups and Euros.
I just hope the Fabio can keep them progressing.

Anyway is the other person from Finland who appeared on this thread a friend of yours?? Or is there some kind of wacky co-incidence going on?
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:22 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by elfman
sorry, I couldn't help but edit your post to make it more historically accurate

long but interesting article:

http://aspen.conncoll.edu/politicsan...ge.cfm?key=600

It would seem that modern Scottish nationalism demands a whitewashing of the role played by the Lowlands, and even parts of the Highlands, in the suppression of the Gaelic way of life.
don't worry Grizz will really enjoy it down in parts of the Mainland, and bits further north too, where they can be a happy ex-Pat Sweaty and rail at the Pomms and Hansen from a safe distance......plenty of Kiwis have those sorts of "issues" with the English and *their* big brother neighbours (the Aussies) so he'll fit in a treat. Good luck to ya. Wee man.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=lardyl;7493407]yeah it was quite amusing watching the wobblies get beaten in the trinations at Eden Park, especially sat on the terraces with a few Aussies around. some good banter being given/had there.

Most sportsmen will agree however that it is winning the competitions that counts not your world ranking points or how well you do between the championchips. I'm happy to train well but I want to perform when I'm playing in a competative match. Winning the world cup is the be-all-and-end-all, and if you are the best team in the world then losing it for so many years is failure, plain and simple.

On the other hand NZ does attract a few players from the "other" "small pacific nations"....LOL, not that England or Australia are totally averse to that in any sport.....[/QUOTE]

glad you decided to put the little rider at the end of your most informative post. None the less seeing as you know so much about rugby do tell us what AB's were not born in or educated in NZ.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute

Or is there some kind of wacky co-incidence going on?
Yes. Even though the population of Finland is smallish by the UK standards, there are more than two people over here
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:22 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Mgee
Yes. Even though the population of Finland is smallish by the UK standards, there are more than two people over here
yeah right..........and both of them are..........here on this very thread........heard that one before........and doubt this will be the finish......hehehe......

hey Aunty what do you mean the what(?) belonging to the AB ?.......sigh.....again......?
you really do need to brush up on those apostrophes.... or is that AT's..........

so have you got your weet-A-bix cards out again?
or are they the Bluebird ones.......?
probably taken those ones off the offenders in your part of the criminal justice system.......LOL.....might be harder than home detention I suppose?

and when the rest of us were roaring on the All Blacks from the terraces you were in the corporate box no doubt?

I reckon I know far less about Rugby than the average Kiwi but I think I know a reasonable amount about sport, competing and being part of a reasonably sporting family with a few pros and the odd international in there.

Was at college with a few of the rugger bugger types including Carling and DeGlanville and they were the sweetest of gents. Bit like the NRL and Super14 chaps here and over the ditch.

Go on tell us have youse got a couple of the boys in the ABs.......? of course you have........
Probably why you get so sore that they haven't won what you really want to win for quite a few years............

Of course "poaching" doesn't happen and the current team is pretty much all either born or "bred" in NZ. Does wind up the odd Kiwi mind, as the Tui "yeah right" poster that perpetrated this myth goes to show....
Old Apr 20th 2009, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

englishheaven will become famous soon enoughenglishheaven will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mgee
This is once again about making your own culture the universal norm. Stone age from whose perspective? And who defined non-cannibalism as the norm for all cultures? We cannot make our own cultural experience as the norm or the requirement for other cultures and ways of life. There are different factors, different circumstances, different climates that affect the way that a culture evolves.

For example, would you really expect the Inuit (=Eskimos) to have a similar culture as, let's say, the Italians? That they try to grow wine, build with stone? Of course not. Yet by your criteria, they still live in the ice age as they do not conform to the European culture(s). Their culture (beliefs, way of life, eating habits, their numerous words for different snow types etc. etc.) is a direct consequence of living in and adapting to the arctic conditions. Every culture is dependent of its own surroundings and thus the culture's beliefs and habits are directly influenced by it. In that sense we are just like any other animal species: we adapt to our environment and find ways to survive in it and, uniquely for the homo sapiens/religiosus, try to explain the conditions and phenomena surrounding us through belief systems and religions. It would have made very little sense for the Maori to develop an European style culture, belief system and habits as they never lived in Europe, nor does their culture have the same evolutionary history. Their culture (beliefs, habits, language etc.) adapted to the world they lived in and evolved accordingly, and thus they cannot be judged by our standards or through the history of our culture.

And when it comes to cannibalism: a Hindu acquaintance of mine was horrified about us Christians eating the body and and drinking the blood of our god -even symbolically. There are numerous things in Western European culture that horrify other cultures and contravene their norms, so we really are not in a position to judge anyone else's cultures, and even less in the position of raising our culture above the other cultures. Doing so is cultural imperialism/colonialism/racism that in the course of history has lead to the oppression and eradication of numerous indigenous cultures around the world.
Stone age from the perspective of having no metal objects, or even the wheel come to that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.