Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Taboo-subjects in NZ?

Taboo-subjects in NZ?

Old Apr 13th 2009, 3:26 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taboo-subjects in NZ?

Originally Posted by Ash1
The kiwi`s wont tolerate any disrespect about the All Blacks. Where as us pomms accept that we aren`t going to win the football world cup because our team is crap but we support them anyway , the kiwi`s will not accept that they aren`t the world champions and every game they lose they were robbed !!!!! Roll on 2011. I`d love to see England beat them in the final. Ash

Want to have a laugh. Ask them who are the world rugby seven's champions. The answer you'll most likely get is, "seven's isn't real rugby"! Bet that would be a different answer if they won
Old Apr 13th 2009, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash1
The kiwi`s wont tolerate any disrespect about the All Blacks. Where as us pomms accept that we aren`t going to win the football world cup because our team is crap but we support them anyway , the kiwi`s will not accept that they aren`t the world champions and every game they lose they were robbed !!!!! Roll on 2011. I`d love to see England beat them in the final.
Ash

the difference is we know we have the best rugby team regardless of who wins the once every 4 years nock out tourno

And if you don't believe me go check out the IRB rankings over the last 20 years !
Old Apr 13th 2009, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janek
That sort of question would raise eyebrows in any country in the world I would have thought, but then again maybe not Austria.
Of course, but in NZ you are maybe more likely to touch a nerve, because there are communities it is tolerated.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
Of course, but in NZ you are maybe more likely to touch a nerve, because there are communities it is tolerated.
Are you sure you can post something to verify that claim Browner
Old Apr 13th 2009, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Browner_

ooh do tell Browner, you seem to be very knowledgeable on this issue, tell us about these 'communties' where it is 'tolerated'.
I have to confess to being ignorant on the shagging of one's daughters....
Down here in hicksville though they sit about the house/shed/bach/tent/ farm talking about incest all day long, not in the least bit nervous, maybe you're living in the wrong town Browner come on down..... no on second thoughts stay where you are.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Are you sure you can post something to verify that claim Browner
I doubt it - our friend Mr Underscore has never been one to let the facts get in the way of a good whinge
Old Apr 13th 2009, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I doubt it - our friend Mr Underscore has never been one to let the facts get in the way of a good whinge
Old Apr 13th 2009, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

As a newbie to NZ, every Kiwi will ask you if you are enjoying NZ. It would not be advisable to be honest.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrCFD
As a newbie to NZ, every Kiwi will ask you if you are enjoying NZ. It would not be advisable to be honest.
Same's true for ANY country in my experience.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:08 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone has said that the battle of Gallipoli is a sensitive topic both in Australia and NZ. However, as I don't believe there are many people old enough to remember that battle, I find it a bit difficult to believe.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
Someone has said that the battle of Gallipoli is a sensitive topic both in Australia and NZ. However, as I don't believe there are many people old enough to remember that battle, I find it a bit difficult to believe.
It definitely is here in Australia. The Turks seem quite neutral about it all and theres a massive pilgrimage to Gallipoli every year by Aussies young and old.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 10:53 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
It is a touchy subject. Certainly debatable but if you do debate I would suggest being open minded about it - put simply it's not simply about the numbers dying as compared to X country, or even as a percentage of total deaths. It's about representation and what it meant to fight there. etc etc etc. It's a public holiday. There is plenty to debate about whether it should be viewed quite the way it is but I think it would be best to err on the side of caution.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
Are there any such subjects with NZ that if you start talking about those subjects there's bound to be an argument if not even a fight?

Their shitty driving skills. Or complete lack of them. Kiwis are some of the worst drivers in the world..apparently it's official too. Its the one horrible thing about life here that impacts us potentialy every day..with often fatal consequences for those unfortuate enough to be hit by some drunk, speeding tosser who's on drugs and doing a text. There are loads of sober drivers who are equally as dangerous. Rant over.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

englishheaven will become famous soon enoughenglishheaven will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
It is a touchy subject. Certainly debatable but if you do debate I would suggest being open minded about it - put simply it's not simply about the numbers dying as compared to X country, or even as a percentage of total deaths. It's about representation and what it meant to fight there. etc etc etc. It's a public holiday. There is plenty to debate about whether it should be viewed quite the way it is but I think it would be best to err on the side of caution.
I dont know why they are so obsessed with Gallipoli, there were more British there than ANZACS. I suppose that comes from having very little history to be proud of.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Genesis
Their shitty driving skills. Or complete lack of them. Kiwis are some of the worst drivers in the world..apparently it's official too. Its the one horrible thing about life here that impacts us potentialy every day..with often fatal consequences for those unfortuate enough to be hit by some drunk, speeding tosser who's on drugs and doing a text. There are loads of sober drivers who are equally as dangerous. Rant over.
It's the slow drivers who are the most dangerous - look at the stats from Hawkes Bay!

Don't you even think about arguing with me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.