Staff Meetings

Old Dec 25th 2018, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

sparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Staff Meetings

Having lived and worked here for over 6 years, I've now been informed that staff meetings, in front of all members of staff, is not the place to out another staff member for doing below par work on a job for 5 weeks whilst I was away.
Other staff members have informed me its best to bitch about people behind their back, especially this one as is known for being a complete ninconpoop, without a care in the world.
I know stand corrected by my peers, although remain confused at the whole situation...
Old Dec 25th 2018, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Staff Meetings

Yes, exactly. Good, now you get it.

Calling out incompetent colleagues at staff meetings makes you the bad guy. It disrupts the faux placidity and tranquility of the meeting, and the image, however false, that you are all a great team together. The feeling is why do that when most know the colleague is a nincompoop who does shoddy work anyways. Your observations were doubtful any big surprise but created an unpleasant atmosphere.
Old Dec 26th 2018, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

sparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond repute

100% agree with you.
As the terrible employee that I am, I must take full responsibility for the lack of work completed in the past few weeks, my main effort now will be to concentrate on the job in hand, currently 6 weeks behind, get back on track and bring it over the line before even more of the budget goes down the toilet, also to appease the other trades on site who complained and are feeling the knock on effect of this.
Previous examples of myself witnessing foremen on site around the country verbally abusing employees for bad work ethics in front of the whole site will be erased from my memory.
In future I will endeavour to work 3 times harder for the same pay rate and keep my head in the sand. then naturally she'll be right.
I've also as a penance inflicted self harm via a barbed branch across my back and scrotum, sealing any lacerations with Himalayan rock salt.
Old Dec 26th 2018, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

That's right, they all just need to harden up because she'll be right.

Your assimilation is an inspiration to us all.
Old Dec 26th 2018, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks for your kind words of support in my times of impending doom.
It's now approaching the hour where I must continue my penance and flail myself again.
My wife, who is disgusted by my outrageous behaviour, has come to the fore, by finding some seasoned scotch bonnet peppers, of which she has ground up to smear in my eyes whilst I flail.
My daughter refuses to speak to me, due to identifying as full blown kiwi, but is willing to provide the super glue to paste my eye lids open in order to complete my work tasks from 5am tomorrow,.
I fear my assimilation may be threatened by my undue behaviour, so have sacrificed myself also to call out duties with no days in lieu over the new year holiday.
Old Dec 26th 2018, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Yes, exactly. Good, now you get it.

Calling out incompetent colleagues at staff meetings makes you the bad guy. It disrupts the faux placidity and tranquility of the meeting, and the image, however false, that you are all a great team together. The feeling is why do that when most know the colleague is a nincompoop who does shoddy work anyways. Your observations were doubtful any big surprise but created an unpleasant atmosphere.
Good job you don't pop in on team meeting's at my place. Its like a verbal WWE king of the ring with the last man standing deemed the one who was right all along. When it's over its back to normal. No one bears grudges and we all go back to work like grown ups.
Not sure why the negativity towards kiwis. I find them far more up front and honest than most whinging, overly pc poms I have worked with in the past

Last edited by Justcol; Dec 26th 2018 at 5:54 am.
Old Dec 27th 2018, 3:37 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Justcol
Not sure why the negativity towards kiwis. I find them far more up front and honest than most whinging, overly pc poms I have worked with in the past
Not sure he mentioned the nationality of said colleagues but it does seem to be the practice to do a two faced whine & dob behind a back rather than talk it through at a group staff meeting. THat's without the never ending scape-goating thing which I have never been able to fathom the need.

Not sure why the dig at 'poms'. Most are far more upfront , open & honest in their ways which is what gets them stick after staff meetings & the like.

Merry Festive Season Col m'love. Have a fab one.
Old Dec 27th 2018, 5:07 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the make up of the staff meetings. I don't think they're the place for a supervising staff member to give one of their staff a telling off, nor a place for one staff member to complain about another. They're a good place to bring up stuff that affects/concerns/interests the group as a whole.
Old Dec 28th 2018, 9:29 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Staff Meetings

Go straight to management, publish it in a local paper? There has to be a time and place for feedback and follow up action.

If someone wasn't happy with what I'd done I'd rather be told than leaving it unaddressed until it becomes a really big issue on the future. Depends on the company culture however, sometimes it's best to graciously bow out if you no longer feel you fit in .
Old Jan 1st 2019, 7:49 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

culture of bullying is rife and not just at schools, and no its not just the Kiwi's that do it. I think fear of losing jobs because the skills are just not here meaning filling positions from abroad may be a big factor and employee rights are not as far advanced as larger countries.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 2:36 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Depends on the make up of the staff meetings. I don't think they're the place for a supervising staff member to give one of their staff a telling off, nor a place for one staff member to complain about another. They're a good place to bring up stuff that affects/concerns/interests the group as a whole.
That's what I thought too. Don't call someone out in front of others. Being 'upfront and honest' can be just another form of bullying. You can sort problems out by talking 1-1 to the person, or set it up better before you go on holiday next time.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Don't call someone out in front of others. Being 'upfront and honest' can be just another form of bullying. You can sort problems out by talking 1-1 to the person
And leave yourself wide open to further accusations of bullying with no witnesses to say otherwise
Old Jan 8th 2019, 8:13 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
And leave yourself wide open to further accusations of bullying with no witnesses to say otherwise
Might as well go all out on the fool if no one's watching.

Old Jan 9th 2019, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict