Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Who would want to be a driver in this country?

Who would want to be a driver in this country?

Old Sep 16th 2017, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who would want to be a driver in this country?

Some parts of the motorway have different speed limits to other parts of the same motorway.

Anyone could get a speeding-ticket in such conditions!

So anybody that does get multiple speeding-tickets is clearly the victim here.
Auckland hairdresser collects $360 in fines driving through Waterview tunnel - NZ Herald
Old Sep 16th 2017, 2:04 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Who would want to be a driver in this country?

You can get an app. that reminds you what the speed limit is which is really useful because, if your anything like me, you where probably texting a mate while driving anyway! Honestly my advice is to go with the flow here mate. In fact I've long advocated that the licence test include texting, rolling a wendy and drinking a can of energy drink while driving. Either we enforce the laws or change the test, it's really creating a very dangerous situation that we refuse to do either!

Edit to add:
"It is quite hard slowing from 100km/h to 80km/h." Using right foot depress pedal on the right and, if required, move right foot to pedal on left and apply pressure. Press until vehicle attains desired speed.

Last edited by Charismatic; Sep 16th 2017 at 2:09 am.
Old Sep 16th 2017, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who would want to be a driver in this country?

I last got a ticket because I was speeding, I sucked it up and paid because I was speeding and got caught.

What nonsense she spouts about knowing the limit is 80 but saying its hard to slow from 100 to 80
No it isnt, you just slow down so that by the time you reach the 80 sign you're doing 80
Old Sep 16th 2017, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

As for driving in NZ, I dont have any issues with it, its easy as down here

Last edited by Justcol; Sep 16th 2017 at 10:45 am.
Old Sep 16th 2017, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Imagine if she ever had to drive on the M25 with variable speed limits that would totally blow her mind.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Imagine if she ever had to drive on the M25 with variable speed limits that would totally blow her mind.
I think she'd be more shocked at the number of cars keeping left unless overtaking

That or the lack of tailgating
Old Sep 19th 2017, 10:15 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
my thoughts exactly!
Old Sep 19th 2017, 10:54 am
Banned

ChrisRobinson is an unknown quantity at this point

Rules for driving in NZ!

Look ahead, at least to the front of your car's bonnet any further is a waste of time.

Get a dustbin and replace your exhaust pipe with it to look COOL!

Practise motorway driving styles, use all the lanes, change constantly and fly past other cars, sit in their blind spot, fun to blast your horn forcing them to take avoiding action.

Perfect rude gestures, finger up, hang arm out of window low and demonstrate sexual techniques to all!

Get two mega amps and let the whole town hear great music.

Never give way to anybody, never let anybody pass and never stop at crossings.

Remember that tyres serve only one purpose, leaving black lines on the road - oh and never drive your own car when demonstrating your skill doing this!

Join a boy racer group to improve your driving skills and meet at 2 am every week or start your own group!

Text with either hand or with you toes on the dashboard whilst cornering on a state highway.

Use chemical 'driving style enhancers' whenever funds allow - i.e. always!

We saw all these behaviours in our 12 years in NZ, it is no wonder that the accident rates are so high! No compulsory insurance, no restriction on the cars young driver can drive, massive drug usage, roads in poor condition and egos so large they can hardly fit in the car.

Good luck driving in NZ, the M25 at 90mph on a busy Saturday evening is far far safer!
Old Sep 19th 2017, 6:49 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

No no no, you've got it all wrong. Did you know it's the bloody tourists causing all the accidents?
Old Sep 19th 2017, 10:28 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
No no no, you've got it all wrong. Did you know it's the bloody tourists causing all the accidents?
I know Pom. Makes my toes curl every time I hear that.

Apparently it is the tourists driving on the wrong side of the road that are responsible for road kill Kea deaths in Arthurs Pass. Nothing to do with the speeding locals then who know the road only too well. Oh noes.

I do wish the blame others game would stop with this.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a pretty bad week and not a tourist in sight - don't know why so many people seem to have trouble sticking to the road.

One landed up in the Auckland Harbour last night:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/970...harbour-bridge

Another (Nissan Skyline say no more) mounted pavement outside school this morning.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/loc...chool-Auckland

This fella decided to took a short cut from five storey car park:

Driver's kiss before plunging five storeys from Newmarket car park - NZ Herald