Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Russian spies in the Kiwistan?

Russian spies in the Kiwistan?

Old Apr 18th 2018, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russian spies in the Kiwistan?

Originally Posted by Charismatic
However in my view the military expenditure (circa 1.1% of GDP) is the price of vigilance. We should not take our blessings for granted. Even people who haven’t made a claim have house insurance.
Happy to see 2.5 billion dollars simply thrown away

Who do you think is posing a threat to us. Who is looking likely to want to invade
Old Apr 19th 2018, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Bobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just about who wants to invade and the whole 'war' side that the armed forces are normally seen for. It's about national security as a whole.

There are generally considered to be 6 layers of national security;

Physical Security (the normal way people view the armed forces)
Political security
Economic Security
Ecological Security
Resource Security (energy and the like)
Computer security

How many of those doe the NZ Defence Forces help with.

Think back to the Christchurch earthquakes, how many Defence Force personnel were deployed to assist? About 1500 plus if my memory serves me well. They provided security, food, medical supplies, transport, the list goes on. The military is not just big one war machine as so many people see it, but a force that can aid other civil authorities when needed.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It is the duty of all citizens to check under all beds in the household every day. These Reds are damn clever !
Old Apr 19th 2018, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

So why not disband and set up a civil authority to assist in emergency situations.
I just can't see the need for a military force in NZ
Old Apr 20th 2018, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
So why not disband and set up a civil authority to assist in emergency situations.
I just can't see the need for a military force in NZ
Civil authority relies on volunteers, whose training and professionalism is related to the time they can commit to, they may not be able to turn up at a moments notice. Equally being able to deploy means delays in getting to lift off points and back again, every one knows how terrible the traffic is

On another note if the 1942 battle for the coral sea had gone the other way, who would have 'stood to' on behalf of a country that had refused to plan to defend itself.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikemike
On another note if the 1942 battle for the coral sea had gone the other way, who would have 'stood to' on behalf of a country that had refused to plan to defend itself.
And if my mum had a dick she'd have been my dad
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
And if my mum had a dick she'd have been my dad
I just do not see the point of a comment as ignorant as the one you have just made.

I can understand you not wishing to agree with anyone.

Yet your comment somewhat plumbs the depths
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

It simply highlights the stupidity of the comment it was in answer to

I dont care what you think
get over it

Last edited by Justcol; Apr 22nd 2018 at 8:42 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Sweden and Switzerland have long been recognised and accepted as neutral states, perhaps such a role for NZ could be envisaged. Those two countries have highly effective armed forces as they accept responsibility for their own defence. So why should NZ be different?

The comment was far from stupid and if you gave your loan brain cell half a chance you would have realized that for yourself.

I note a lot of your posts on other topics are confrontational for no other reason than you choose to do so.

Perhaps the person who needs to get over it is you. If this BB had the facility to place a person on ignore , you would have had this privilege. That is does not just means you will not receive any responses from me on this subject or any other when your post is seen, you are just not worth it.

Have a nice day
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
Sweden and Switzerland have long been recognised and accepted as neutral states, perhaps such a role for NZ could be envisaged. Those two countries have highly effective armed forces as they accept responsibility for their own defence. So why should NZ be different?
Well, because I imagine the Australians would be pretty annoyed at being told "piss off, you're own your own" by little NZ, and would end the Special Category Visa in retaliation for NZ ending the military alliance. 15% of all New Zealand Citizens live in Australia and I don't know how many are on the SCV, let's say half, well 300,000 forced repatriations, probably all of them very angry, would not augur well for the Government of the Day.

0.05% of all Australian Citizens live in New Zealand. Australia could pull the plug on the SCV and suffer no domestic backlash whatsoever (and, many Australians are pushing for that now, claiming Kiwis are taking Aussie jobs in a downturn).

Nobody expects New Zealand to contribute much beyond the very token measures it does now. Can't imagine what permanent neutrality would actually net NZ, other than to needlessly antagonise allies who would then retaliate.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Carcajou, you raise a very valid point

Any thoughts on NZ retaining a military of any sort, rather than straight civil defence?

Last edited by mikemike; Apr 22nd 2018 at 12:10 pm.