NZ - home of DIY

Old Jul 31st 2017, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default NZ - home of DIY

<http://www.nzherald.co.nz/plumbers-gasfitters-and-drainlayers-board/news/ article.cfm?c_id=1504336&objectid=11893603>

Apparently it is illegal to fit your own toilet; must pay a Tradie or face a massive fine.

Jobs for the boys, or what?

I fitted a complete bathroom and all that was needed was a visit from the Building Inspector to confirm that he was happy about the way that I had connected the new run into the main drains, and the falls on the various pipes.

Toilet fitted, soil pipe through the wall and into a new stack, trench dug and new entry to the side of the manhole.

So what is the big problem?
Restrictive practices?
Old Aug 1st 2017, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ - home of DIY

The new toilets have hidden pipe fittings so its not as easy for an inspector to check. I presume the regulation is to do with health and safety.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

The only people that pay tradesmen to do work are those that can't do it themselves. To be fair in Canterbury it is nigh on impossible to get a tradesman to do anything, they are far too busy building from new to want to come and do work for a private customer. Private customers are far too needy and want quotes and extras for nothing. Carry on as you were in the UK, I certainly have
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
The new toilets have hidden pipe fittings so its not as easy for an inspector to check. I presume the regulation is to do with health and safety.
Yes and no.

However I assume the regulations are to make sure you employ a Tradie and give loads of money to them, because it is administered by their trade association. No vested interest there, then.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is even worse, illegal to even change plugs on appliances