Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can I bring over lotions and potions...

Can I bring over lotions and potions...

Old Aug 17th 2017, 7:44 am
Just Joined

KarinaR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I bring over lotions and potions...

Hi,
Would you suggest stockpiling on the lotions/ potions that we use a lot of in the UK? Is the cost of toiletries a lot higher in NZ? If so, I guess it would probably make sense to bring over a few extra bottles of perfume, any make up bits that I use etc?

Also, what about herbal bits and bobs? Herbal teas and herbal supplements? There are a few things that I use regularly and swear by... can I bulk buy these and put them in my container or suitcase?

Thanks!
K
Old Aug 17th 2017, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I bring over lotions and potions...

Originally Posted by KarinaR
Hi,
Would you suggest stockpiling on the lotions/ potions that we use a lot of in the UK? Is the cost of toiletries a lot higher in NZ? If so, I guess it would probably make sense to bring over a few extra bottles of perfume, any make up bits that I use etc?

Also, what about herbal bits and bobs? Herbal teas and herbal supplements? There are a few things that I use regularly and swear by... can I bulk buy these and put them in my container or suitcase?

Thanks!
K
I wouldn't necessarily suggest you do it
We did, or should I say the wife did.
She stockpiled on prescription meds from the GP as she was worried they wouldn't be the same here ....but be careful as legally you are only allowed to ship maximum 3 months worth of prescription meds. She also stockpiled perfume, UK nappies, nappy bags, paracetamol/brufen tabs plus lots of other adult and kids lotions and potions. Good stuff to stockpile if you have kids is Metanium, Olbas Oil, Vicks rub, Calpol sachets, oh and the really good nasal spray for adults....whatever it's called as it's a fortune here.
Over the counter or supermarket shelf remedies you know like Strepsils and all that jazz possibly the best stuff to bring as they are a lot more expensive here.
Don't see why you can't bulk buy herbal stuff if that's what you want to do.

Just be aware that ANYTHING you bring along should have been owned by you for a minimum of 12 months or Customs have the right to charge import duty and GST......may not come to much on a £1.50 box of paracetamol but if they add that in with the duty on the new kettle, toaster, bed, LCD TV etc it could total a lot.....highly unlikely but always a potential there that your container gets pulled for a random inspection.
If you buy anything new and don't use it before you ship it is a good idea to remove all the new packaging - just keep the instructions. Place whatever it is in a moving box or wrap it up in packaging like you would if it was used. It hides the fact that the item is new should your container get pulled for a random check by Customs. Unlikely you'll need the receipt as it's not like you'll be posting it back if it breaks before it's 12 months old

Make sure you check on the NZ Customs and NZ MPI websites and that of your airline to ensure whatever you have in your container or luggage isn't restricted or banned from entry. If there's any doubt, leave it behind. It's not worth stressing whether you can bring a box of herbal tea bags or whatever. NZ isn't a third world country...it has all the things you are used to, they're just different and you haven't as much choice
Old Aug 17th 2017, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It will depend on what stuff you're wanting and which brands you prefer but I would recommend a bit of a shop up in Boots and Superdrug for all of your favourite things, as stuff can be a lot more expensive and may not be so readily available here.

Here's just one example of something I have got my eye on which is 34 quid in Boots and is an eye-watering NZ $99 here:

Clinique Moisture Surge Hydrating Supercharged Concentrate, 50ml - Clinique

The Body Shop is hugely expensive here, so suggest you stock up on any favourites from there.

Hence, I do most of my shopping for skin and hair care products online at major beauty e-tailers such as Cult Beauty and Feelunique who always have offers, freebies and free international delivery. There's a few other Aussie sites too. Cult Beauty usually come out at pretty good prices, as they take off the VAT .

Clinique stuff can be a bit more tricky to source online and I need to check it out a bit more but glad you made me looks as I found the above for AU$69 here: https://www.adorebeauty.com.au/clini...ntrate-50.html

and NZ $55.00 here https://nz.strawberrynet.com/product...d=supercharged

Thankfully the world is opening up and things they are constantly improving on the shopping front, we now have: https://www.sephora.nz/categories/skincare and Discover the best selection of beauty products | MECCA

There's also a few Aussie and Kiwi brands that are now firm favourites with me and worth checking out. I really like: Natio, Antipodes and Trilogy which you can often pick up 3 for 2 or on special at Skincare - Beauty
Old Aug 17th 2017, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Scottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
I wouldn't necessarily suggest you do it
We did, or should I say the wife did.
She stockpiled on prescription meds from the GP as she was worried they wouldn't be the same here ....but be careful as legally you are only allowed to ship maximum 3 months worth of prescription meds. She also stockpiled perfume, UK nappies, nappy bags, paracetamol/brufen tabs plus lots of other adult and kids lotions and potions. Good stuff to stockpile if you have kids is Metanium, Olbas Oil, Vicks rub, Calpol sachets, oh and the really good nasal spray for adults....whatever it's called as it's a fortune here.
Over the counter or supermarket shelf remedies you know like Strepsils and all that jazz possibly the best stuff to bring as they are a lot more expensive here.
Don't see why you can't bulk buy herbal stuff if that's what you want to do.

Just be aware that ANYTHING you bring along should have been owned by you for a minimum of 12 months or Customs have the right to charge import duty and GST......may not come to much on a £1.50 box of paracetamol but if they add that in with the duty on the new kettle, toaster, bed, LCD TV etc it could total a lot.....highly unlikely but always a potential there that your container gets pulled for a random inspection.
If you buy anything new and don't use it before you ship it is a good idea to remove all the new packaging - just keep the instructions. Place whatever it is in a moving box or wrap it up in packaging like you would if it was used. It hides the fact that the item is new should your container get pulled for a random check by Customs. Unlikely you'll need the receipt as it's not like you'll be posting it back if it breaks before it's 12 months old

Make sure you check on the NZ Customs and NZ MPI websites and that of your airline to ensure whatever you have in your container or luggage isn't restricted or banned from entry. If there's any doubt, leave it behind. It's not worth stressing whether you can bring a box of herbal tea bags or whatever. NZ isn't a third world country...it has all the things you are used to, they're just different and you haven't as much choice
I was thinking of stocking up on nappies, nappy sacks and sudo cream here, did you put all that in your container?!

Sorry to hijack your thread with my own questions 🙈
Old Aug 17th 2017, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much @escapedtonz and @Bo-Jangles, both really helpful. And those links are great, thank you!

I'll definitely do a big boots shop and put it all in the container then!
Old Aug 17th 2017, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I can be hard to comprehend that we have absolutely nothing and I mean nothing that is comparable to Boots or Superdrug.

We do have Pharmacy - LifePharmacy in most high streets and malls but I rarely cross the threshold except for medical needs.

We also have Shampoo n Things in most malls for higher end / salon hair products https://shop.rodneywayne.co.nz/collections/shampoo

Otherwise it's supermarket https://shop.countdown.co.nz/?banner.../personal-care
Old Aug 17th 2017, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just another random example:

3 for 2 in Boots GBP 7.99

L'Oreal Paris Pure Clay Purity Mask 50ml - Boots

In the supermarket here NZ$24.99

https://shop.countdown.co.nz/Shop/Br...purify-mattify

In the Pharmacy NZ$28.99

http://www.lifepharmacy.co.nz/p/LOre...ml?i=255834968

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Aug 17th 2017 at 11:26 am.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Oh wow!! Sounds like I'm really going to miss Boots. I better spend all my advantage card points before the big move!
Old Aug 17th 2017, 7:54 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

just remember anything you do put in the container will go through extreme temperature changes, from extremely cold to very hot.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
just remember anything you do put in the container will go through extreme temperature changes, from extremely cold to very hot.
Oh thanks, I hadn't thought of that.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scottishedo
I was thinking of stocking up on nappies, nappy sacks and sudo cream here, did you put all that in your container?!

Sorry to hijack your thread with my own questions 🙈
Yes but not sudocrem. Go for Metanium instead. Sudocrem has been proven to sting irratated skin....which is a bit ironic when it's supposed to help!
Old Aug 18th 2017, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Scottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Yes but not sudocrem. Go for Metanium instead. Sudocrem has been proven to sting irratated skin....which is a bit ironic when it's supposed to help!
Oh I didn't know now that! Mine haven't been bothered with nappy rash yet just want to be prepared!