Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Short notice trip to the UK

Short notice trip to the UK

Old Oct 11th 2017, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice
Default Short notice trip to the UK

Hi guys,

I haven't been around here for a fair while, so swimmingly has the transition to becoming a kiwi gone! I arrived 4 and a half years ago and became a resident this January via work to residence. I also just voted for the first time .

Sadly my grandmother in the UK is in very poor health and it's not looking good. I'll be looking at booking a flight very soon depending on news, so any tips on lowering the cost would be good as it's caught me on the hop a bit - I have a trip booked for Christmas, so hoping insurance can cover cancelling that if needed.

Anything else to think about taking care of would be good.

Thanks,

Chris
Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:13 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Short notice trip to the UK

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.
The only thing you can really do with flights is look around, try booking a day that most people don't really want to fly on and they do say looking on a Tuesday is cheaper. not sure if its true but worth a go I guess.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Sorry to hear about your grandmother.
The only thing you can really do with flights is look around, try booking a day that most people don't really want to fly on and they do say looking on a Tuesday is cheaper. not sure if its true but worth a go I guess.
Thanks or that. I decided to go to the bank and ask for a credit card to at least allow me to purchase quickly and go if/when needed. I was probably more worried about cashflow, but this will help. See how it goes, but thanks again.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisWilson7
Anything else to think about taking care of would be good.
dont leave it too late

When my mum went I shot over as soon as I could but she passed before I got there.
You only get to say goodbye once.

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
try booking a day that most people don't really want to fly on and they do say looking on a Tuesday is cheaper. not sure if its true but worth a go I guess.
Thursdays are generally cheapest

Last edited by Justcol; Oct 12th 2017 at 7:00 am.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Contact China Southern immediately.

Cheapest airline by a mile. You may get a return for about $1700. One stop at Guangzhou and you won't need a China visa since you'll be in transit for less than 72 hours.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom H
Contact China Southern immediately.

Cheapest airline by a mile. You may get a return for about $1700. One stop at Guangzhou and you won't need a China visa since you'll be in transit for less than 72 hours.
Dont know where your'e searching Tom but its easy to beat 1700
even short notice its only 1429 with Qatar

skyscanner flying out next week (just play around with departure and return dates to find the best price)

Last edited by Justcol; Oct 13th 2017 at 12:10 am.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

The other tip, and it requires more planning, is to break up the journey and book from other countries. Can sometimes work out cheaper.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Baz036 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been using ITA for the last few years - seven or eight - and have found it excellent.

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Just note YOU CANNOT BOOK on the sight only gain details of flight combinations that will work for you. Once you have the details take them to a friendly travel agent and ask them to book the flights for you.

First time we did it they baulked at the prices asking 'where did you get these?' but eventually came round and charge us $70 to $100 for their time. Was still cheaper.

Gradually finding airlines that do not allow their schedules to be pillaged (Ryanair is one - never mind) but it works all over the globe.

Good luck
Old Oct 18th 2017, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Baz036 is an unknown quantity at this point

In the next couple of weeks cheapest i found was $1271