Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

General Election UK

General Election UK

Old Apr 18th 2017, 10:31 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default General Election UK

8th May.

So now have to read all the mandates and see if we have to register
Old Apr 18th 2017, 12:01 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Election UK

Pretty sure it's 8th June.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

I'm past the 15 year cut-off, which means I don't have to vote for Jeremy
Old Apr 18th 2017, 10:05 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Snap Shot, yep 8th June.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:02 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully this time people in the UK bother to actually turn out to vote instead of just moaning about the outcomes. Nothing will change in politics unless you vote for people who will change things.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Hopefully this time people in the UK bother to actually turn out to vote instead of just moaning about the outcomes. Nothing will change in politics unless you vote for people who will change things.
and
Old Apr 20th 2017, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Nothing will change in politics unless you vote for people who will change things.
Are there any real differences between the major parties?

Economically no! They are all right-wing neoliberals.

Despite the fact that Jeremy Corbyn sort policy advice from Richard Murphy (Tax Research UK) on Modern Money Theory [at the time there was hope that British Labour would adopt it], John McDonnell has turned out to be the usual cowardly deficit hawk*

*As has New Zealand's Labour/Green alliance who recently announced their "Budget Responsibility Policy Pact"
Old Apr 20th 2017, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoCarb
Are there any real differences between the major parties?

Economically no! They are all right-wing neoliberals.

Despite the fact that Jeremy Corbyn sort policy advice from Richard Murphy (Tax Research UK) on Modern Money Theory [at the time there was hope that British Labour would adopt it], John McDonnell has turned out to be the usual cowardly deficit hawk*

*As has New Zealand's Labour/Green alliance who recently announced their "Budget Responsibility Policy Pact"
No real differences between the major parties??? discounting the other parties, as there's more chance of man landing on mars than a non tory or labour led government being elected, there's massive differences between a May led Tory Party and Corbyn Labour.

I've a still vote having registered to vote in the BR EXIT referendum, but don't know whether I'll bother with it being in one of safest seats in the country, it means either way my vote counts for nothing in first past the post system.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
No real differences between the major parties??? discounting the other parties, as there's more chance of man landing on mars than a non tory or labour led government being elected, there's massive differences between a May led Tory Party and Corbyn Labour.
British Labour is no longer a progressive party of the left.

Hasn't been since the days of Tony Benn.

Labour & Conservatives both adhere to Monetarist (now Neoliberal) economic theory, so there is no difference, and no choice for a progressive voter.

Same in New Zealand.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 11:18 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Ageing societies do tend to become more conservative. I'm not sure if a truely left wing party could survive in this political climate.

Still one feels one must choose the lesser of a few evils. Even opting not to vote is making a choice and in my view the worst choice of all.

Last edited by Charismatic; Apr 20th 2017 at 11:20 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

It would be nice to have a choice.

Since Jim Anderton retired (NZ Alliance Party) there are no left leaning parties in NZ.

Even the Greens are neoliberals economically (twits!).

There was some hope in the US with Bernie Sanders receiving strong support from voters. But the deceitful Democrats put paid to that.

Interestingly, Bernie's top financial advisor was Professor Stephanie Kelton a MMT economist. Although not part of his election policy, there was hope that he would start following through with some Modern Money policies.

Last edited by LoCarb; Apr 21st 2017 at 12:39 am.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 10:35 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Perhaps I’m just cranky from getting up early to go to the ANZAC memorial this morning (why did we even bother going to bed?) but when I read about the UK election I’m often disappointed that the level of political discourse is very shallow and superficial. There is the odd person who makes a salient or pressing point but it’s quickly drowned in cheerleading, opinion and over analysis.

Which brings me back to my first point, how can a politician or political party articulate the type of complex, nuanced and balanced discussion needed to actually make progress if voters are extremely challenged by any political dialogue that isn’t extremely simplistic. Politics requires the judicious application of human intellect but the average voter in the UK is a bit more...ELI5 shall we say.

Regardless of our political opinion let's try not to do that here in New Zealand.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

You can blame Thatcher's TINA for that, because people don't believe there is any alternative to neoliberalism.

This is the message that the media both right (Telegraph) and supposed left (Guardian) and the pro government BBC stooges promote daily.

No true analysis or understanding on where we are headed or where we came from.

For instance, who knew that NZ unemployment was 20 persons in 1960 or that Robert Muldoon (former NZ PM) claimed that unemployment was so low that he knew the names of all the unemployed.*

These examples show that there was, and still could be an alternative to the BS that neoliberals spout (for there own benefit mind).

Understanding just how government finances operate under a fiat monetary system like we have now, and not under a fixed exchange/gold standard of 40 years ago would be a start.

Mainstream economics (neoliberalism) is still based on gold standard theory and believe-it-or not, this is the way economics is still taught at university.
The gold standard failed, that's why we abandoned it, but we still operate as though government is restricted by it.

*This is because government would always be a backstop to unemployment.

Last edited by LoCarb; Apr 25th 2017 at 12:48 am.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Tories will win on 8 June. Nothing surer.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

"I would love to elect a government led by someone both competent and humane, but this option will not be on the ballot paper. The choice today is between brutal efficiency in pursuit of a disastrous agenda, and gentle inefficiency in pursuit of a better world. I know which I favour."
George Monbiot. The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...MCNEWEML6619I2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.