British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Cucumber News (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cucumber-news-881215/)

barnsleymat Jul 31st 2016 2:54 am

Cucumber News

1 Attachment(s)
With the British Expats NZ forum hot topic at the minute being cucumbers I thought these pesky green treats deserved their own thread, who doesn't like discussing cucumbers, I know I sure do!

I want any cucumber related stories adding to this thread, I think the cucumber will overtake tomatoes price, electricity price, Auckland house prices and milk price as the price discuss in NZ.

So here's my first bit of cucumber news:

NZ Cucumbers are still the preserve of the well off here in Dunedin, I've done a price check today and they're still a wopping $6 at Countup supermarket even though on the countdown website they're listed as being in season. I can only presume the season they're referring to is silly season!

I've expressed my cucumber concern to my UK friends via social media, they were as shocked as me, one friend thought the price was for a dozen cucumbers as when checking on MySupermarket they're on average about 40p ($0.75). But then came the atomic bomb of cucumber news, a fellow BE member that recently left Dunedin for the UK bought half of one yesterday for 8p, yes, eight english pence from a shop in Holmfirth, the home of Last of the Summers Wine. Maybe this is the place to be if you like salad and watching elderly men roll down a hill in a bath whilst being chased my a rotund battleaxe armed with a mop and saggy stockings. There is a picture attached of her proud bargain, I think it probably deserved a video to be honest.

............. then the even bigger news broke, it cause shock waves around my house. My brother had been in Asda earlier snooping around the 'whoopies' products and only saw full cucumbers on sale at 2p each, at todays exchange rate that's an incredible 163 and a half times cheaper than here in Dunedin. He was obviously feeling flush as he bagged himself 4 of the long slender green beauties. He love Cucumbers every bit as much as I do, our love of cucumbers run in the family. WHAT A DAY TO BE ALIVE!!!

Back to the studio.

PS. I've had to leave the bit of cucumber news out about how sex toys are cheaper than NZ cucumbers knowing this is a family forum.

jmh Jul 31st 2016 4:01 am

Re: Cucumber News

Makes you wonder how much the farmers are getting paid at those prices.

scrubbedexpat094 Jul 31st 2016 4:19 am

E bah gum! I remember t'days when we all used to discuss the difficulty of buying a decent sausage int New Zealand. How times move on, things just aren't t'same anymore :cry_smile:

LittleGreyCat Jul 31st 2016 12:36 pm

I had a quick look but couldn't find these in NZ.
Cucumber 'Burpless Tasty Green' F1 Hybrid - Salad Seeds - Thompson & Morgan
They grow well outdoors, crop heavily, and are pretty good to eat.

One of the many seeds it would be good to be able to import.

My bad.
Cucumber Tasty Green F1 Hybrid : Egmont Seed Company Ltd, Online seed sales
amongst others.

Strangely, in NZ they are listed as "greenhouse" but in the UK they are listed as "outdoors".
Must be because of our better climate in the UK.:rofl:

Pulaski Jul 31st 2016 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat (Post 12016337)
I had a quick look but couldn't find these in NZ.
Cucumber 'Burpless Tasty Green' F1 Hybrid - Salad Seeds - Thompson & Morgan
They grow well outdoors, crop heavily, and are pretty good to eat.

One of the many seeds it would be good to be able to import.

My bad.
Cucumber Tasty Green F1 Hybrid : Egmont Seed Company Ltd, Online seed sales
amongst others.

Strangely, in NZ they are listed as "greenhouse" but in the UK they are listed as "outdoors".
Must be because of our better climate in the UK. ....

I grew a cucumber plant once in the UK. I grew it in the conservatory/ sunroom, which unfortunately only faced east-southeast. It grew just one cucumber, but it tasted very good! :)

BEVS Jul 31st 2016 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 12016113)
....whilst being chased my a rotund battleaxe armed with a mop and saggy stockings.

Leave my alter ego outta this. My thing is the

Spoiler:
price of tomatoes :scaredhair:

sparklyfrog Aug 1st 2016 11:18 am

Might have to call the whole thing off and stay in the UK. 3yr old has just started eating cucumbers like there's no tomorrow!!! 😂😂😂

Millhouse Aug 1st 2016 11:44 am

do you have the big ones or the little ones?

We have the little ones in the UAE - much more tasty. They are dirt cheap here - probably 4 little ones for around 2dh (0.75cents).

Pica Aug 1st 2016 12:19 pm

I love cucumber and will pay lots for them 'cos they're cool-with cheese.
Saw some shaped like balls (small basketballs) at a market the other day-too weird!

scrubbedexpat094 Aug 1st 2016 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12017059)
do you have the big ones or the little ones?

We have the little ones in the UAE - much more tasty. They are dirt cheap here - probably 4 little ones for around 2dh (0.75cents).

Yep, we have those Mill house. They are called Lebanese cucumbers in these parts and are also hideously expensive.

Millhouse Aug 2nd 2016 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 12017501)
Yep, we have those Mill house. They are called Lebanese cucumbers in these parts and are also hideously expensive.

why are they so expensive? can't you grow them in NZ?

What about tomatoes?

Pom_Chch Aug 2nd 2016 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12017691)
why are they so expensive? can't you grow them in NZ?

What about tomatoes?

Oh Millhouse no, not the T word!!! :scarper:

Millhouse Aug 2nd 2016 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 12017701)
Oh Millhouse no, not the T word!!! :scarper:

Wow - I googled the price - about 10-13NZ$ / Kg -- that's like 8x more than we pay :lol:

I have you on rent and utilities though - insane here.

Pom_Chch Aug 2nd 2016 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12017706)
Wow - I googled the price - about 10-13NZ$ / Kg -- that's like 8x more than we pay :lol:

I have you on rent and utilities though - insane here.

Tomatoes are out of season in winter. In summer you can pick them up for 99c/kilo, sometimes 79c...those are good times!

Millhouse Aug 2nd 2016 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 12017708)
Tomatoes are out of season in winter. In summer you can pick them up for 99c/kilo, sometimes 79c...those are good times!

so what's the deal with the cucumbers? they grow in the same climate as Toms?