Cucumber News

Old Aug 24th 2016, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cucumber News

For lunch today I had a load of this

Tesco Whole Cucumber Each - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

with fresh cherry tomatoes, rocket leaf salad and a huge wedge of red leicester cheese with fresh bread straight out the breadmaker. Whole thing was under £2.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 8:17 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Now Ernie dragged him from his van and beneath the blazing sun,
They stood there face to face, and Ted went for his bun.
But Ernie was too quick, things didn't go the way Ted planned,
And a strawberry-flavoured yogurt sent it spinning from his hand.

Now Susie ran between them and tried to keep them apart,
And Ernie, he pushed her aside and a rock cake caught him underneath his heart.
And he looked up in pained surprise and the concrete hardened crust,
Of a stale pork pie caught him in the eye and Ernie bit the dust.
oh that brought back memories
Old Aug 24th 2016, 10:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
For lunch today I had a load of this

Tesco Whole Cucumber Each - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

with fresh cherry tomatoes, rocket leaf salad and a huge wedge of red leicester cheese with fresh bread straight out the breadmaker. Whole thing was under £2.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

I planted four cucumber plants in the veg garden today - next the roadside stall - my wife is already looking at diamond pendants
Old Aug 25th 2016, 1:20 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

A noticed a Guardian article yesterday where immigrants in NZ were discussing life there ... and someone mentioned buying a cucumber for $6.50. I thought, that's fighting talk, that is

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...in-new-zealand
Old Aug 25th 2016, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Cucumber News has finally gone global.

It was only a matter of time.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 2:23 am
`

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
A noticed a Guardian article yesterday where immigrants in NZ were discussing life there ... and someone mentioned buying a cucumber for $6.50. I thought, that's fighting talk, that is
Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Cucumber News has finally gone global.

It was only a matter of time.
Was that you Barnsleymat incognito

There are some good balanced viewpoints within that article TBH.

I do feel that it is a certain sort of immigrant that defends the inflated prices of fruit/veg at certain times of the year here. Most of the locals around me berate the high prices & don't bleat on about buy in season. They want what they want, when they want it ... at an affordable price.

Sounds a bit normal to me .
Old Aug 25th 2016, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Not me, but he does talk a lot of sense. He's spot on about the beer prices and measures too, it's scandalous.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Bevs

I don't understand why NZ doesn't have a year round supply of cheaper cucumbers and tomoatoes. With a decent greenhouse they can be grown all year round in almost the whole UK and NZ is supposed to be a much better climate for growing them!
Old Aug 25th 2016, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

They can be grown year round, certainly up north, but:

a) greenhouses are expensive
b) some people don't have the space/green fingers/energy
c) more fun whinging about commercial costs.

On the commercial side - distribution costs in NZ are high and it is a relatively small market. I don't understand how the local citrus growers survive selling mandarins etc at $4 for a largish string bag.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 1:08 am
`

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
Sorry Bevs

I don't understand why NZ doesn't have a year round supply of cheaper cucumbers and tomoatoes. With a decent greenhouse they can be grown all year round in almost the whole UK and NZ is supposed to be a much better climate for growing them!
Neither do I Hazlenut. Neither do I.

One time I will remember to take my life in my hands and stop on our Route60 to take photo evidence of the ma-hoossive greenhouses hereabouts all housing mythical salad items........for export.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS
Neither do I Hazlenut. Neither do I.

One time I will remember to take my life in my hands and stop on our Route60 to take photo evidence of the ma-hoossive greenhouses hereabouts all housing mythical salad items........for export.
Which seems to translate as we are paying the going rate or why export?
Old Aug 26th 2016, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Now you have all planted your cucumbers in garden tubs or the flower garden I thought this would fascinate you (to cope with the imminent glut)

SO MUCH MORE THAN A CUCUMBER

Uses for your cucumbers:
-Rubbing a cucumber slice over your bathroom mirror eliminates the fogging up.
-Place a few slices in a small aluminium pie tin to repel bugs and slugs. Apparently the cucumber and aluminium give off a scent that makes pests flee the area.
-Fight the afternoon or evening snack craving by eating cucumber. They are a good energy restorer and beat that coffee or tea caffeine fix, lasting for several hours.
-Avoid a hangover or headache by eating a few slices before going to bed. The sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes replenish the nutrients your body needs.
-Give your shoes a quick polish with a slice of cucumber. Provides a great shine that also repels water.
-Fix a squeaky hinge by rubbing it with a cucumber slice.
-Eliminate bad breath by pressing a slice of cucumber to the roof of your mouth for 30 seconds.
-Clean taps, sinks and stainless steel with a slice of cucumber. Apparently it even removes tarnish and leaves no streaks.
-Run the outside of a cucumber over pen, crayon or marker writing. It will slowly remove those adorable scribbles made by kids on your walls.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 3:00 am
`

Originally Posted by Kotare
Which seems to translate as we are paying the going rate or why export?
Or paying an inflated rate as there are no import costs. One of the things that might inflate the prices would be heating costs.

Originally Posted by Kotare
Now you have all planted your cucumbers in garden tubs or the flower garden I thought this would fascinate you (to cope with the imminent glut)
I'm not planting until the frosts have gone. My glass house is not heated.

Good tips for cucumber use. Not a naughty suggestion among them.
Old Aug 27th 2016, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

All this talk about cucumbers made me wonder about polytunnels.

A quick search suggests that such things are available in NZ, however it wouldn't take much space to bring a new one across.

Anyone here using a polytunnel to grow cucumbers (or even the dreaded tomato)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.