Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Born in the 40's, 50's 60's and 70's?

Born in the 40's, 50's 60's and 70's?

Old Jul 31st 2008, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

malcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Born in the 40's, 50's 60's and 70's?

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead based paints.

We had no child proof lids on medecine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitch hiking.

As kids, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a van-loose-was always great fun.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drinks with four friends, from one bottle and NO-ONE actually died from this.

We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because.........
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING..

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on.

No-one was able to reach us all day, and we were ok.

We would spend hoursbuilding our go-karts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Nintendo's, Playstations, X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 tv channels on cable, no video movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no internet or chat rooms.....WE HAD FRIENDS and we went and found them.

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We played with mud pies made from earth and ate worms and they didn't live inside us forever.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out any eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to our friends house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them.

Local teams had tryouts fand not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with the disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of parents bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. THEY ACTUALLY SIDED WITH THE LAW

This generation has produced some of the best risk takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

AND YOU ARE ONE OF THEM.

CONGRATULATIONS!

WHILE YOU ARE ON, FORWARD IT TO YOUR KIDS SO THEY WILL KNOW HOW BRAVE THEIR PARENTS WERE.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with a pair of scissors.

P.S The big type is because you are getting on ow and the sight will be going.

Old Jul 31st 2008, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Born in the 40's, 50's 60's and 70's?

Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Smilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really nice

We even walked to school ..... even when it was raining (remember souwesters)

In fact we walked everywhere.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 1:00 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

i was born in the 1980 and did most of that

Although i always wore a crash helmet
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 11:17 pm
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Born in 59
I lost count of how many times I have said of late that 'We are raising a generation of wimps' (The parents of today).

It's not the kids it's the parents - My father is now raising one of his grandchildren, Mathew is now 5 and the difference in how he raised us and treated my sons is - well you can't compare.

We have a motto for when it rains and it's simple Skin dries, clothes take longer so just wear shorts and t-shirt. Mathew doesn't go out if it's raining.

If we fell over he laughed and turned it into a joke. He cuddles Mathew and sympathises with him.

He threw my 18 month old son into the sea at Piha, he holds Mathews hand when paddling in shallow water.

We we're dropped off somewhere or more often than not walked. He stays with Mathew at all times (except when he's at school).

My initial thoughs were that he felt more responsible as Mathew is his grandson and not his son, but no. I think he's just mimicking modern day parenting as my eldest brother is also raising one of his grandchildren and is exactly the same (He lives in Australia).

We we're brought up with a more realistic look of life - you can and will fail at times, so pick yourself up and look for something you can do. Kids are now raised to believe their is no such thing as failure so don't know how to cope with it.

Sickness was virtually unheard of now people take time off work for headache (not a migraine).

Don't get me wrong, my dad is brilliant he was always their for us and still is, he was and is my best friend.

I will say it again, we are now raising wimps.

Pauline
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Born 67,my kids are 8 and 5.
I feel I am raising my sons in a weird world of spoiled pandered to kids. If they fall I tell them to get up and run it off. My friends look at me weirdly. If they want to play computer games they do it only after dinner at night and even then only if the weather's bad that they can't go out.My friends think I'm mad as they get peace if theirs are on the DS's or PS3's.They are encouraged to go on bikes,skateboards,scooters etc. They play rugby and do judo.They have to do chores to earn pocket money and treats like a popcorn night. They keep telling me that none of their friends have to do any of this and you know,they're right. I don't want them being couch potatoes or spoiled expecting to get just for getting because their pals have it. Big reason why we want to move to NZ.

Phyllis
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 9:53 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by weejie
Born 67,my kids are 8 and 5.
I feel I am raising my sons in a weird world of spoiled pandered to kids. If they fall I tell them to get up and run it off. My friends look at me weirdly. If they want to play computer games they do it only after dinner at night and even then only if the weather's bad that they can't go out.My friends think I'm mad as they get peace if theirs are on the DS's or PS3's.They are encouraged to go on bikes,skateboards,scooters etc. They play rugby and do judo.They have to do chores to earn pocket money and treats like a popcorn night. They keep telling me that none of their friends have to do any of this and you know,they're right. I don't want them being couch potatoes or spoiled expecting to get just for getting because their pals have it. Big reason why we want to move to NZ.

Phyllis
Well done Phyllis

My 23 year old has just read your reply and thought I had written it and then saw the ages. I remember David (now 23) telling me at the age of 13 about his friend having loads of games for his playstation and asking why he couldn't. My simple reply was his friend never saw his parents as they were always at work.
He used to ask why I couldn't just 'smack' him when he was naughty as I always found the weakness and used it. I also used self punishment, gave the boys a time out and told them to come back when they were ready.

You get back from your kids what you give. If you spend no time developing your children and leave it all to the TV and playstation you don't develop such a strong family bond.
Children need boundaries it provides safety and security, they also need limitations and consequences it's what life is all about.

Pauline