Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone know about cell phones??

Anyone know about cell phones??

Old Nov 2nd 2010, 4:06 am
Just Joined

albax72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Anyone know about cell phones??

Ive got two brand new LG mobiles lying here i cant use. Theyre both tied to the Orange network and i cant find anyone willing to unlock them for me in the Tauranga area. Vodafone and Telecom cant help me. Any ideas? Please help. Decent mobiles here are just too expensive!

Last edited by albax72; Nov 2nd 2010 at 4:09 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 7:16 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know about cell phones??

Originally Posted by albax72
Ive got two brand new LG mobiles lying here i cant use. Theyre both tied to the Orange network and i cant find anyone willing to unlock them for me in the Tauranga area. Vodafone and Telecom cant help me. Any ideas? Please help. Decent mobiles here are just too expensive!
Some LG's can be unlocked by yourself. What model are they?
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 7:40 am
Just Joined

albax72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sirplug
Some LG's can be unlocked by yourself. What model are they?
theyre both LG gt505. would appreciate any info you can give me.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 7:49 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anyone know about cell phones??

Originally Posted by albax72
theyre both LG gt505. would appreciate any info you can give me.
1. Turn phone on without simcard
2. Press telephone icon at bottom of screen to bring up the phone keypad
3. Enter 2945#*505#
4. A menu will pop up, select sim unlock
5. Enter your unlock code and press ok
6. The phone will then reboot and the unlock is complete (hopefully)

Don’t got to telecon of vodafone, they just want to get you to buy one of their new overpriced phones (all sales, no service ). Go to your small back street electronics repair shop and ask them.

ETA: Or do this http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/archive/t-868497.html

Last edited by Charismatic; Nov 2nd 2010 at 7:52 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

If Charismatic's suggestions don't work, I used these guys: http://www.thephoneunlockers.com/ to unlock my Blackberry in February so I could use it on the Vodafone network out here.

It's a chargeable service, but it worked for me without any hiccups whatsoever.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 9:12 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
1. Turn phone on without simcard
2. Press telephone icon at bottom of screen to bring up the phone keypad
3. Enter 2945#*505#
4. A menu will pop up, select sim unlock
5. Enter your unlock code and press ok
6. The phone will then reboot and the unlock is complete (hopefully)

Don’t got to telecon of vodafone, they just want to get you to buy one of their new overpriced phones (all sales, no service ). Go to your small back street electronics repair shop and ask them.

ETA: Or do this http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/archive/t-868497.html
The only snag here is that you need the unlock code. Getting that is the hard part.

A quick search shows that unlocking can only be done with dedicated software. By the time you buy this, you may as well have it unlocked properly. Some LG's (mine) could be unlocked with a simple program downloaded online and plugged into the pc. This model is a little more difficult and could be fatal to the phone. It's the software that draws the unlock code out of the phone. Some sites online offer to sell you the code after giving them the IMEI number and model details : Beware, only use one of these sites from a recommendation and not a search online!

Good luck!
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

gozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nice

whatever you do, do not contact orange in the uk they are robbing b#@!^*ds who took my money and would not unlock the phone . Maybe because i was on the other side of the world and they could not make any more money out of me. In CHCH we take them to the mall where there is stall speciallising in phones . There may be one near you , Just ask any teenager in the mall they will know.
Gozzy

Last edited by gozzy; Nov 14th 2010 at 4:20 am.