Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Amazon/Ebay -moved to The Sheep Dip

Amazon/Ebay -moved to The Sheep Dip

Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

fitzandindiana is on a distinguished road
Default Amazon/Ebay -moved to The Sheep Dip

Does anyone have any problems shopping on line using Amazon and E bay to buy things from when in New Zealand? While in England we tend to do most of our buying online.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazon/Ebay

Originally Posted by fitzandindiana
Does anyone have any problems shopping on line using Amazon and E bay to buy things from when in New Zealand? While in England we tend to do most of our buying online.
I do buy a lot over the internet (u.k) and most books/cds/dvd from Amazon.co.uk. So far I've had no problem - quite happy . in addition it only/usually takes 2~3 days to get here (from the uk) which is amazing! pretty safe and reliable.

However if I order from Amazon.com -> then it's a different story - don't expect too much. It takes 2~3 months to get here! (my cd was lost once - waited for 4 months! ) :curse: rubbish customer service; Yankee's annoying

I am talking about normal/standard shipping costs both from the u.k and the u.s.

Seriously I woudn't live in NZ if I can't make online purchase from Europe

E Bay - I don't personally use ebay. as I can't trust them and the most annoying procedure. I saw/read heaps of scam fraud ebay.

Last edited by crap coffee; Jun 7th 2008 at 9:12 am.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Try www.bookdepository.co.uk for books - it's got free worldwide delivery and seems to be linked to Amazon.

NZ's equivalent of ebay is www.trademe.co.nz
Old Jun 7th 2008, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

thanks for your replies we do buy alot of DVD's and books online so it's nice to know that nothing will really change when we eventually move to nz. We buy alot from Play.com too but not sure if they deliver internationally so might have to forgo that one. I'll take a look at the book site and trademe, can't have too many online stores to browse through in my opinion, the more the merrier.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 1:07 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Play.com don't deliver internationally but Amazon and CD-wow.com do.

If you move somewhere that has a Borders (Wellington does) it's worth subscribing to their email thingies because every week they give you vouchers from 15-50% off a DVD, book or whatever (it changes each week). You can use these multiple times and a 30%C off voucher makes the NZ book price cheap enoogh that it's not worth paying the postage from Amazon.

But Borders NZ has been bought by Whitcoull's so that might all stop
Old Jun 8th 2008, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fitzandindiana
Regularly used the both in the UK, plus other more specific online (cycling, outdoor, electricals etc.) shops. Have used Trade Me in NZ a couple of times so far, but it's no where near as user friendly as Ebay.

There's not the same availability in NZ on the net for many of the things that are so common at home - car insurance for instance, only managed to get one quote online - and that was more expensive than I eventually managed to get. That said car insurance was cheaper than in UK.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Many Thanks for all your replies, i do like internet shopping and so long as we can still buy the occational DVD and book then that should be fine. It's funny how much you take shopping for granted in the uk although since we moved to the Isle of Man we have had to get used to more limited shops hense alot more interent shopping. We come from Sheffield moved here nearly 10 years ago, was the best move we ever made, hopefully moving to NZ will be even better.