Reload this Page >

Visiting UK with my Swedish Permanent Residence Permit

Visiting UK with my Swedish Permanent Residence Permit

Old Apr 16th 2018, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Chalipa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting UK with my Swedish Permanent Residence Permit

Hello Everyone,

I have refugee status with permanent residency here in Sweden and thinking of visiting my brother who is a british citizen in UK.

As per my check, http://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/st...efugee/tourism i can see that i won't need visa if:

HTML Code:
You don’t need a visa if both the following apply:

you have an Article 10 residence card
your partner or family member is your sponsor
now i do i have my residence card issued by migration board in Sweden, and i can travel to the rest of the europe with it, but upon on checking the http://www.gov.uk/government/publica...residence-card

i'm not sure if it's the same resident card, or do i need to apply for something else? if someone can explain this a little more i'd be more than thankful.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 9:21 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting UK with my Swedish Permanent Residence Permit

You can move around the rest of the Schengen Area, of which Sweden is a member, but the UK is not.

If you hold Swedish refugee status then this will not be an Article 10 residence card. You'll need a visitor visa to come to the UK to see your brother.

Does your passport/travel document actually state 'Refugee' or 'Stateless'? Where are you originally from?
Old Apr 16th 2018, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks.

Yes, my travel document states "Stateless" Geneva Convention 1951.

I'm originally from Afghanistan, but I do not have Afghan Passport as i'm a political refugee.

Do you think i can apply from Article 10 residence card?
Old Apr 16th 2018, 10:55 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chalipa
Thanks.

Yes, my travel document states "Stateless" Geneva Convention 1951.

I'm originally from Afghanistan, but I do not have Afghan Passport as i'm a political refugee.

Do you think i can apply from Article 10 residence card?
The 1951 convention deals with refugees; the 1954 convention deals with stateless persons; on your travel document what does the country code say in the machine readable zone at the bottom? AFG, XXA, XXB, XXC ...?

An Article 10 residence card is for non-EU/EEA citizens residing with their EU/EEA family member in another EU/EEA country. You won't be able to obtain this card if you are permanently settled in Sweden as a refugee.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

The code says: "SWE"

Image of the the travel document i have:

http://www.consilium.europa.eu/prado...ge-182937.html

Last edited by Chalipa; Apr 16th 2018 at 11:05 pm. Reason: correct image address
Old Apr 16th 2018, 11:11 pm

The code says: "SWE"

Image of the the travel document i have:

Council of the European Union - PRADO - SWE-JO-04001 - <Outside front cover>
Council of the European Union - PRADO - SWE-JO-04001 - <Integrated biodata card - recto (identity)>

That document lists the person's nationality as 'Somalia' and lists 'SOM' as the country code in the machine readable zone (bottom line; 59000012<5SOM7712153M[...]). What does yours say?
Old Apr 17th 2018, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That document lists the person's nationality as 'Somalia' and lists 'SOM' as the country code in the machine readable zone (bottom line; 59000012<5SOM7712153M[...]). What does yours say?

AFG

Guess i will have to apply for UK visa soon to make sure i have it by summer.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 12:24 pm

AFG

Guess i will have to apply for UK visa soon to make sure i have it by summer.
Okay, so you're a Afghani citizen, but holding a 1951 Convention Travel Document issued by Sweden. In that case you will need to apply for a UK visitor visa in advance. You should also note the following:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...avel-documents

1951 Convention Travel Documents (CTDs) are issued to refugees by states who are party to the 1951 UN Convention on the Status of Refugees. All holders of 1951 CTDs, except those issued by the UK, are required to give a record of their fingerprints on arrival in the UK. Visas endorsed on 1951 CTDs do not confer leave to enter. Instead they are valid for presentation at a UK port for six months, where the holder can seek leave to enter.

Visas endorsed on 1951 CTDs should be:

restricted to six months validity, this includes EEA Family Permits; but
multiple-entry visit visas can be valid for up to two years.
Here's more information on the standard visitor visa and where to apply online:

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa

https://visas-immigration.service.go.../uk-visit-visa

Most applications take 15 working days to process:

https://visa-processingtimes.homeoff...months-or-less