Reload this Page >

Very small business in Sweden?

Very small business in Sweden?

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Annabel12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Very small business in Sweden?

Hi, everybody!
I know what Blackie said about having a small business in Sweden (start with the big one ) but seriously - is there a chance for success?
I'm a nail technician, also I do lash extensions and I'd like to open my own little salon (now I do it part-time as a mobile). Even though I'm moving to rural area I reckon there is a room for this kind of business in small nearby town as competition is not very impressive (I do not underestimate them though).
Would the fact that I'm foreign make any difference to potential clients providing my standards are really good and my services are a bit different to competitors? Would anyone come to my place with good marketing and advertising? Would it matter if I didn't speak much Swedish at first? (I wanna start intensive course as soon as I'm there but obviously it will take few months to be able to have a proper client consultation).
Any advice very appreciated
Cheers!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Swedish_guy_UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Very small business in Sweden?

I think it depends on where you're planning to set up your business and what the size of the customer base would be. Some areas of Sweden are very rural indeed and it might be difficult finding a sufficient number of customers. I don't think the language or discrimation because you're foreign are things you should be concerned about.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Swedish_guy_UK
I think it depends on where you're planning to set up your business and what the size of the customer base would be. Some areas of Sweden are very rural indeed and it might be difficult finding a sufficient number of customers. I don't think the language or discrimation because you're foreign are things you should be concerned about.
Thank you very much for reply
Well, I googled everything and it seems there should be enough potential clients in a town that I target (bear in mind I've got only 2 hands and those treatments are time consuming so I can do max 40 clients/week). Language barrier and being foreign were the factors I was most worried about so thanks once again, I feel much relieved now (even though I know how hard I'll have to work to get on the market)
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Swedish_guy_UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Very good that my reply increased your confidence. I live in the UK now but have spent most of my life in Sweden and think I know the people and the mentality. Some customers will think speaking english at your place is an exotic benefit of going there. Also, whilst there are certainly people in Sweden who are more cautious with what they perceive as foreigners, I believe the acceptance for other cultures and looks is very high in Sweden. I have no experience myself of small businesses in Sweden I've heard friends say that there are many details around the tax system to keep track of so it might be good to attend a "starting a small business" course in Sweden.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

I was worried as I've read it's very difficult for foreigner to get a job - this made me thinking that acceptance of my person might present a problem.
When it comes to 'Starting up a business' day I've already booked one, just waiting for the e-mail that would confirm they run it in Swedish or English - need to clarify taxes thing as I'm not quite sure how to calculate it and I need those figures for my business plan...
Thanks for the advice
Old Apr 27th 2013, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Hi Annabel12
To most Swedes, a nail is something you hang up a picture of mother-in-law on the wall with. Not that there are many mothers-in-law around these days what with the divorce rate. But I hope you are not overexpecting something from the market. One thing I would advise you to do is to get an accountant (revisor). For a small one man business it might cost you about 5 000 crowns a year (which is a tax-deductable expense) and it will save you a lot of worry and precious time.
I know that if you were further south, for example in Skåne, there are plenty of Polish people who have bought houses there and you would find some customers among them. Certainly the area where you are planning to move Värmland is among the friendliest parts of Sweden.
Blackie
Old Apr 27th 2013, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Blackladder
Hi Annabel12
To most Swedes, a nail is something you hang up a picture of mother-in-law on the wall with. Not that there are many mothers-in-law around these days what with the divorce rate. But I hope you are not overexpecting something from the market. One thing I would advise you to do is to get an accountant (revisor). For a small one man business it might cost you about 5 000 crowns a year (which is a tax-deductable expense) and it will save you a lot of worry and precious time.
I know that if you were further south, for example in Skåne, there are plenty of Polish people who have bought houses there and you would find some customers among them. Certainly the area where you are planning to move Värmland is among the friendliest parts of Sweden.
Blackie
Hiya
Thanks for reply - picture of mother in law thing has met my expectations
Dear Blackie, if I wanted to have a Polish business I'd rather stayed in England, don't you think?
I thought of an account altough I'd prefer to have a total control of my finances as I'm fully capable to do it BUT if it's really time consuming I'd rather go for this service. 5000 a year?! This is a joke! Thank you for that
Old May 7th 2013, 3:28 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

5000 crowns ?? Could be a business opportunity there !!

as to the MIL - you divorce the wife but you never divorce the MIL
Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:06 am
Just Joined

skylarkpilot is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is an old thread but I moved from the UK to Swden two years ago and set up my own small business. The biggest problem is the tax system. I arranged a meeting with my local tax office and it's fair to say they were pretty helpful. You must register you business name with Bolagsverket and then with Skatteverket as you take VAT from the start. You have to keep some very basic bookkeeping and issue receipts. It is not too difficult. When I had my meeting with the tax department I got them to explain the boxes on the VAT and tax returns and took notes that helped when I came to completing the first return. The only part if the Swedish system that really makes any sense is that tax years run 1st Jan to 31st Dec and returns have to be in before the 2nd of May.