Reload this Page >

UK Citizen moving to Sweden : Right to Reside

UK Citizen moving to Sweden : Right to Reside

Old Feb 17th 2018, 12:35 am
Just Joined

moyyim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Citizen moving to Sweden : Right to Reside

Hi all

I'm a bit confused & just trying to clarify the situation for a UK Citizen moving to Sweden (who can support themself) as to how long they can stay eg.3 mths, 1 yr, indefinately?

From googling, the Swedish Embassy says:
"The term "right to reside" means that an EU/EEA citizen and his or her family members are permitted to stay in Sweden for more than three months without a residence permit.
If you can support yourself, you automatically have right of residence and do not need to contact the Swedish Migration Board"

but.. the Skatteverket says:

"As a citizen of another EU or EEA country than Sweden (ie UK) you have right of residence if you can show that you have sufficient funds, i.e. sufficient money to live on and support yourself in Sweden. You also need to have comprehensive health insurance.
As a citizen of a EU or EEA country you have the right to stay in Sweden for three months"

The Swedish migration agency(Migrationsverket) website says:
"As an EU citizen you have the right to work, study or live in Sweden without a residence permit. You also have the right to start and operate a private business. The right of EU citizens to stay in Sweden without a residence permit is called right of residence. You have right of residence if you are employed, self-employed, a student or have sufficient means to support yourself. If you have right of residence in Sweden you do not need to contact the Swedish Migration Agency"....But it doesnt say how long you can stay for?

I'm sure its simple but the more I read the more confused I get(not difficult)
!

Q.Is "right of residence" just valid for 3 mths & what do you need to do/get if want to stay longer eg 9mths/+1yr
Q. As a UK citizen how long can my son live in Sweden if he has enough means to support myself (or wanted to try & do part time work at some point.)

Thanks in advance for any guidance & clarification.

Cheers
Old Feb 17th 2018, 2:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Citizen moving to Sweden : Right to Reside

EEA freedom of movement rules are the same through member states. Any citizen from a member state can reside in another member state for up to three months without qualification. After three months you need to be demonstrating you are exercising your treaty rights in order to be able to stay, e.g. working, studying, being self-sufficient. The latter two require you have comprehensive health insurance.

If you are a British citizen and financially self-sufficient then you can stay indefinitely* providing you have comprehensive health insurance.

*This will depend on the outcome of the Brexit negotiations but the current agreement is that anyone exercising treaty rights before March 2019 will have their rights grandfathered.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

moyyim is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply....that makes sense.

I had emailed the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket) a question as below & just got the response:

Q: Hi. Is there a maximum period for a UK Citizen to live in Sweden (with/without a Visa)?. My son will be joining a football team(unpaid) & initially staying for approx 9mths, leave Sweden for 1mth then maybe return for following season. He wont be working initially (may do part time later) & will have sufficient funds for all living expenses to cover the whole period. As a UK citizen does he need any visa/resident permit for this ?..Thanks

A: If you intend to visit Sweden longer than 3 mths you will need a visitors permit. Use form "Application for visitors permit No.165011 plus appendix "Family Details No.239011". Application must be done at a Swedish Embassy in country of origin...you must bring invitation form & civic registration certificate concerning the person you intend to visit in Sweden..Your permit will be issued as a residence permit card.

Maybe I didn't word my question very well & my scenario was confusing or it translated differently but am confused if the answer above is correct for that specific scenario ?

Cheers
Old Feb 17th 2018, 10:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

There's no problem with your son doing what you propose. He doesn't need a visitor's permit as an EU/EEA citizen.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

neutralobserver is an unknown quantity at this point

It took me 4 attempts to register in Sweden as a holder of a British passport - I tried every possible method. The problem is getting comprehensive health insurance - there are no UK insurers that have no exclusion clauses (ie self-harm). If you find one please let me know out of curiosity - I tried all the most expensive ones without luck. Eventually I registered my own consulting company here and my application was described as the most comprehensive they'd ever seen - it was approved in 1 day and not the usual 6-9 months! Now I have the essential "personal number" and all is great. Good Luck!
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

neutralobserver is an unknown quantity at this point

btw if you live in the UK it would be smart to open an account with Handelsbanken in the UK as it made life so much easier when I moved to Sweden and opened an account at Handelsbanken here. Great bank in both places - very pleased.
Old May 24th 2018, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Torsas is an unknown quantity at this point

Just joined , We are uk pensioners (NOT doddering old gits !!! ) we have decided in our twilight years to move to Sweden , we only have State pensions and maybe a few bob from our house sale in Spain, we will be buying a house but it will not be near the Cities !! Near Kristianhamm looks suitable, even Asele (Lapland) is O.K. We will try and learn some of the Swedish language (Our son is giving us some lessons !!) SO, the question is, could we manage on the State pensions and we suppose health care would be dealt with between the uk and Sweden . Thanks for reading.