Reload this Page >

Personnummer, Bank Account & Rent in Sweden

Personnummer, Bank Account & Rent in Sweden

Old Jul 16th 2015, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

rseal1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Personnummer, Bank Account & Rent in Sweden

Hi All,

Hope someone who has just moved over could help me with this; Im getting stressed about setting up a Bank Account, getting a Personnumer and renting a flat and the order they can be done.

I cant seem to get a Personnumer without a permanent address (I cant use my office address it has to be where I sleep), I dont think I can rent a flat without a personnumer, and I doubt I can set up a bank account without a personumer...!

Its a bit chicken and egg, does anyone have any advice, or has anyone done a similar thing recently?

I am moving to Stockholm if that makes any difference
Thanks guys!
Old Jul 17th 2015, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Pythagoras will become famous soon enoughPythagoras will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Personnummer, Bank Account & Rent in Sweden

When I arrived here some years ago, getting a personnummer depended on things like a job offer/working here, or living with a Swedish national (as a Sambo). More info here.

If you're living and working in Sweden and register with their tax office (Skatteverket) to pay Swedish tax, then they should issue you with a p/nummer - which can then be used to open a bank account. Logic (particularly the Swedish kind) suggests that they expect you to have a 'permanent address' here.

If you’ve got a Swedish employer I can only suggest going to them to see if they can either arrange accommodation for you – or get their advice about a hotel or serviced apartment to stay in, while you look for more permanent accommodation.

Very difficult finding rental accommodation in Stockholm. Best of luck!
Old Jul 18th 2015, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Ahh thanks Pythagoras! Getting a Personnummer shouldnt be a problem once I have an address, I have an employment contract and proof of employment etc. My office have offered to help look for accomodation, but wont sign the contract, so it needs to be a landlord that rents to individuals.

I would prefer to find somewhere myself so I know its being sorted- I have decided teh best way to sort it is to throw money at it... I have found an agency that you pay a fee once they have found you somewhere, so at least there is an incentive for them to find a place.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Pythagoras will become famous soon enoughPythagoras will become famous soon enough

As far as banks are concerned, Handelsbanken seem to be the pick of the Swedish banks.

Swedbank's customer service has declined over the years I've been here. For example, last time it was my 'turn' to be served in my local branch, one of the tellers began fiddling with an ipod, while the other one was engaged in a mobile phone call about the weekend's barbecue! There were a number of other customers waiting at the time.

On top of that, they charge for personal internet access to your account, which, lets face it, these days, you must have to operate the account.

I believe Handelsbanken don't charge for this, although you still pay a fee for Maestro/Mastercards, which is common here.

Just a thought.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Thats good to hear... Im in the process of setting up a Handelsbanken account- they have a branch in my home city in the UK so I have started the process of setting up an account.. do far I havnt needed to provide a personnummer yet.. though that may change!

Out of interest, have you heard of myplejs.se ? They are the company I have found that find you a place to rent. I think I may have better luck with them than Residens Portalen or Bostad Direkt!
Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Last time I heard of myplejs.se was 3 years ago when my partner's daughter was looking for a flat.

I was a tad sceptical that the site seemed a little shy about who you would be dealing with - but my partner's daughter found somewhere else without using them.

There is also another site called blocket.se which sometimes advertises accommodation and property.