Sweden to Norway??

Old Sep 11th 2013, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Mike1001 is on a distinguished road
Default Sweden to Norway??

I have been in Sweden for 7 months. Its a nice country with many positives however my skill base is much more suited to Norway and my wife has been offered a position there.
Does anyone have experience of the advantages of Norway v Sweden or otherwise.
I have had good experiences overall but of course have met with all the usual nonsense associated with being an expat and I wondered if Norway is a better overall destination than Sweden is. I will also say the weather here this year has been great and much better than I expected.

Cheers

Mike
Old Sep 12th 2013, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Ugo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sweden to Norway??

Hi,
I'm no expert of either of the two countries, but I was told salaries are much higher in Norway than they are in Sweden. Apparently it is not uncommon for Norwegians to cross the border for shopping, and for Swedes to go working in Norway with the aim of a better wage.

Weather should be more humid and rainy though...

oh, btw, as a future expat can I ask what do you mean with "nonsense of being an expat"?
Old Sep 12th 2013, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply and thoughts. I have lived in 4/5 countries in the past ten years. They have many differences but many similarities when it comes to everyday life. For example getting your cell phone contract and Internet/ tv package sorted. Medical registration migration service and as here in Sweden all the fprm filling and visits required for personummer ID card etc. Getting a repair on your car if only minor can be a challenge. Remember when you have no family friends or support system you are basically on yer tod to find out and sort out everything. Then getting used to new workmates or your wifes new workmates or the culture can be a challenge. For example here in Sweden the cyclists are holy cows. They ride at min 30km/h ring their bell 2m from you and scare you wittless as they buzz pass your shoulder from behind. I could say more. I would say though as a native Brit/Scot I dont get any predudice issues and people are very polite and friendly. My issue is getting regular work and although my wife is doing great I am having some serious and difficult problems getting a toe hold here. I am not a very patient person and am resorting to rotating in and out of the country on work assignments which is not ideal.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Ugo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond repute

arh, I know how it feels to be alone.
I remember when I moved here in Glasgow from Italy that it took me a while to get all the bank account/cell phone/direct debit/council tax sorted.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

I have not done the UK as an expat but I think it is more straightforward organising your personal business in the UK than in many other countries. You have an idea but my guess is that you multiply the hassle factor as compared to the UK by a factor of 4 if you move to Sverige. Also I am not alone and have not been in any of my travels so I have had the added problems of family registrations permissions visas travel etc. All part of the fun of being an expat!
Old Sep 12th 2013, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mike1001
IYou have an idea but my guess is that you multiply the hassle factor as compared to the UK by a factor of 4
that's no good news
Old Sep 15th 2013, 10:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Longer term, you can become a Swedish citizen and keep your British citizenship. However, as far as I am aware, you would have to renounce your British citizenship in order to become a Norwegian citizen. Confirm this on the websites of the relevant authorities.

Laws in both countries can of course, change but that's the situation for now.

May or may not be a concern, although if it's where you plan to make your home , it probably should be a consideration.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Norway is my best option regarding getting a decent position. The citizenship regs I was aware of but thanks. It is something I may have to consider in the future. I am not in a hurry to give up my British citizenship any time soon but if I had the option or had to choose between Swedish or Norwegian for me it would be Norwegian in spite of losing UK citizenship.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

MrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to behold

Hey Mike1001,

I'm a bit late at writing but I thought I'd better let you know that you will have to let the Swedish govt know you are moving to Norway, if you decide to do that. I didn't and had a lot of slightly peevish paperwork from the Swedish govt. Anyway, sure you knew that already but thought I'd be irritatingly helpful!
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Oh be irritating! Haha.

I kind of get it that they need to know things. But do they have to be so Orwellian about it. Sweden really is a great place but theres just a bit too much of the egalitarian nonsense for me. I always preferred the Liberty concept in the triage, you can guess fraternity does not fill me with joy either. As such Norway is a much better option and we are now seriously considering locations..as my Swedish is hopeless I can now start my Norwegian and see if I can be just as poor in that language. Surely not!

Thanks for the heads up
Old Jul 14th 2014, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Hej Mrs Egeland do you know anyone who lives in or near Hol Kommune and do you have any opinions of the best place to bring up young kids? Where the weather is not too bad. Looking for a decent sized town with plenty of activities for kids and also music lessons, drama etc. It sounds easy but its not so easy when you are a little out of the way. Any thoughts or advice very welcome.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

bamse123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes the wage is alot more in norway but the food/cigarettes etc is like 40% more expensive.. packet of cigarettes was £8 when i was there about 4 years ago and they were £4 in sweden. A big mac in sweden £5 and in norway £10. Like someone said previous to me, people in norway near the swedish border go over there for shopping etc cause of the price differences. If money is no issue then i suppose thats not a problem. I dont know much about anything else in norway as ive only been over the border there once, lobely country though but as a swede, i prefer sweden ofcourse.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Inte roker bamse! Its bad for your health lol. I know Norway is V expensive. Sweden and Norway like it or not when viewed by a non-Scandinavian appear very similar. My business is very firmly on the Norwegian side and min Fru can arbeter in either country. In fact she can make mycket pengar! We are not money orientated but its nice to know we can survive! And work is about more than money.
I also think the Norwegians are a little more used to the British due to the knowledge transfer and cooperation in the oil industry. As we know it takes a while to get used to the British.
All in all it looks like it may well be Norway even although Dalarna Vesterbottens and Norbottens are good places.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 10:04 am
Just Joined

bamse123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah i can understand that people think its similar, they are neighbour countries after all with alot in common. Well if thats what you want, go for it!
Old Mar 12th 2015, 9:49 am
Just Joined

EdwardWII is an unknown quantity at this point

In Norway you make more money, but everything cost more also.

In Sweden fruits and foods are much cheaper and much more fresh, because they are in EU.

In Sweden, public transportation is better.