British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Scandinavia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/scandinavia-174/)
-   -   Sweden? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/scandinavia-174/sweden-575693/)

thedol Nov 28th 2008 2:08 pm

Sweden?

Anyone with experience in Sweden here?

TakeItEasy Nov 28th 2008 7:01 pm

Re: Sweden?

I once met Ulrika Johnson:D

Mitzyboy Nov 28th 2008 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by thedol (Post 7018569)

I know its bloody expensive. I went there for a day once on a weekend cruise to Gothenburg and I couldn't believe the cost of things!

willmore Nov 28th 2008 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by thedol (Post 7018569)

Spend two weeks in scandinavia last may and about four days in sweden. Beautiful country, lovely people, perfect english - and very very expensive......but really worth visiting......

thedol Nov 29th 2008 8:04 am

I've heard the web/IT area is strong there and am looking online for Web Design openings...

Celtic Princess Nov 29th 2008 8:56 am

I'm in Sweden, have been for a year and a half now. What do you want to know?

By the way, it isn't expensive like people think. Tourist stuff is. Ordinary stuff is about the same or a little bit more, housing is cheap. Overall cost of living balancing it all out is about the same. (Except you have a bigger home for your money)

thedol Nov 29th 2008 9:14 am

Hey Celtic, where are you from originally?

I'm from London and am a Senior Designer here with a pretty big firm in Leicester Sq. I do Websites and Graphic design for pretty big clients like Disney, Coke to name a couple.

I'm looking for a new start and was trying to find job sites in Sweden for Web Design positions - know any famous job sites over there?

Or any tips looking for a job?

Mitzyboy Nov 29th 2008 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Celtic Princess (Post 7020347)

By the way, it isn't expensive like people think. Tourist stuff is. Ordinary stuff is about the same or a little bit more, housing is cheap. Overall cost of living balancing it all out is about the same. (Except you have a bigger home for your money)

Whats the basic tax rate?

Celtic Princess Nov 29th 2008 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 7020586)
Whats the basic tax rate?

No idea, but I believe it is a lot higher than the UK. Also salaries are slightly less. When we came here hubby was moving up a step but his salary effectively remained the same. At the end of the month we have the same amount left as we did in the UK, ie nothing. But we have bought a lovely house here, with a big garden whereas in the UK we couldn't afford to buy.

Celtic Princess Nov 29th 2008 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by thedol (Post 7020363)
Hey Celtic, where are you from originally?

I'm from London and am a Senior Designer here with a pretty big firm in Leicester Sq. I do Websites and Graphic design for pretty big clients like Disney, Coke to name a couple.

I'm looking for a new start and was trying to find job sites in Sweden for Web Design positions - know any famous job sites over there?

Or any tips looking for a job?

The Swedish job centre website is:

http://www.arbetsformedlingen.se/go.aspx?C=223

The EU job centre website is:

http://ec.europa.eu/eures/home.jsp?lang=en

And the place where many expats hang out, share info and make job contacts is this website:

http://www.thelocal.se/

There is loads of info about your field in the discuss forum, I've seen it come up several times.

Drosera Dec 5th 2008 6:29 pm

I am from UK and have lived in Stockholm, Sweden or more than 10 years and have travelled around the whole country - what it your question? Celtic Princess has answered the basics. Is there anything more?

thedol Dec 6th 2008 7:49 am

Well those jobs sites didn't really help to be honest.

You know like how we have Monster.com or Reed.co.uk - job sites basically, I want to find some sites I can go to look at jobs in Sweden for the Web/Graphic design industry.

So sitting here in London, I can apply and send applications and see what kind of response I get.

Celtic Princess Dec 6th 2008 7:50 pm

I suggest you have a look on the local then. The people there will know. I haven't tried to find work here yet as I'm still learning the language so don't know about where to look, sorry. My husbands employer came to the UK to find him.

Maz1 Jan 16th 2009 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Celtic Princess (Post 7020347)

MY OH HAS BEEN OFFERED A JOB IN SWEDEN BUT THE FAMILY WILL BE IN THE UK. IS THIS VEASABLE. THE EMPLOYER IS OFFERING 6 DAYS ON & 6 OFF, ACCOMODATION AND FLIGHTS TO AND FRO FROM UK . INCLUDING PAID TRAVELLING TIME. WHAT IS CLASSED AS AN AVERAGE WAGE?

Mitzyboy Jan 16th 2009 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Maz1 (Post 7175511)
MY OH HAS BEEN OFFERED A JOB IN SWEDEN BUT THE FAMILY WILL BE IN THE UK. IS THIS VEASABLE. THE EMPLOYER IS OFFERING 6 DAYS ON & 6 OFF, ACCOMODATION AND FLIGHTS TO AND FRO FROM UK . INCLUDING PAID TRAVELLING TIME. WHAT IS CLASSED AS AN AVERAGE WAGE?

Please turn off your caps locks when posting

I assume it must be feasible because I know of people here in Spain that commute on a similar basis.

As long as the salary is what you want it sounds like a very good deal!