Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

Resident in Sweden, freelancing in the UK - tax?

Resident in Sweden, freelancing in the UK - tax?

Old Oct 4th 2009, 11:21 am
Just Joined

elzorro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Resident in Sweden, freelancing in the UK - tax?

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on my tax situation. For the past 3 or 4 years I have been a freelance developer in the UK, and managing my own accounts/tax has thus far been fairly straightforward.

This year I moved to Sweden permanently ( I've got me one of those swedish wives + child ;-) ), and I am now at a complete loss as to how to handle my tax.

The swedish tax system doesn't seem to treat the freelancer particularly well ( infact I'm not sure they exists per-se, you become a sole-trader: your own employer and employee and paying tax for both).

My main question is, is it possible to continue to pay tax in the UK even though I'm a resident of another European country (somehow I doubt it).

Although I'm beginning to absorb the language fairly well, being able to speak/read it is a lot different from being able to decipher financial text/jargon, so I'm finding information sources limited (especially surrounding my specific circumstances).

What I think I really need is either a swedish account well versed in UK tax law or an English one vice versa.

If anyone has experience in this matter, I'd greatly appreciate any pointers of recommendations.

Cheers, Joe
Old Oct 4th 2009, 12:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resident in Sweden, freelancing in the UK - tax?

Originally Posted by elzorro
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on my tax situation. For the past 3 or 4 years I have been a freelance developer in the UK, and managing my own accounts/tax has thus far been fairly straightforward.

This year I moved to Sweden permanently ( I've got me one of those swedish wives + child ;-) ), and I am now at a complete loss as to how to handle my tax.

The swedish tax system doesn't seem to treat the freelancer particularly well ( infact I'm not sure they exists per-se, you become a sole-trader: your own employer and employee and paying tax for both).

My main question is, is it possible to continue to pay tax in the UK even though I'm a resident of another European country (somehow I doubt it).

Although I'm beginning to absorb the language fairly well, being able to speak/read it is a lot different from being able to decipher financial text/jargon, so I'm finding information sources limited (especially surrounding my specific circumstances).

What I think I really need is either a swedish account well versed in UK tax law or an English one vice versa.

If anyone has experience in this matter, I'd greatly appreciate any pointers of recommendations.

Cheers, Joe
Tax is paid where you are resident regardless of where you do your work.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light

I know someone who works for this company:

http://www.pkf.co.uk/

They are tax accountants who deal with people based in the UK and Sweden.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:13 am
Just Joined

jackdunstan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Joe,

Please let us (me) how you get on as I'm in the same situation and would like to locate an accountant who has experience in such situations.

I too agree with fellow poster that it sounds like you are a resident for tax purposes in Sweden and therefore liable to Swedish tax. But the question is what legitimate tax mechanisms are available to self employed Swedish residents with for example non domiciled status etc.

Cheers Jack