Umeå and Luleå

Old May 4th 2014, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Mike1001 is on a distinguished road
Default Umeå and Luleå

Does anyone have any info or experience of life in Umeå? I am considering moving to the north and would be very interested to see/hear what others may have experienced there. I am also checking out Luleå, so same again on that one. I have checked the usual info sources but ideally its first hand experiences I would like to hear about. Cheers. Mike

Last edited by Mike1001; May 4th 2014 at 10:16 am. Reason: Poor English grammar.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Umeå and Luleå

Ok I spent a weekend in Luleå. My advice is avoid in the summer months. People are decent sorts but it really is the wilderness. What did I expect, really. There is an old village which is very worth a visit but not worth the €1000 plus it cost to fly there and have a few nights accommodation. Glad I went because now I know I dont want to move there!
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

bamse123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am Swedish and Umeå is where i was born and raised. Its a good city and it is currently europes capital of culture. Got a good nightlife (nothing compares to what the uk has to offer) it has got about 6 pubs in the towncentre, a few clubs and restaurants. Theres the biggest hospital there in the north of Sweden, massive university where you can learn Swedish for free if that is something you wish to do. Have you got any questions about the place, feel free to ask. I am currently looking to relocate back with my fiancé and daughter.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 12:51 am
Just Joined

Brauz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi mate, did you get to stay in Sweden then? If so, please I need some advice about buying a house, I was looking at Umeå too, now after reading your post, not sure, ta
Old Jul 13th 2014, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Cheap houses around Umeå, if youre looking for towncentre or in good areas they are the same as uk prices. Good wooden houses though (there is stone ones aswell lol)
Old Jul 14th 2014, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the feedback bamse. Umeå looks like a much better bet than Luleå but there are more issues for me. Particularly employment. If I was to stay in Sweden Umeå would be seriously considered long term. As you say a lot of good reasons to stay there.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Hi guys, please share more information on Umeå, is it easy to get to it? Trains, Airport... I'm thinking of buying a house, so I need plenty of info
Old Jul 14th 2014, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Umeå has got an airport with very frequent flights to stockholm etc. It does direct flights to London, dont know how eften but they cost a bomb, around £700. Silly money, i normally fly down to stockholm arlanda airport for £40 then a flight to london, manchester etc from there. Normally costs £150-200 return inc the flight from umeå to stockholm. It has also got a coachstation and a trainstation. Coach down to stockholm for example normally take around 8 hours, train should take about 6 hours. It's tricky for me to tell you loads of info just from the top of my head, have you got any questions? Jobs are hard to get anywhere these days unless you find a neische in the market. Dont think it will be easy at all to get a job in Sweden if you don't speak Swedish. I'm moving over soon with my british fiance and i'm hoping to get a job for him at a drycleaners (where you dont really have to know much swedish to accomplish the tasks).
Old Jul 14th 2014, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks bamse, I know that I need to get a lot of information and it is very tricky, as there are so many questions...
For sure it is difficult to get a job nowadays, but we need to try, I'm a motor mechanic/technician, so hopefully someone needs a mechanic lol.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks bamse, I know that I need to get a lot of information and it is very tricky, as there are so many questions...
For sure it is difficult to get a job nowadays, but we need to try, I'm a motor mechanic/technician, so hopefully someone needs a mechanic lol.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 9:12 am
Just Joined

We've got a massive volvo factory there but as everywhere else, they are laying people off. There is few car shops like audi volkswagen etc which has a garage aswell, ive had an internship there, it was great. They also do scania trucks there if you have any experience with that.