British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Scandinavia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/scandinavia-174/)
-   -   Moving to Sweden possiibly? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/scandinavia-174/moving-sweden-possiibly-895367/)

jimbob66 Apr 13th 2017 9:21 am

Moving to Sweden possiibly?

We have been using Skatterverket to try to get information re moving to Sweden but they say we need to have set up in a rental before applying for residency. Obviously we aren't going to move unless we know the rules about income requirements for residency.
At the moment my wife and I ( she is non-EU) are living in Spain. We want to move to a colder climate! UK is out because of the immigration rules. Our question is simple, what level of income is needed to satisfy the self-sufficiency rules for Sweden for a couple like us? We will move in September when I am 65 and have the S1 health cover.
Is there another agency that I should contact?

A separate query if I may. We have looked at places like Lerum, about 30 minutes from Gothenborg and found rents of around 9000 SEK. That would fit our budget and the properties come furnished and sometimes the rent includes utilities. It looks a bit too good to be true! Are there any recommended rental sites that people with local knowledge of Gothenborg have? Thanks

dmu Apr 16th 2017 10:29 am

Re: Moving to Sweden possiibly?

Originally Posted by jimbob66 (Post 12228321)
We have been using Skatterverket to try to get information re moving to Sweden but they say we need to have set up in a rental before applying for residency. Obviously we aren't going to move unless we know the rules about income requirements for residency.
At the moment my wife and I ( she is non-EU) are living in Spain. We want to move to a colder climate! UK is out because of the immigration rules. Our question is simple, what level of income is needed to satisfy the self-sufficiency rules for Sweden for a couple like us? We will move in September when I am 65 and have the S1 health cover.
Is there another agency that I should contact?

Thanks

Hi, isn't there a Swedish equivalent to the French "Service-Public" sites which give official information, rather than the Tax Office? For example the pertinent French site states 805,17 € per month as financial requirement for a couple without children, which, if I remember rightly from your other threads, would be largely covered by your UK State Pension when it kicks in, if you decided on France (not recommended!). No idea whether Sweden is more strict, bearing in mind the apparently higher cost of living...
If no one on the Scandinavian forum can help, you could enquire at the Swedish Consulate in Spain. They could also give you info on any other Visa requirements for your wife.
Good luck in your quest!:)

morpeth Apr 16th 2017 10:52 am

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12230119)
Hi, isn't there a Swedish equivalent to the French "Service-Public" sites which give official information, rather than the Tax Office? For example the pertinent French site states 805,17 € per month as financial requirement for a couple without children, which, if I remember rightly from your other threads, would be largely covered by your UK State Pension when it kicks in, if you decided on France (not recommended!). No idea whether Sweden is more strict, bearing in mind the apparently higher cost of living...
If no one on the Scandinavian forum can help, you could enquire at the Swedish Consulate in Spain. They could also give you info on any other Visa requirements for your wife.
Good luck in your quest!:)

So 805 Euro is considered acceptable for French purposes ? What about for non-EU spouse health coverage ? (Sorry I know a Sweden thread, just caught my eye.

dmu Apr 16th 2017 11:40 am

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12230131)
So 805 Euro is considered acceptable for French purposes ? What about for non-EU spouse health coverage ? (Sorry I know a Sweden thread, just caught my eye.

According to the Service-Public site, for a couple wishing to become residents in France.
I didn't go into the question of healthcare coverage for the OP's wife, anywhere, but for French Residency, the EU applicant must have private healthcare insurance since arrival in France, must be a UK State Pensioner, or must contribute to the System by working. Not competent to advise on non-EU spouses....
And me, too, the thread caught my eye as the OP had already posted elsewhere....

jimbob66 Apr 16th 2017 1:32 pm

Thanks for the info DMU.

We were directed to the tax office via Google search initially and then that office gave us another link within their own section which then told us to submit docs elsewhere and a decision would be made. It didn't make sense, hence my post.
Anyway, onwards and upwards, we will press on.

jimbob66 Apr 20th 2017 9:01 am

Dear Kevin,

Thank you for your e-mail.

An EU/EEA citizen who is an employee, self- employed person, provider of a service, student or who has sufficient funds to support himself or herself has a right to reside in Sweden. The term right to reside means that an EU/EEA citizen and his or her family members are permitted to stay in Sweden without a residence permit. An EU/EEA needs to register their right of residence at the Swedish Tax Agency.

We can not say exactly what your income needs to be in order to move to and live in Sweden since it is the Swedish Tax Agency that tries your eligibility for right of residence. Please contact them for further questions regarding the income required.
Best Regards

Robin Magnusson
This was the reply from the Migration people, going around in circles...I'll give the Swedish embassy a go but I doubt that they deal with that sort of specific stuff.