Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sweden, desperate for advice!

Moving to Sweden, desperate for advice!

Old Feb 6th 2016, 7:12 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Sweden, desperate for advice!

When local and strategic health authorities were closed down, to re-enforce the client contractor split in the nhs, 99% of staff went to work for contractors, trusts running hospitals typically. The govt decided gp's should commission services but theyvare essentially amateurs so need professional buying support and people to prove how effectively money is spent, ie pencil pushers, moreclike very complex excel pushers. The average london borough runs at 250-350 million in commissioning a year, and about 50 people look after that. They hold the purse strings and together make big decisions on drug buying, strategies etc. i once spent almost a year negotiating in a committee for heart stents, sounds silly but we made the correct clinical decision to buy good ones [less money wasted on reoperating and more life for users] and saved a ton of money with the supplier. Buying things like 5 million doses of an innoculation can drop prices, a uk doc pays 10% of what an american pays for pneumovax vaccine [prevents pneumonia.]
Old Feb 6th 2016, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laurie smart
Thankyou! I'm surprised I've not heard of them yet...I feel like I've searched even in the most unlikely places for a solution to this. I'll look into it!
No surprise; CCG's are community based UK organisations that arrange/fund community Healthcare in the UK. Unfortunately, they won't be able to help you in Sweden.
Old Feb 6th 2016, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laurie smart
Yea the EHIC is great. Im pregnant and it covers all of my antenatal care but unfortunately not the birth. I'm looking at £5000 to give birth here.

It turns out I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I don't qualify for an S1 form from the Uk but I don't earn enough in my Swedish job to be covered by the health system here. I've involved a lawyer now to help find a solution.
The EHIC is for short term travel and not for people residing in other EU countries. It specifically does not cover giving birth.

Apply for a free EHIC card - Healthcare abroad - NHS Choices

The S1 form is now primarily for pensioners and cross border workers.

Why can't you get health cover via your partner? I don't understand, since the health system in Sweden is paid for largely by tax payers, why, if you are working you say you are not covered by the health system.

Even when covered, Swedes have to pay some costs towards their health treatment (doctors visits etc).
Old Feb 14th 2016, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

Violetta is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,
I have exactly the same problem. I moved to Sweden 6 months ago (I live with my Swedish partner)and I can't get permission to stay, they keep asking about S1 form. You can find S1 form on internet but it doesn't seem to be the right thing. My situation is a little bit different. Originally I'm from Poland but I moved to England when I was 14. At first they asked me to bring Polish documents but I can't because I'm not insured in Poland anymore. I'm only 23 and I have a really hard time to deal with all these stuffs. I don't even know who should I ask for help anymore...
Old Feb 15th 2016, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Annabel12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd suggest to get some tan and say you're from Syria in a bad English - this will sort all your problems out immediately ;D
On a serious note - this is getting sick. I moved about 3 yrs ago, nobody asked me of S1 and I got to dentist no probs with temporary personnummer (it wasn't emergency as well). But lately I waited 7 weeks for an appt with GP so it doesn't surprise me that they block access to healthcare...
Old Feb 15th 2016, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Try these people
SOLVIT - welcome screen - European Commission
Old Feb 21st 2016, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

I just read in Sydsvenska Dagbladet that 64 per cent of immigrants were still without employment after TEN YEARS in the country. Strewth, why bother going there?Blackie
Old Feb 21st 2016, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Arriving with few skills and inability to acquire Swedish ! What do you expect ?