Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

Moving abroad with an Autistic child

Moving abroad with an Autistic child

Old Oct 17th 2018, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

MoominMamma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving abroad with an Autistic child

My partner has been offered a job in Norway and we currently live in the UK. We'd love to go but our eldest son is 8 and has Autism.

Has anyone moved abroad with a child with special needs? To a country where English was not the first language? My family seem to think this is going to Ruin his life and it feels like we have no choice but to turn the offer down. We are an English family but my partner speaks Norwegian and I speak Danish.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 5:44 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving abroad with an Autistic child

Hi MoominMamma,

I would also post this question on www.reddit.com/r/parenting and www.reddit.com/r/autism and www.reddit.com/r /norway.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by Octang Frye; Oct 17th 2018 at 5:50 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 7:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Not about Norway, but it may be an indication and Norway does get a mention

https://britishexpats.com/forum/scan...nhagen-594650/

And you could post the question again on that sub forum.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 9:42 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks BristolUK.

I think I will pop this over to the Scandinavian area as The Lounge is more general.
Old Oct 21st 2018, 5:21 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MoominMamma View Post
My partner has been offered a job in Norway and we currently live in the UK. We'd love to go but our eldest son is 8 and has Autism.

Has anyone moved abroad with a child with special needs? To a country where English was not the first language? My family seem to think this is going to Ruin his life and it feels like we have no choice but to turn the offer down. We are an English family but my partner speaks Norwegian and I speak Danish.

At that age personally I think he will adapt to a degree it's hard to tell without knowing what level of Autism he has.

My/our experience of moving abroad brought vast amounts of negativity from the in-laws, it tends to be a theme that crops up from time to time "why are you doing this" "it will ruin your life" "the grandchildren will never cope with a foreign language" old minds are set in old ways.....

Do your homework your partner could explain the situation to the employer get and speak to the support services in Norway. No problem is insurmountable but how you adapt interrupt and overcome the challenge makes all the difference.

Are your family actively educated in Autism needs and moreover the Norwegian health system are you dependant on the family for your sons day to day care.?