Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

Looking at possible move to Norway....or Iceland.....

Looking at possible move to Norway....or Iceland.....

Old May 18th 2017, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking at possible move to Norway....or Iceland.....

Originally Posted by morpeth
I like to have nice surroundings, and clean air a plus ! But I also agree a lace with childhood memories and that one feels an emotional attachment to can make up for all that. I experience that in the town in Northumberland my family was from- horrible place ( the town not the county) these days, but I hear the dialect and great to be home.
Clean air is seriously underrated and not that easy to find these days, especially for people who have to work but luckily there are still some places left.
Old May 20th 2017, 7:58 am
Just Joined

BigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond repute

I think like anything new be it moving to a new country, a new area in the same country, a new job or anything which is not say a physical product you can try before you buy as such its all about your own thoughts and outlook. The UK is a great place in so many ways and I have lived here all my life, but now it just feels time for a change, for something new, not just moving to another area or a new job(done both plenty of times) but a new direction and outlook and lifestyle in its totality, like a new start with no history or hangups, the almost born again feeling(without the religious overtones) it could work or it could go wrong, but life for us is not to ask "what if" and regret things, its to live and experience.

So we will probably look to visit in the summer and then again in the winter and take it from that point.
Old May 20th 2017, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigMak
I think like anything new be it moving to a new country, a new area in the same country, a new job or anything which is not say a physical product you can try before you buy as such its all about your own thoughts and outlook. The UK is a great place in so many ways and I have lived here all my life, but now it just feels time for a change, for something new, not just moving to another area or a new job(done both plenty of times) but a new direction and outlook and lifestyle in its totality, like a new start with no history or hangups, the almost born again feeling(without the religious overtones) it could work or it could go wrong, but life for us is not to ask "what if" and regret things, its to live and experience.

So we will probably look to visit in the summer and then again in the winter and take it from that point.
I understand the sentiment but surely some thought needs to be applied to the process? If not why not move to Nigeria or India instead of Norway for example ? To me one of the advantages of the BE forums is they are full of people who have made the move abroad, or to a particular location. Even if decision already made, obvious to make something work best to gather information.

Anyway good luck and I look forward to hearing how your trip went.
Old May 24th 2017, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Ireland i know is expensive, has the language barrier and is tiny population which brings its own issue. Norway though is far bigger and more developed so leaning more toward Norway pr possible Ireland....just need to take a trip out to Norway to check it out.
Mak: If you're talking about the Republic, then the population is about the same as Norway's - and if you mean the island as a whole, it's larger than Norway's. As for a language barrier... Well, actually, no!
Old May 24th 2017, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

BigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I meant Iceland! I know Ireland is not tiny nor obviously any language barrier....other than the fantastic Irish accents!

Having though through the last couple of weeks now looks like Norway is much more viable on many levels to Iceland and that is what we are progressing, all be it at a very slow pace initially.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Mike1001 is on a distinguished road

Hi BigMak,
I have lived in Sweden Norway UK and back to Sweden in the past 4 years!Sweden without doubt is the best place I have been, although from some of my posts you may wonder!
My very strong advice is avoid Norway like the plague. I am happy to discuss privately if you wish, if not, then thats ok too.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike1001
My very strong advice is avoid Norway like the plague. I am happy to discuss privately if you wish, if not, then thats ok too.
I'd be interested to know your reasons why, Mike, if you don't mind. I have two teenage Norwegian grandchildren, whose future may or may not be spent in their home country. I need to know all the arguments for and against! I've spent some weeks there, now and then, but not longer. My son (the girls' father) returned to the Caribbean a year ago, after 13 years in Oslo, and he liked both the city and the other places he visited - in general.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you are independently wealthy or married to a local, I cannot see how a move is practical.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

So only rich people should move? That would make the world a very sad place.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 10:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You could move. The question is whether you should.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 6:34 am
Just Joined

I think thats the question pretty much in life in general, you could do anything, whether you should is a different matter.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 8:24 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I think thats the question pretty much in life in general, you could do anything, whether you should is a different matter.
Quite.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any marketable skills ? What can you do than an Icelander cannot ? You may have won what Cecil Rhodes described as "the lottery of life" holding the passport that you have but what can you actually DO ? Maybe you have to settle for what you have.

Sorry if that is not what you want to hear.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 3:14 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

No, they were talking about Norway which, along with the other Scandinavian countries does seem to have a cost of living much higher than in most European countries, which means that you will have to budget for that before moving so you have enough to last you till you start earning.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 7:15 am
Just Joined

I wouldn't move until I had a job offer under my belt, with a family anything else would be crazy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.