Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

Looking at possible move to Norway....or Iceland.....

Looking at possible move to Norway....or Iceland.....

Old Jul 16th 2017, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Mike1001 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking at possible move to Norway....or Iceland.....

I will only discuss privately as I said. But anyone seriously wishing to move to for example Sweden or Denmark, which are by far in my experience miles ahead of Norway. A)Needs a job, B)needs access to a network, ideally through family ties, C) needs the language to at least A2 level initially and probably has to have, shall we say a very calm and easy going outlook. Location is also very important. We tried to settle in one part of Sweden and it was very demanding, we moved to the south and we are very happy with the move.
So my negativity lifted as the personal networks, general happiness levels etc improved, this also is due to a very big rise in financial rewards
You can live in Sweden on a tight budget, we did, but its probably better to be less well off at home, than less well off abroad.
Ideally I would prefer better weather etc, but for now, in my very humble experience Sweden isby far the best of the Scandinavian countries I have tried, i would say though thatI would have tried Denmark if I had the chance, the caveat is the language is very difficultcompared to Swedish, which is also hard enough!
By all means have an adventure, but adventures areby their very nature demanding, hard work, and require endurance. Its not all high mountain vistas and moments of enlightenment. Not by a long shot. Good luck.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 9:15 am
Just Joined

BigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with A & C...although B is good plenty of people around the world can move without this as long as your own unit is strong and you can then build, otherwise again no one would leave the road they were born in(like yester year!)

Why would you say Sweden and Denmark are miles ahead, in what way? Just personal opinion(valid of course) or based on some genuine facts?(Norway being more expensive is understood, but salaries while not like for like are higher) So interested why you are so convinced on Sweden?
Old Jul 16th 2017, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hi BigMak,
I hope you are doing good today.
Ok not wishing to beat the issue to death re networks. A job gives you instant access to networks and family usually helps with a job. If you have a job, you have a network. Now many possibly all things are possible, however without a support network the chances of success are limited and in some cases bound to fail.
My opinions are formed through experience. I try to be objective and rational. I may not always be, but its not for the want of trying. After all opinions based upon no or poor research are prejudiced, or so Voltaire reckons, so I try to avoid opinions without first hand experience and basing on two or more sources.
Norway has poor infrastructure outside the main towns and cities. Try going further north than Stavanger or Bergen and see how you enjoy the road network. Norway is colder than Sweden, wetter than Sweden and has more rocks than Sweden. Try building a basement without blasting. A digger wont cut it.
Swedes are generally friendlier and more helpful ( this is based on my personal interactions) someone else may say the opposite I guess, however my wife agrees.
Sweden is a far more generous country re child allowances, free schooling and meals at school. Did you know for example, Norway does not provide a hot meal for school or nursery kids? Remember Norway gets very cold in winter. Speaking of winter, the Swedes are experts at clearing and gritting, the Norwegians less so. In Sweden they clear the snow, in Norway they tend not to. In fact often in Norway if the plough got down my road, I then had to clear a metre high wall of ice from the driveway before I could even get on the road. That just does not happen in Sweden ( not in my experience anyway)
Swedish schooling is diverse, anything from International English to Montissori to Waldorf and all free! If you want your child to have different from the bog standard state, its there. Not so in Norway. They have some diversity, but expensive and private only.
Sweden and Denmark have excellent organic food ( Denmark particularly), but compared to Norway which has its food supply and distribution controlled by one or two families, the range and freshness of the food is outstanding. In fact the food is outstanding compared to UK in this regard.
Sweden in my experience is much more respectful of basic human rights than Norway. Check out Barnavernet. There is a great BBC utube documentary I advise you to look at. That alone is a good reason to avoid Norway.
I could go on , but I am even boring myself now.
I have to say I like the Swedes, generally, I love Southern Sweden, generally, and my wife and kids particularly have been welcomes with open arms.
I am generally impressed with "how good" and decent most Swedes I have met are. I cant say that about anywhere else I have lived including the country of my birth!
Denmark is great for alternative health care. I wont go into that as its too political. But for me its a great thing.
Ok Im definitely finished now
Cheers
Old Jul 17th 2017, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_No...lfare_Services

"Conform - or we will take your children away."
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 7:57 am
Just Joined

BigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond reputeBigMak has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mike1001, sorry was not ignoring you but hectic week and weekend.
I really appreciate your insight and will take it all on board. I know that cost is certainly a factor for Norway and many Norwegians nip over to Sweden to do various shopping.
Everything else you state I will look in to, obviously Norway always comes up(with all the other Nordics) as a high quality of living so something must be being done right, Im sure like ever country it has it shortcomings. What was the Youtube documentary about? As most of us know the UK has some major issues and if looked at just from the outside it may seem like a panacea but we know living here it has huge social, educational, political and economic issues that are mounting up by the day....yet people still emigrate to the UK and its seen as a top place to live. We will visit Norway in August, it wont be our only visit if we did decide to even consider moving, but a first step on a long journey, we are in no rush as such so it it doesn't tick the boxes we would consider Sweden or Denmark or another country, I suppose like everything its what works for each person. Thanks again.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Scot47.....trust me the UK SS are far, far worse, having unfortunately had dealings with them they would make the real SS seem like pussycats almost, I think anywhere in the world it may be true but in the UK they are truly dreadful and disgraceful so what i have read on Norway is to me nothing surprising.....which is very sad.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike1001
Hi BigMak,
I hope you are doing good today.
Ok not wishing to beat the issue to death re networks. A job gives you instant access to networks and family usually helps with a job. If you have a job, you have a network. Now many possibly all things are possible, however without a support network the chances of success are limited and in some cases bound to fail.
My opinions are formed through experience. I try to be objective and rational. I may not always be, but its not for the want of trying. After all opinions based upon no or poor research are prejudiced, or so Voltaire reckons, so I try to avoid opinions without first hand experience and basing on two or more sources.
Norway has poor infrastructure outside the main towns and cities. Try going further north than Stavanger or Bergen and see how you enjoy the road network. Norway is colder than Sweden, wetter than Sweden and has more rocks than Sweden. Try building a basement without blasting. A digger wont cut it.
Swedes are generally friendlier and more helpful ( this is based on my personal interactions) someone else may say the opposite I guess, however my wife agrees.
Sweden is a far more generous country re child allowances, free schooling and meals at school. Did you know for example, Norway does not provide a hot meal for school or nursery kids? Remember Norway gets very cold in winter. Speaking of winter, the Swedes are experts at clearing and gritting, the Norwegians less so. In Sweden they clear the snow, in Norway they tend not to. In fact often in Norway if the plough got down my road, I then had to clear a metre high wall of ice from the driveway before I could even get on the road. That just does not happen in Sweden ( not in my experience anyway)
Swedish schooling is diverse, anything from International English to Montissori to Waldorf and all free! If you want your child to have different from the bog standard state, its there. Not so in Norway. They have some diversity, but expensive and private only.
Sweden and Denmark have excellent organic food ( Denmark particularly), but compared to Norway which has its food supply and distribution controlled by one or two families, the range and freshness of the food is outstanding. In fact the food is outstanding compared to UK in this regard.
Sweden in my experience is much more respectful of basic human rights than Norway. Check out Barnavernet. There is a great BBC utube documentary I advise you to look at. That alone is a good reason to avoid Norway.
I could go on , but I am even boring myself now.
I have to say I like the Swedes, generally, I love Southern Sweden, generally, and my wife and kids particularly have been welcomes with open arms.
I am generally impressed with "how good" and decent most Swedes I have met are. I cant say that about anywhere else I have lived including the country of my birth!
Denmark is great for alternative health care. I wont go into that as its too political. But for me its a great thing.
Ok Im definitely finished now
Cheers
What about the long term prospects in Sweden ? There is a lot of news, some of it very sensationalist, on changes occurring in Sweden and parts that are not too safe these days.

I used to visit Malmo , but news reports indicate it has a lot of problems not present 20 years ago.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

1. For the big man. Barnavernet are your worst nightmare, whatever anyone has been through in UK, the UK protects through the normal court system ( ATM) your right to a private family life. Norway does not!
2. Dont believe these standard of life surveys. They are mostly innaccurate and often complete baloney.
2. Malmo has a reputation. Its not all true and much of it sensationalised reporting. I have a few friends with families who love Malmo and living there.
3. The rest of Sweden is as safe a country as you will find anywhere in the world. Thats my experience., And I have lived in about ten countries. Ive only had one incident of note with an elderly aggressive driver, ive had two contacts with the police, both times they were extremely helpful, and I have mot so much as heard a raised voice or swearing in public. Younger people and youths are respectful and dont generally intimidate as can be the case in UK.
4 I dont work for the Swedish tourist board.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I am no fan of the Social Work Industry in the UK in its various guises. I suspect the Norwegian model is a bit more intimidating. The saving grave of the UK in this respect is the incompetence of the social workers and the creaky system they try to run.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Annabel12 is an unknown quantity at this point

So? How it went? Did you guys visit Norway in the Summer?
Being Polish myself I lived for 10 yrs in UK, 3 yrs in Sweden (freaking nightmare), 1 yr ago I moved to Oslo and it was the best thing I ever did! The city is lovely, there's plenty of jobs and Oslo is bilingual so there's no probs to use English. There's also big Polish community if your lady likes to have a contact with other Poles. I obviously learn Norwegian but it's not a must to get started here.
I got a job before I moved, then my husband followed and he's got a job within a week.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

hi Annabel12, we actually didn’t manage to go in the end, as always things happened and then the summer was over....however I am looking at booking in November for our anniversary.
Glad to hear you’ve had a positive experience. What do you find best or at least better than say in the UK?
Jobwise was it easy even without knowing Norwegian?
People complain about high prices and lack of housing, did you find this?
It’s good to know a good polish community, although always nice to mix, is there many polish shops/places to eat....that’s what my partner misses the most! She misses that mostly from home but sure she’s be happy to know there is a polish community that she could also tap in to.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike1001
1. For the big man. Barnavernet are your worst nightmare, whatever anyone has been through in UK, the UK protects through the normal court system ( ATM) your right to a private family life. Norway does not!
2. Dont believe these standard of life surveys. They are mostly innaccurate and often complete baloney.
2. Malmo has a reputation. Its not all true and much of it sensationalised reporting. I have a few friends with families who love Malmo and living there.
3. The rest of Sweden is as safe a country as you will find anywhere in the world. Thats my experience., And I have lived in about ten countries. Ive only had one incident of note with an elderly aggressive driver, ive had two contacts with the police, both times they were extremely helpful, and I have mot so much as heard a raised voice or swearing in public. Younger people and youths are respectful and dont generally intimidate as can be the case in UK.
4 I dont work for the Swedish tourist board.
I find it challenging to understand he true situation in Sweden in regards to crime and the situation with the migrants/refugees. Discounting the sensationalist press there does appear to be an increase in crime and decline in social cohesion yet others claim Sweden remains a safe country. Looking at pictures and numbers of school burnings for example, that isn't the Sweden I knew of years ago.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

I think every country has its issues, every city, town or even village will have things it will need to content with, even the smallest, most remote part of the world.
For me its just making the impact of any negative situation on my family the minimum it can be and sometimes just like moving from one place in the same country to another a move abroad is needed or at least worth a try.
Mike1001 says the the UK protects through the normal court system, trust me through very bitter personal experience that is far from the case, in parts it makes North Korea seem reasonable, its as corrupt, as incompetent, as unprofessional and unfair as any country you think may be worse. I am still scared by it now down to to every fibre and its just one reason we are thinking of the move.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Annabel12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigMak
Glad to hear you’ve had a positive experience. What do you find best or at least better than say in the UK?
Jobwise was it easy even without knowing Norwegian?
People complain about high prices and lack of housing, did you find this?
It’s good to know a good polish community, although always nice to mix, is there many polish shops/places to eat....that’s what my partner misses the most! She misses that mostly from home but sure she’s be happy to know there is a polish community that she could also tap in to.
Best thing is surely the standard of life - you can afford more doing the same job. People here work to live, not live to work, so there's much less stress. More affordable housing as properties are cheaper - in Oslo you get nice large 2 bedroom for avg £400K. It's difficult to find something to rent though as there's plenty of ppl moving to town all the time - I was hunting the appartment for 2 months (but I was fussy as well) - but new properties are being built all over the place.
There's plenty of jobs, more to come and many of them are English speaking so Norwegian is not a big issue. We didn't have a problem and I still speak English at work despite most of my clients are Norwegian.
Yes, it seems expensive but wages are almost double so it balances itself on +. Also - you pay for a decent quality and you won't find Asda Price here. If you wanna save on groceries and alcohol there are border shopping centres on Swedish side 1 hr away from Oslo - all half price, we go there once/month and load our car up to the roof
No Polish food or restaurants here.
Besides Oslo is the cleanest and safest town that I've ever been to - no druggies, no rubbish, very little crime.
I recommend that you come and take a look by yourselves
Old Sep 24th 2017, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Poland ? Have you looked at the insane clerico-fascists who run that country now ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaros%...Kaczy%C5%84ski

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.