British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Scandinavia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/scandinavia-174/)
-   -   Living in Denmark, kids and paperwork (https://britishexpats.com/forum/scandinavia-174/living-denmark-kids-paperwork-850600/)

piercedprincess Jan 12th 2015 9:28 pm

Living in Denmark, kids and paperwork

Hi there! I'm originally English, joining from the Moving to the USA section after marrying an American and currently living in the US but moving to Denmark very shortly for a few years.

It's a bit difficult to get straight answers on anything because we're not a straightforward case so by any chance does anyone know what you do to get all the right paperwork when a US citizen parent and a UK citizen parent have a baby in Denmark? Would be aiming to get Denmark-born baby a US passport. Dual citizenship would be nice but isn't essential. Would it be easier to just fly back to the US to give birth then sort out a passport and go back to Denmark?

I never do anything unless it's extremely unusual or complicated, apparently.

JAJ Jan 17th 2015 9:21 pm

Re: Living in Denmark, kids and paperwork

More information needed.

One parent U.S. citizen, or both?
Was the British parent born or naturalised in the United Kingdom?

piercedprincess Jan 18th 2015 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 11537047)
More information needed.

One parent U.S. citizen, or both?
Was the British parent born or naturalised in the United Kingdom?

It says in the middle section, one US citizen parent and one UK citizen parent. Born in the US and UK respectively, as it says in the first line.

JAJ Jan 19th 2015 1:28 am

Originally Posted by piercedprincess (Post 11537590)
It says in the middle section, one US citizen parent and one UK citizen parent. Born in the US and UK respectively, as it says in the first line.

Based on the information given, it appears that child will be a British citizen by descent.

Whether the child will be a U.S. citizen or not depends on the amount of time the American parent has spent in the United States. Generally, a total of 5 years, including at least 2 years after age 14.

piercedprincess Jan 22nd 2015 12:57 am

That makes no sense whatsoever. My being English doesn't negate my husband's being American.

I was born and raised in the UK and am a UK citizen. Lived in the UK for about 25 years, US for about 1 year.
OH was born and raised in the US and is a US citizen. Lived in the US for about 25 years, also spent some time deployed in Iraq and a year studying in the UK.

I was expecting to just have to submit a Danish birth certificate to the US embassy and fill some forms in to get baby a passport.

BritInParis Jan 22nd 2015 9:04 am

Originally Posted by piercedprincess (Post 11541065)
That makes no sense whatsoever. My being English doesn't negate my husband's being American.

I was born and raised in the UK and am a UK citizen. Lived in the UK for about 25 years, US for about 1 year.
OH was born and raised in the US and is a US citizen. Lived in the US for about 25 years, also spent some time deployed in Iraq and a year studying in the UK.

I was expecting to just have to submit a Danish birth certificate to the US embassy and fill some forms in to get baby a passport.

I've re-read both sets of comments and JAJ is being quite clear. I'm not sure where your confusion stems from.

If you, a British citizen, and your husband, a US citizen, have a child in Denmark then whether that child is a Danish, British or US citizen is based on three different sets of nationality law. Dual citizenship is not something you apply for - it results from holding two or more citizenships depending on individual countries' nationality laws.

- Danish citizenship is not an option as, despite being born in Denmark, your child would need to have a Danish parent.

- If you were born in the UK then you are able to pass on your British citizenship automatically to any children born inside or outside the UK. Your child would therefore be British at birth. Consular birth registration is not a requirement for citizenship or a passport but it is recommended. Both applications will need to be sent to the UK.

- As your husband has fulfilled the residence requirements then your child would also be a US citizen automatically. You will need to report the birth of your child to the US Embassy in Denmark if you wish your child to hold a US passport. As a US citizen he or she is required by US law to enter and leave the US on a US passport.

JAJ Jan 23rd 2015 1:16 am

Originally Posted by piercedprincess (Post 11541065)

Presumably you have a green card. If so, since you say you intend to return to the U.S., do you plan to try to keep it, file for a re-entry permit, etc? Also, presumably, you understand the U.S. federal tax obligations involved?

No. Children born to U.S. citizens are not automatically American. It sounds like your child will be, however your husband will have to show he meets the physical presence requirements to transmit U.S. citizenship. Upon submission of this evidence + Danish birth certificate, child then gets a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. With this in hand, parent then applies for the child to have a U.S. passport and Social Security Number.

Child will likely need a Danish residence permit unless and until you obtain a British passport for him or her.

piercedprincess Jan 27th 2015 9:48 pm

What I'm taking away from all this is "Yes, it would be easier to just fly back to the US to give birth then sort out a passport and go back to Denmark after"

BritInParis Jan 27th 2015 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by piercedprincess (Post 11547232)
What I'm taking away from all this is "Yes, it would be easier to just fly back to the US to give birth then sort out a passport and go back to Denmark after"

Unlikely, not to mention the enormous cost of giving birth in the US.

If you give birth in Denmark the only extra step you need to do is to register the child's birth with the US Embassy in Copenhagen.

Scots in Treignac Sep 18th 2015 12:13 am

I'm probably a bit late, but I'm appalled at some of the misinformation you are getting.

Try this site http:
How do I get a birth certificate? | international.kk.dk

On birth, children have a form filled in by the midwife which is then sent to
the State Church Office which issues a birth certificate.

Parents may also need to take a form to their local church office. NB this applies to all births in Denmark regardless of church attendance.

The birth certificate does not necessarily give Danish nationality. I have a Danish Birth Certificate , but as far as I am aware I am not a Danish citizen.

If you are British and have lived in the UK recently (which you have) , then as an EU citizen you can live and work in Denmark. Your entitlement to be part of the Healthcare system (and possibly the childcare) depend on the National Insurance contributions you have made in the UK will.

I see no reason why the baby could not have three birth certificates. Contact the British Embassy and also the appropriate US dept.

Scots in Treignac Sep 18th 2015 12:20 am

I was told that on reaching the age of 18 I could choose to become a Danish Citizen. By that time I was living in the UK and Denmark still had National Service. Both my parents were British. It was only recently that I leaned for my sister that my Danish Baptismal Certificate is the Danish equivalent of a birth certificate.

FlyingDutchman6666 Sep 18th 2015 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Scots in Treignac (Post 11751592)
I'm probably a bit late, but I'm appalled at some of the misinformation you are getting.

I'm not sure what misinformation you're referring to.

scot47 Sep 20th 2015 4:51 pm

What do non-believing or non-Christian parents do in Denmark ? Is there no substitute for a Baptismal Certificate ?

BritInParis Sep 20th 2015 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666 (Post 11751604)
I'm not sure what misinformation you're referring to.

Ditto.

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 11753492)
What do non-believing or non-Christian parents do in Denmark ? Is there no substitute for a Baptismal Certificate ?

A Danish birth certificate and baptismal certificate are separate documents. Birth certificates are processed by the Register of the State Church regardless of the religious affiliation of the parents.

nonthaburi Sep 28th 2015 1:30 pm

Something you should be aware of regarding your Child''s British citizenship is what happens when he/she has children.

As I understand it, if your child has a kid with a non-Brit and gives birth outside the UK then the child will not be able to claim British citizenship.

That is if you have your child outside the UK.

British citizenship can only be passed down one generation.