British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Scandinavia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/scandinavia-174/)
-   -   Jobs for English Speakers in Norway (https://britishexpats.com/forum/scandinavia-174/jobs-english-speakers-norway-917774/)

carollynne Sep 28th 2018 6:32 pm

Jobs for English Speakers in Norway

Hey!

I'm planning on moving to Norway next May with my Norwegian boyfriend (I'm from the UK). My grasp of the Norwegian language is very basic - I can understand the context of conversations, but I struggle to pick up on smaller details, as well as speaking back. I'm finding it hard to learn the language without being totally immersed in it and I'm hoping that once we arrive in Norway, the immersion will help my language skills develop much quicker.

In the meantime though, I need to find a job. I do part-time freelance work (digital marketing & social media) for clients in the UK and US, but the small amount I earn probably isn't going to go very far in Norway!

I've tried searching for English-speaking jobs in Norway, but so far I haven't had much luck. Most of them require you to speak both Norwegian and English, which is understandable.

Are their any British expats out there who managed to find work before becoming more fluent in Norwegian? Any advice would be much appreciated!

:)

Gordon Barlow Oct 1st 2018 5:41 am

Re: Jobs for English Speakers in Norway

Originally Posted by carollynne (Post 12569830)
I'm planning on moving to Norway next May with my Norwegian boyfriend (I'm from the UK). My grasp of the Norwegian language is very basic - I can understand the context of conversations, but I struggle to pick up on smaller details, as well as speaking back. I'm finding it hard to learn the language without being totally immersed in it and I'm hoping that once we arrive in Norway, the immersion will help my language skills develop much quicker.
In the meantime though, I need to find a job.

My suggestion would be to snuggle up to your boyfriend a bit closer! Nothing in this world is as effectual as pillow-talk, for learning a foreign language. My son did that when he first went to Norway following his pregnant Norwegian girlfriend and her toddler, and that's how he learnt Norsk. That was 15 years ago, but the principle still holds true. I don't mean you should get pregnant, necessarily, but - well, if all else fails...

(I took a very expensive Berlitz course in Oslo, and it was a complete waste of time and money, so don't do that.) Good luck!

NH1987 Nov 5th 2018 11:39 am

Originally Posted by carollynne (Post 12569830)
Hey!

In the meantime though, I need to find a job. I do part-time freelance work (digital marketing & social media) for clients in the UK and US, but the small amount I earn probably isn't going to go very far in Norway!

I've tried searching for English-speaking jobs in Norway, but so far I haven't had much luck. Most of them require you to speak both Norwegian and English, which is understandable.

Are their any British expats out there who managed to find work before becoming more fluent in Norwegian? Any advice would be much appreciated!

:)

Hi, I would really encourage you to learn as much of the language as you possibly can and try to get to a confident level. I moved just outside Oslo with my Norwegian GF and have found it extremely difficult to get into employment. Everybody will have different experiences I'm sure but knowing the language and culture is massive over here. My partner and her family have been very supportive but that will only get you so far. I had the idea that once I was in a role I would pick up the language a lot faster but getting into a role is not easy if you are not at a good level.

There does seem to be an abundance of social media and digital marketing roles (certainly in the Oslo area) so that should stand you in good stead!. My GF is also in the same line of work so if you need any help or advice let me know and I will try and help if I can. Likewise if you come across any English speaking roles/companies in the meantime please let me know :).

scot47 Nov 6th 2018 7:39 am

The thread should really have the title "Jobs in Norway for Non-speakers of Norwegian". Learn the language. That is what I say. Do not expect to function in Norway without it. Harsh ? Maybe.