Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

Holiday let in Sweden.

Holiday let in Sweden.

Old Aug 19th 2013, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Holiday let in Sweden.

I'm looking for a small property investment to supplement my meagre retirement income. There have been a couple of cheap rural properties in Sweden offered on Ebay lately and I'm wondering if it is worth me investigating this market. I know the cost of living is high in Sweden so I guess it would cost too much to have such a place property managed (cleaning, laundry, gardening etc). Any advice on this idea would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Nekkid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Holiday let in Sweden.

Hi!
There's no way it would be profitable to have it managed. A cleaner here takes in excess of 20 quid an hour, and thats about the worst paid of the trades!
Wuld you be trying to let to Swedes or Brits? If Swedes it would have to be a real hummdinger of a property as everybody either owns there own summer cottage or knows someone who does. It could work on the english market, but finding someone to handle maintanance and that sort of thing might be a challenge. It is beautiful here but in the summer it's soooooo full of mosquitos and other biting insects that i suspect any Brit that came here would only do so once!
It's worth investigating though.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Nekkid is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!
There's no way it would be profitable to have it managed. A cleaner here takes in excess of 20 quid an hour, and thats about the worst paid of the trades!
Wuld you be trying to let to Swedes or Brits? If Swedes it would have to be a real hummdinger of a property as everybody either owns there own summer cottage or knows someone who does. It could work on the english market, but finding someone to handle maintanance and that sort of thing might be a challenge. It is beautiful here but in the summer it's soooooo full of mosquitos and other biting insects that i suspect any Brit that came here would only do so once!
It's worth investigating though.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

skylarkpilot is an unknown quantity at this point

The most profitable properties for that kind of investment don't come cheap but can make money. Look up Framby Udde in Falun, Dalarna. The properties there are expensive but you do 'own' them. The resort then rents them out when you don't want to use them and handles cleaning and grounds keeping etc. At Framby the cottages are rented out summer for the swimming and sailing etc and also in the winter for the skating. Most of the visitors are middle class Dutch families and so there has never to my knowledge been any problems with damage or the like. They do seem a little expensive to buy but the rentals are pretty reliable summer and winter alike. May be worth considering this or something similar.

Last edited by skylarkpilot; Nov 11th 2013 at 8:36 pm. Reason: Spelling error