Reload this Page >

Looking into moving to Denmark

Looking into moving to Denmark

Old Nov 28th 2014, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

MoonDK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking into moving to Denmark

Hello, folks. I'm new to the forum.

I'm in a long-distance relationship with a Dane who I originally met online. We've met in person and have been together for a while, so we're looking to close the distance. One option has been for him to move to me, but really feel I need a fresh start away from the UK.

I'm looking into moving to Denmark. I've read about some people with little or no knowledge of Danish finding "unskilled" work, but mainly in Copenhagen. My boyfriend doesn't live near Copenhagen, so I'm hoping to find something nearer to him.

I work in the hospitality and catering sector, with vast amounts of experience in retail. Naturally, working in customer-facing roles in Denmark would mean I'd have to become proficient in Danish. I'm already learning some of the language through my boyfriend and online lessons.

Is there much of a chance of finding work with little Danish knowledge in the South of Denmark? I'm not work shy and will consider employment in other sectors, even cleaning or washing dishes. I'll do what it takes.

Thanks!
Old Dec 7th 2014, 11:54 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking into moving to Denmark

Just a boyfriend? Are you sure this is the right thing for you?

You say hospitality and catering are your skills, but what are his skills? What languages (other than English) does he speak? Do you speak German by chance? Does he? (you mention south of Denmark). Will he be chained to Denmark until retirement?

Denmark has a lot of social positives, and the Danish are some of my favourite characters, but (IMO) Denmark is one of the most boring places in Europe - especially outside Copenhagen. If the weather were better, that could make up for it, but even the weather is less-than-desirable even by UK standards.

Perhaps you both might consider moving elsewhere? To the south perhaps? You seem eager to accept any job. Hospitality and catering are job-rich in the tourist resorts.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking into moving to Denmark

Originally Posted by amideislas
Just a boyfriend? Are you sure this is the right thing for you?

You say hospitality and catering are your skills, but what are his skills? What languages (other than English) does he speak? Do you speak German by chance? Does he? (you mention south of Denmark). Will he be chained to Denmark until retirement?

Denmark has a lot of social positives, and the Danish are some of my favourite characters, but (IMO) Denmark is one of the most boring places in Europe - especially outside Copenhagen. If the weather were better, that could make up for it, but even the weather is less-than-desirable even by UK standards.

Perhaps you both might consider moving elsewhere? To the south perhaps? You seem eager to accept any job. Hospitality and catering are job-rich in the tourist resorts.
Well I would say boring places can be great for some. I could never live in a bigger city again and weather is also no issue compared to other places in Northern Europe. If you like outdoor living, Denmark can be great. The problem will be language and as said depends what your boyfriend does.