Reload this Page >

Taxi driving in Norway

Taxi driving in Norway

Old Jul 19th 2013, 10:13 pm
MrX
Just Joined

MrX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taxi driving in Norway

I am a UK citizen and now wish to move Norway. I have a UK driving license and due to lack of money I am thinking to moving to Norway for an year to earn quick money and save plenty.

I would like to know what are the requirements to become a taxi driver in Norway? My full driving license is only 1 year old. I believe I would not need any work permit being a UK citizen?

My aim is to move anywhere in Norway, Luxembourg, Monaco or whichever country that can help me earn quick money. I do not have too many qualifications but educated enough for basic jobs.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Taxi driving in Norway

Do you speak Norwegian? Do you know any Pakistani's or Somali's in Norway who own a taxi company?

Standard procedure would be a locality test, proven norwegian speaking abilities (i.e an approved language course, completed and graded), and then some internal testing.

Get in touch with Oslo taxi perhaps, I believe them to be the largest operator in the Oslo area. Forget small towns.

http://www.oslotaxi.no/home____2921.aspx

But as far as I'm aware, it's not really an area to make a 'quick buck', taxi's are extremely pricey, minimum price is over £10 last time I took one and public transport is good and reliable.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrX
I would like to know what are the requirements to become a taxi driver in Norway? My full driving license is only 1 year old. I believe I would not need any work permit being a UK citizen?
The cost of a driving licence is about 2000 pds, because the authorities make you go through the whole thing from go to whoa. My son lives in Norway, and that's what he has told me. You're right that no Work Permit is necessary, but Norway is quite the wrong place to make some quick bucks - ESPECIALLY if you don't speak Norsk! Come on, man! A taxi-driver who can't understand the local language??
Old Aug 18th 2013, 7:32 pm
MrX
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Paracletus
Do you speak Norwegian? Do you know any Pakistani's or Somali's in Norway who own a taxi company?

Standard procedure would be a locality test, proven norwegian speaking abilities (i.e an approved language course, completed and graded), and then some internal testing.

Get in touch with Oslo taxi perhaps, I believe them to be the largest operator in the Oslo area. Forget small towns.

http://www.oslotaxi.no/home____2921.aspx

But as far as I'm aware, it's not really an area to make a 'quick buck', taxi's are extremely pricey, minimum price is over £10 last time I took one and public transport is good and reliable.
Hello sorry for late reply,

Thanks a lot for your reply. No I do not know Norwegian but wouldn't mind learning it when I am actually there in Norway. I do know few people living in Norway but I wouldn't bother about taking their help. I have been to Sweden, Norway and Denmark as a tourist (and when I was rich enough to afford such luxury trips).

Is there anything that can support me initially? May be some sort of cover by the Government just to settle there for a month or so? I would be willing to do any job in Norway. Even the cleaners job is fine, I just want to leave UK for an year and relocate to Scandinavia. There is some serious financial problem I have these days and I believe it would be a wiser option to save plenty of money and get rid of these financial crisis before relocating back to UK where my family is based. I wouldn't mind eat one piece of chicken and working 16 hours a day and then get moving the next day --- lol

I just need to solve this matter out as I feel enough is enough and I should spare one year of my life to just save the money and get rid of my debts for good.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 7:34 pm
MrX
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
The cost of a driving licence is about 2000 pds, because the authorities make you go through the whole thing from go to whoa. My son lives in Norway, and that's what he has told me. You're right that no Work Permit is necessary, but Norway is quite the wrong place to make some quick bucks - ESPECIALLY if you don't speak Norsk! Come on, man! A taxi-driver who can't understand the local language??
Thanks a lot for your response Sir,

Can you please ask him how many years of driving licence is required before you can work as a Taxi Driver?

and please ask him how hard is it to get any kind of job in Norway. I just want to move there and work anywhere. My education is limited to AS Level and I always planned to resume study again in my dreams. But due to my recent financial crisis, I need to do anything to get out of debts and get settled in my life.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 7:39 pm
MrX
Just Joined

I replied to post number 2 as well but for some reason it said the post will have to be moderated by being published here?

I hope MODs can approve it soon.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

EnglishPatriot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Come on, man! A taxi-driver who can't understand the local language??
There are plenty of taxi drivers in the UK who struggle with the language.

Most get by through a combination of memorising the most common places that people ask to go and sat navs.

Particularly in the age of satellite navigation, I see no real reason why a taxi driver would need to be absolutely fluent in the local language, other than to make small talk with their clients, which is hardly a job necessity.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 10:21 pm
MrX
Just Joined

OK I spoke with one of my norwegian friend today and he told me useful information and helped me resolve most of my unanswered questions.

Now I just need to know if the Norwegian Government can support me in any case for the first month while living in Norway?

I think I should be able to find a job fairly soon. I have also come to know the basic rules about driving a taxi that you have to pass the language course and your UK driving license is valid and enough for such purpose.

But how about the start. I don't want to waste 3000-5000 pounds or so before I find a suitable job. Is there any sort of help I can seek form the Norwegian government as a starter?
Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:28 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrX
OK I spoke with one of my norwegian friend today and he told me useful information and helped me resolve most of my unanswered questions.

Now I just need to know if the Norwegian Government can support me in any case for the first month while living in Norway?

I think I should be able to find a job fairly soon. I have also come to know the basic rules about driving a taxi that you have to pass the language course and your UK driving license is valid and enough for such purpose.

But how about the start. I don't want to waste 3000-5000 pounds or so before I find a suitable job. Is there any sort of help I can seek form the Norwegian government as a starter?
Unless you are a refugee, then do not expect any financial assistance from the Norwegian (or any other countries) government.

To be honest you are coming across as being very naive, you have held a driving licence for a year, cant speak Norwegian and are expecting the government to help you "until I find a job".

s there anything that can support me initially? May be some sort of cover by the Government just to settle there for a month or so? I would be willing to do any job in Norway. Even the cleaners job is fine, I just want to leave UK for an year and relocate to Scandinavia. There is some serious financial problem I have these days and I believe it would be a wiser option to save plenty of money and get rid of these financial crisis before relocating back to UK where my family is based. I wouldn't mind eat one piece of chicken and working 16 hours a day and then get moving the next day --- lol
You can't run away from your problems, people do not get rich working in Scandinavia, so there is not going to be a pot of gold waiting for you. You are leaving yourself open to exploitation.

Did you say you had a UK passport? Are you 30 years old or younger? You can apply for a WHV (working Holiday Visa) to Australia, Canada or New Zealand. This would perhaps be a better option for you to consider.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 9:15 pm
MrX
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Unless you are a refugee, then do not expect any financial assistance from the Norwegian (or any other countries) government.

To be honest you are coming across as being very naive, you have held a driving licence for a year, cant speak Norwegian and are expecting the government to help you "until I find a job".

You can't run away from your problems, people do not get rich working in Scandinavia, so there is not going to be a pot of gold waiting for you. You are leaving yourself open to exploitation.

Did you say you had a UK passport? Are you 30 years old or younger? You can apply for a WHV (working Holiday Visa) to Australia, Canada or New Zealand. This would perhaps be a better option for you to consider.
The advantage for moving Norway is that it is easy to travel around Europe/UK. You simply buy a ticket for £20 from RyanAir and you are off flying back to your Home in worst circumstances.

I am 25
Old Aug 21st 2013, 4:30 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrX
The advantage for moving Norway is that it is easy to travel around Europe/UK. You simply buy a ticket for £20 from RyanAir and you are off flying back to your Home in worst circumstances.

I am 25
Hi, butting in from the France forum!
As Norway isn't a member of the European Union, would you need to cope with Norwegian bureaucracy in order to get a work permit? Just a thought, as French bureaucracy is bad enough for EU citizens at the best of times, and they are free to work in the EU....

P.S. Have just noticed your other post. At least Denmark is in the EU, but the language won't be any easier than Norwegian!

Last edited by dmu; Aug 21st 2013 at 4:36 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 6:15 am
Just Joined

Neptun has a spectacular aura aboutNeptun has a spectacular aura aboutNeptun has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dmu
As Norway isn't a member of the European Union, would you need to cope with Norwegian bureaucracy in order to get a work permit?
Norway is in the EEA (as well as Iceland and Liechtenstein), so basically the same rules as in the EU apply:
free movement of goods, persons, services, and capital.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 8:40 am
MrX
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
As Norway isn't a member of the European Union, would you need to cope with Norwegian bureaucracy in order to get a work permit? Just a thought, as French bureaucracy is bad enough for EU citizens at the best of times, and they are free to work in the EU....

P.S. Have just noticed your other post. At least Denmark is in the EU, but the language won't be any easier than Norwegian!
As far as I understand, I won't be needing any sort of work permit for being an EU citizen already.

I might not be able to enjoy any social security benefits for a specific amount of time but it is my right to legally work and live in Norway if I want to?

https://www.gov.uk/living-in-norway

British Nationals are free to enter Norway for up to 6 months to look for work or set up a business. If you do not manage to establish yourself within the 6 month period, but are still financially stable, you may be able to remain in Norway.
So the only question is to find a job or some sort of self-employment depending upon my existing skills
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:17 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

aren't these all countries with a high level of spoken English ??
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:42 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptun
Norway is in the EEA (as well as Iceland and Liechtenstein), so basically the same rules as in the EU apply:
free movement of goods, persons, services, and capital.
OK, my bad!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.