Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

'Reception' classes in Copenhagen

'Reception' classes in Copenhagen

Old Feb 22nd 2016, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

JonteS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 'Reception' classes in Copenhagen

I'm moving to Copenhagen in July with my wife along with my 4 and 7 year old. I want to enroll them in a public school there but it seems that if they cannot speak Danish they have to attend a special reception class at another school until they are fluent.

Does anybody have any experience of these special classes?
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Reception' classes in Copenhagen

Well they have to learn Danish - unless you have the money to pay for the International Schools.

Last edited by scot47; Feb 23rd 2016 at 9:04 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Yorkie_in_SD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
Well they have to learn Danish - unless you have the money to pay for the International Schools.
Fees at certain Intl Schools here in CPH are nowhere near as extortionate as you might be led to believe. We pay no more than £250 per month each for our two (5- and 8-yo).
Old Feb 26th 2016, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

That is very reasonable. I just assumed that they would be at the usually high levels found elsewhere.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Yorkie_in_SD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
That is very reasonable. I just assumed that they would be at the usually high levels found elsewhere.
It's a very reasonable assumption. Even private schools here are subsidised by the State. So while fees still vary greatly, there are affordable Intl Schools to be found here.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In the Middle East it is common to pay £6000 a year - or more - for international schools.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 7:48 am
Just Joined

JonteS is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the replies. We're going for an enrollment interview at an international school this week. While international schools all seems to be relatively inexpensive, they also seem to be over subscribed with long waiting lists.

I think there are advantages to the public school system at least for young children in that they learn Danish faster, make Danish friends, and have friends in the same neighbourhood. Whereas the international schools take children from all over the city - making play dates hard.