Gothenburg, Sweden

Old May 1st 2011, 2:41 am
Just Joined

laurasblease is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gothenburg, Sweden

Hello! My name is Laura,

I am 23 years old and currently living in Manchester, UK. I am a student nurse in my second year of a three year course. My boyfriend lives in Gothenburg, Sweden. I met him here in Manchester and we travel back and forth to see each other. When I qualify in August 2012, I'd like to move to Gothenburg so me and the O/H can begin our lives, so really I'd like to speak to anybody that has moved there from the UK, or maybe any English nurses working there? I'm obviously very worried about finding a job! I am learning Swedish, but at a slow rate since I've got so much work with uni.

I heard about a free course to learn Swedish with my government? Does anybody know how I can access this?

Any help would be brill!

Thanks guys,

Laura xxx
Old May 4th 2011, 7:59 am
Just Joined

johnpaulrack is just really nicejohnpaulrack is just really nicejohnpaulrack is just really nicejohnpaulrack is just really nicejohnpaulrack is just really nicejohnpaulrack is just really nicejohnpaulrack is just really nicejohnpaulrack is just really nice
Default Re: Gothenburg, Sweden

Hi Laura
I'm in Lund where - like most of Sweden - you can get by very well with English. I took a course here last summer with the Folkuniversitet and I know that there are lots of courses here by 'SFI' which you can access pretty easily once you have arrived.
The fact that so many Swedes speak good English is a mixed blessing because it takes away some of the motivation to learn but I can see you'll need it for your kind of work. Have you checked that your professional qualifications will carry weight over here?
Good Luck with it all -it's a great country and Gothenburg is a great city.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

tsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nice
Default Re: Gothenburg, Sweden

i would suggest that you get in touch with the corresponding nurses' regulatory body of sweden and confirm with them that your qualification would be recognised and you can become a registered nurse straight away.
am saying that, because the recognition of the doctors' diplomas is not authomatic, but as a single case, might well be the case with the nurses as well.
clarify that point, and then think about finding a job.
http://www.swenurse.se/Startsida-Engelska/About-us/

i called their medical council some time ago, they do speak very good english, and you can register without having to pass any exams in swedish language. but, they warned me that unless i find an employer who would be willing to wait for me to learn the language, i might need to achieve a certain level of proficiency in swedish in order to get a job offer.
As Malmo and Gothenburg are Sweden's most southern cities, i.e. a bit better climate & everybody wants to live there, i assume it may not be so easy to get a job straight away, but u may be lucky
There are some offers in the german Ă„rzteblatt, but none of them is for the big cities, all are for small and more remote towns in Sweden.

anyway, check the situation with the registration as a nurse in sweden and then just start looking for a job once you get ur degree. if it takes longer, get a job in the uk first so u can get some experience.