British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Scandinavia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/scandinavia-174/)
-   -   Experiences of Sweden Pros Cons (https://britishexpats.com/forum/scandinavia-174/experiences-sweden-pros-cons-875580/)

mem79 Apr 8th 2016 7:44 am

Experiences of Sweden Pros Cons

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and me and my family have been living in Sweden for the last 4 years. Before that we were living in the UK. We have Three children that are 6, 4 and 2.

Looking for advice on moving back to the UK pros and cons etc that other people have. After four years here we are thinking that perhaps it is not the best place be for us as we have little support network over here and we are finding it difficult financially with only one salary. My wife is Learning Swedish at the moment but it is not likely that she will be able to get a job for at least another year.

If anyone has any tips on getting the day to day costs down here in Sweden I'd gladly like to hear from you.

One of the things about moving back is how are we going to make it easy for our children going to school as my oldest will be quite far behind the other children.

We are still just thinking about it at the moment and nothing is definate about moving yet.

Thanks.

scot47 Apr 8th 2016 8:01 am

Re: Experiences of Sweden Pros Cons

The UK is a very diverse place. Where are you going ?

mem79 Apr 8th 2016 8:08 am

We are not going anywhere in particular, we are just toying with the idea of going back and weighing up he pros and cons.

I've not got a job to go back t so would have to apply and see if I would get one. So it all depends. but we have been taking about if we were to move we would move to a small town village as we think it would be too much of a shock for our children moving to a big city ( and having to fight to get a school place!!)

scot47 Apr 8th 2016 4:24 pm

Cities in UK are dreadful unless you have oodles of money.

Dick Dasterdly Apr 15th 2016 10:03 pm

Possible tragic news for all Swedes.

Could Eurovision be threatened by TV staff strike? - The Local

Could this be the end of their World as they know it ? :huh:

miffy888 Apr 16th 2016 11:44 am

Where in Sweden do you live?

937carrera May 7th 2016 12:08 am

It does depend where you live in Sweden & where in the UK you want to move to. I used to live in Sweden and almost everything was more expensive than I was used to in the northern England. You probably know that salary differentials are much lower in Sweden so your type of job makes a difference too.

miffy888 May 7th 2016 12:11 pm

Agree with Carrera. I have been in Sweden for 12 years, and found it incredibly difficult initially being in the middle of nowhere after London, but have to say I think that on many levels Sweden is now cheaper than the UK. In 2013 I was back in the UK for 5 months and thought food prices were not noticably cheaper (unless you really went for budget lines), housing is astronomical, both rented and to buy, and the sheer over population of the UK, even in relatively posh areas was overwhelming. Perhaps I have just got used to having lots of space, but salaries don't seem to have moved on in the UK that much either. Again as you said it does really depend on where you are . If you are in Stockholm central then it is really pricey, like any major city, and if you move up North in the UK I guess there are still bargains to be had re housing and so on. Overall I think that I am far better off in Sweden, both quality of live and comparatively salary wise.

Magnus_63 Jan 19th 2017 9:13 pm

Prices january 2017 Linköping area:

1 litre of diesel: 13:99 SEK
1 kilogram of spanish tomatos: 30 SEK (expensive. it's off season, no local produce available)
1 litre of milk: 9 SEK
5 kilogram of potatoes: 35 SEK
1 kilogram ground beef: 75 SEK
500 gram bread (a loaf): 22 SEK
1 litre orange juice: 10-15 SEK

Renting an 35 year old apartment, Linköping, 6 km from city centre, 105 sq.meters, 3 bedroom, living room, kitchen, double bathrooms, parking spot: 8 400 SEK/month
In Stockholm center the price is probably closer to 16 000 SEK/month, in a small rural town maybe 5 000 SEK/month...

Haircut: 400 SEK
A pizza and a beer eating out: 150 SEK
Dinner, good quality food yet not exclusive, wine/beer: 270-330 SEK
(Remember, taxation on labour is very high in Sweden, so any service is expensive...)

Used car, typically 2009 VW Golf or similar, petrol, 7 years old, 150 000 km, good condition: 60 000 SEK at dealer, 35-40 000 SEK from private seller.

Salaries, net (after taxation). Taxation may vary depending on interets on debts etc.
Computer engineer: 28-34 000 SEK/month
Midwife/expert nurse: 22-25 000 SEK/month
Construction worker: 20-24 000 SEK/month
Dentist: 29 - 35 000 SEK/month
Chef (hotel): 17-18 000 SEK/month