Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

Dual nationality application in Norway and regaining British passport afterwards

Dual nationality application in Norway and regaining British passport afterwards

Old Aug 17th 2013, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Nordicexplorer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual nationality application in Norway and regaining British passport afterwards

I am half Norwegian but was born and raised in Britain, and I have always wanted to have a Norwegian passport as well as my British one.

I have lived in Norway for 20 years and still hold a British passport, which I have renewed at regular intervals. My Norwegian mother lives in Norway together with my British father.

If I apply for Norwegian nationality the Norwegian authorities will require me to hand in my British passport, and, I believe, sign a form to renounce my British nationality.

Can anyone confirm that this is the case? I have also heard that handing in your passport doesn't necessarily constitute renouncing my British nationality, and that I can re-apply for a British passport again afterwards.

Has anyone actually done this and can anyone give me a short lesson on how to go about it?
Old Aug 17th 2013, 11:34 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual nationality application in Norway and regaining British passport afterwards

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...upnationality/

Got all the info for you. But basically, you can reapply for British Citizenship after you have renounced it (but only once).
Old Aug 17th 2013, 11:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual nationality application in Norway and regaining British passport afterwards

If you acquired Norwegian citizenship when you were born, then you're not "applying" for Norwegian citizenship. You're just applying for the passport. In that case Norway will not require you to renounce your British citizenship.

Since you say your mother is Norwegian, it depends on when you were born. Also whether your mother lost her Norwegian citizenship if she acquired British citizenship at any point.
http://www.udi.no/Norwegian-Director...wegian-mother/

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 17th 2013 at 11:44 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, this is all very useful information. Thanks for the postings. My son has lived in Norway for ten years, and has two Norwegian children (well, one officially, the other informally adopted). I have been nagging him about getting Norwegian Permanent Residence - and I may continue to do that - but there is no advantage in applying for Norwegian citizenship if he would have to surrender his UK citizenship. Oh dear, there goes his chance to become Prime Minister, I guess...
Old Aug 18th 2013, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

Kilty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nordicexplorer
I am half Norwegian but was born and raised in Britain, and I have always wanted to have a Norwegian passport as well as my British one.

I have lived in Norway for 20 years and still hold a British passport, which I have renewed at regular intervals. My Norwegian mother lives in Norway together with my British father.

If I apply for Norwegian nationality the Norwegian authorities will require me to hand in my British passport, and, I believe, sign a form to renounce my British nationality.

Can anyone confirm that this is the case? I have also heard that handing in your passport doesn't necessarily constitute renouncing my British nationality, and that I can re-apply for a British passport again afterwards.

Has anyone actually done this and can anyone give me a short lesson on how to go about it?

The Norwegian authorities would have no right to "require you to hand in your British passport", at least not to them. British passports are the property of Her Majesty's Government.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 4:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kilty
The Norwegian authorities would have no right to "require you to hand in your British passport", at least not to them. British passports are the property of Her Majesty's Government.
But the Norwegians can (and probably will) demand that he renounce his British citizenship with the Home Office, and get a certificate confirming that, as a condition of granting Norwegian citizenship.

As part of the process, the British Embassy will request that any British passport held is returned for cancellation.

However, in this specific situation, the person asking the question may already be a Norwegian citizen. As is often the case, there is not enough information provided.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 3:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Gosh, this is all very useful information. Thanks for the postings. My son has lived in Norway for ten years, and has two Norwegian children (well, one officially, the other informally adopted). I have been nagging him about getting Norwegian Permanent Residence - and I may continue to do that - but there is no advantage in applying for Norwegian citizenship if he would have to surrender his UK citizenship. Oh dear, there goes his chance to become Prime Minister, I guess...
For Permanent Residence, he may already have it, but should apply for evidence of same:
http://www.udi.no/Norwegian-Director...of-residence-/