Reload this Page >

Advice For Moving To Denmark

Advice For Moving To Denmark

Old Sep 4th 2013, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Sarah Williamson is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Advice For Moving To Denmark

Hello all.

I was wondering if I could get some advice on a dilemma I and by fiancée have.

My fiancée is Danish and I am from Northern Ireland in the UK. We love each other very much and would love nothing more than to be with each other permanently in Denmark.

The dilemma is this: My fiancée is what is known in Denmark as a pre-time pensioner which means he gets money from the state each month on which to live. We did some research and while I can go to Denmark freely, and marry him legally there and live there legally afterwards, the issue we would have is that if I do that, his money he receives will be drastically reduced and we would not be able to live financially.

I do not want to go there and be a 'sponger', I want to live and contribute there properly. My fiancée said that at the moment, even low-qualification jobs are very scarce and it may be difficult for me to get a job there.

I thought about studying there, which is something I would dearly love to do. I would love to study about working with older people/pensioners in relation to health and social care. The issue I have is funding.

At the moment, I am unemployed. I was made redundant a while back and all my savings are now gone. Is there any sort of funding I could qualify to apply for, from anywhere (UK, Europe in general or Denmark) in order to help me do this? I would need funding for paying for any course fees and while I would be living with my fiancée in his home, I would still need some sort of living expenses too.

I want to contribute to Danish society properly and, one day, become a full Danish citizen.

Can anyone give me any advice please? I am so deeply desperate and I did not know where else to turn. Solicitors are out of reach for me.

Thank you for your time.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 10:35 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice For Moving To Denmark

Hi Sarah and welcome to BE!

I am no expert. But I believe what you are asking is going to be difficult, if not impossible.

I do know of Danish people who have had funding for study in foreign countries, but only for some sort of post graduate studies.

Also, how's your Danish?

I suspect you and your partner will have to make some choices. Good on you not wanting to sponge off the state. But without knowing your partners circumstances (so please do not be offended), is that not what he is doing? The most obvious solution is if he went back to work.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 8:12 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Hi Sarah and welcome to BE!

I am no expert. But I believe what you are asking is going to be difficult, if not impossible.

I do know of Danish people who have had funding for study in foreign countries, but only for some sort of post graduate studies.

Also, how's your Danish?

I suspect you and your partner will have to make some choices. Good on you not wanting to sponge off the state. But without knowing your partners circumstances (so please do not be offended), is that not what he is doing? The most obvious solution is if he went back to work.
Hi, butting in from the France forum, as your dilemma is applicable all over the EU.
Couldn't your fiancé come and live with you in Ulster? Like retired British expats coming to Continental Europe, surely a Danish citizen could transfer his "pre-time" pension to another EU country? Being Danish he speaks good English and will cope. You would still have to cope with your own present problems, but at least in your own country and language. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't...
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

DanishHopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Firstly, this site provides very helpful content and thank you ALL for giving such valuable information. Even though, I am not a britishExpat I would like to try my luck by requesting the below Query on Denmark
I lived in the UK for few years. At the moment I am planning to emigrate to Denmark. so for this reason I would like to request you to brief me on few aspects on Denmark.
1. Could you please brief how the jobs are in Denmark and I am flexible in working any kind of job provided I can save enough at the end of the day.
2. Also is it mandate to have Danish language skill for acquiring jobs.
3. I just want to lead a better life when compared to the current standards in my country. so any information with respect to jobs and earnings in Denmark will be helpful for me. I look forward for your reply.

With Regards,
Denmark-hopeful