Reload this Page >

Colombian moving to Norway

Colombian moving to Norway

Old Nov 7th 2016, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

mah88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Colombian moving to Norway

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend is 26 and Colombian and hoping to move to Norway with me to live and work. Can she move there first and then apply for a residence permit or does she need a job before she moves there? I'm not sure how the legalities of it are. She doesn't have another nationality either.

I'm a British national by the way.

Thanks!
Old Nov 8th 2016, 10:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Colombian moving to Norway

Have you lived together for at least two years? If so then utilising EEA freedom of movement rules would be the way to go.

https://www.udi.no/en/want-to-apply/...=col#link-1158
Old Nov 8th 2016, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Have you lived together for at least two years? If so then utilising EEA freedom of movement rules would be the way to go.

https://www.udi.no/en/want-to-apply/...=col#link-1158
Unfortunately no we haven't. I think she needs an employment to provide her a resident permit
Old Nov 8th 2016, 11:08 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mah88
Unfortunately no we haven't. I think she needs an employment to provide her a resident permit
Correct. Or you marry.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Correct. Or you marry.
Far too early for that. How are there so many foreign non-eu residents in Norway? They can't all be married to EU resident or have had employment invites? How do they do it?
Old Nov 9th 2016, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Sticky is an unknown quantity at this point

If my Norwegian Course was a representative sample; In many cases it's Norwegian men marrying foreigners, 'cos Norwegian women don't seem to want to

To be slightly more sensible, Since Columbia has a visa agreement with Norway then if your girlfriend has "a skill" and some funds in the bank then she can come to Norway to look for work:
https://www.udi.no/en/want-to-apply/...=col#link-6239
If not, then you would need to be engaged.
https://www.udi.no/en/want-to-apply/...=col#link-1148

Last edited by Sticky; Nov 9th 2016 at 1:21 pm. Reason: Added links to information
Old Nov 9th 2016, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by mah88
Far too early for that. How are there so many foreign non-eu residents in Norway? They can't all be married to EU resident or have had employment invites? How do they do it?
That's pretty much it other than asylum seekers. As Sticky says Colombians can visit Norway visa-free to look for work providing they meet the other conditions.