Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

British network in Uppsala/Stockholm

British network in Uppsala/Stockholm

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Swedish_guy_UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British network in Uppsala/Stockholm

Well, the story is that our family are planning a move back to Sweden after several years in the UK. Very mixed feelings about this but has to be done for work for both myself and my wife. My daughter is sort of bilingual but mostly Engish speaking and my son speaks both languages equally well. We've managed to find a bilingual school in Uppsala, which is a comfort.

However, I know what I love about the UK, and apart from winding country roads in Kent or the choice of beer, it's the people. I can't stand the Swedish way of pushing in queues, not waiting for people to exit the tube or not saying excuse me when trying to get past. That's going to be a problem. Also, Swedish people are smug but wonderfully naive, which is sort of just different sides of the coin.

That aside, I'd really like to know if there's a British community in Uppsala or Stockholm that I could connect to? It would be great not just for myself but also for my kids, who are in primary school, to not forget their beautiful way of life in the UK.

We'll be moving in 2 months if everything goes according to plan.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 9:42 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British network in Uppsala/Stockholm

Hi ya,

Just wondered how your move went?
Old Apr 7th 2014, 9:13 am
Just Joined

windsor_chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
This is a bit of a long shot as this thread is a year old- but you are describing our lives in a nutshell so thought I might as well reach out and see if you'r around.
My husband and I moved from London/Windsor to Uppsala (my home town) 6 months ago with a 2 year old daughter.
Both of us (but my hubby in particular) are missing the English lifestyle, especially pub lunches with friends and kids in tow.
Give us a shout if you're still on this site at all, perhaps we can exchange experiences so far...
Cheers
Old Apr 12th 2014, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Hi,
I didn't expect a snowball of a response to your post, but my experience of Sweden (I worked, studied and lived there for 43 years) is that with few exceptions I found the Swedes to be frosty, charmless, socially inept and emotionally constipated.
Blackie
Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

Mike1001 is on a distinguished road

Well Blackie paints his picture and I am sure it is honest according to his experience. I want to give you some of my thoughts and I will be equally honest.
I have been here a bit over a year. Living in Nyköping. This wont be our final destination as we want to explore the country.
1. Min Fru works here and apart from the usual nonsense associated with any professional work in any country she is enjoying things and gets a lot of support and has decent working conditions and hours.
2. Its difficult to get work here without the language. Get used to it. Give yourself 2 years to learn it then judge.
3. The people I have met are no more frosty or charmless then my countrymen. Ps I am Scottish. Maybe that says something. I dont know.
4. In any country unless its a British ex colony you have to adjust. You cannot make an English village or rugby club/pub atmosphere here. Its Sweden.
5. The birdlife, forests and lakes are quite simply fanastic.
6. I prefer open people to cynics. Although I admit I am a bit of a cynic. I will blame my nationality on that.
7. Roundabouts although they exist are not really observed. Ie they make their own rules on them. First on the roundabout has right of way and they enter at 50km and hour. Also indicating is optional. So a bit like e UK is becoming regarding bad manners when driving.
8. This country allows you time to reflect and take stock
9. Sweden has more than its fair share of good people
10. Cyclists are holy cows. They have the right of way independant of all and any circumstances whether you are driving or on foot or if you are cycling and they smell that you may not be Swedish!
11. I realise I live in a small town but apart from aggressive driving at roundabouts I have never heard or seen any foul language or witnessed loutish behaviour. People give other people space and the streets are clear of litter and DS.
12. The birdlife forests and lakes are quite simply fantastic. Oh I said already but worth mentioning again.
13. This country is great if you have small kids.
14. The TV is terrible as are the adverts but if you watch more than 4 hours TV a week you will be brainwashed and not able to make many clear decisions about anything so you should not be watching anyway.
15. Melodyfestivalen is wonderfully terrible.
16. The country is empty.Therefore plenty of opportunities to enjoy nature.
17. The Norwegians are worse than the Swedes to try and understand.
18. Its very difficult to do a business start up so watch out. Sweden has supermassive older traditional companies or the state. There is no inbetween.
19. Discipline in schools is non existent from what I have heard.
20. There are lots of lower middle class guys with centre partings, fawn cloured trousers and stripey shirts with the obligatory belly hanging over the waistline. So very much like any expat country or dare I say it London.
Apologies for hijacking the thread but I felt I had to balance things out a little, no matter how much I enjoy Blackies truthful experienced posts and reflections.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Well said Mike,
And I do agree with you wholeheartedly about the wildlife and the birding, it was that that kept me sane all those years!
Blackie
Old Apr 17th 2014, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Mike1001 is on a distinguished road

Too kind Blackie, I hope the champagne is to your liking. I do admit that I would be happy to be in the S of France. Oh for the Cote D'Azoure!
Old Jul 27th 2014, 7:23 am
Just Joined

AMIL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by windsor_chick
Hi,
This is a bit of a long shot as this thread is a year old- but you are describing our lives in a nutshell so thought I might as well reach out and see if you'r around.
My husband and I moved from London/Windsor to Uppsala (my home town) 6 months ago with a 2 year old daughter.
Both of us (but my hubby in particular) are missing the English lifestyle, especially pub lunches with friends and kids in tow.
Give us a shout if you're still on this site at all, perhaps we can exchange experiences so far...

Cheers

HELLO
WE R A COUPLE ME AND MY WIFE LIVING IN UPPSALA TOO , WE DONT HAVE KIDS , BUT WE LOVE TO HAVE CONTACT WITH UR FAMILY , IF UR INTRESTED PLS CALL <snip> , THNX ALOT

Last edited by Sue; Jul 27th 2014 at 1:33 pm. Reason: Telephone removed for privacy. This is a public forum best to share that kind of information privately.