British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   You've just won the Lotto (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/youve-just-won-lotto-878077/)

iggle May 28th 2016 6:44 am

You've just won the Lotto

So double question!

1) How much would you need to win in the Lotto to give up everything and retire

2) What would you do with your first winnings?

Serious Q.
3) If you play the lotto by direct debit and live outside of UK can you claim it...:huh:

1) How much would you need to win in the Lotto to give up everything and retire. I would think I would need £2million plus. Even then, I don't think thats enough. £5million I'd be comfortable for life

Buy my mum a house in Cornwall
So What about you?

PS Can we not turn this in to a conversation regarding its a "tax", or zero chance of winning etc.

mikelincs May 28th 2016 7:30 am

Re: You've just won the Lotto

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 11958258)
Serious Q.
3) If you play the lotto by direct debit and live outside of UK can you claim it...:huh:

No, the UK national Lottery is open to UK residents only, people from outside the UK have won in the past, and they have had their prizes cancelled.

Bahtatboy May 28th 2016 7:34 am

Half a mil.

Mumm Cordon Rouge and some manchego. (Best I can muster here.)

No -- read the rules: you've gotta live there to play. You could buy tickets or set up a standing order when you're in UK on leave (or do it online from abroad if you can find a VPN that gets past their security), but that'd be pointless because if you won and then they checked and discovered that you broke the rules, they wouldn't pay. And that wouldn't be a nice feeling. I suspect they're fairly serious about it since the living-in-UK rule is plainly stated, and their security blocks access from abroad.

I play via proxy, sometimes.

NorthernLad May 29th 2016 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11958269)
Half a mil.

Mumm Cordon Rouge and some manchego. (Best I can muster here.)

No -- read the rules: you've gotta live there to play. You could buy tickets or set up a standing order when you're in UK on leave (or do it online from abroad if you can find a VPN that gets past their security), but that'd be pointless because if you won and then they checked and discovered that you broke the rules, they wouldn't pay. And that wouldn't be a nice feeling. I suspect they're fairly serious about it since the living-in-UK rule is plainly stated, and their security blocks access from abroad.

I play via proxy, sometimes.

Anything over a million would suit me...3 million plus and I'd be straight out to buy a Huracan.

I assume you could give the ticket to family and they claim it...and then pray that you don't become a headline in The Sun if they screw you over?

iggle May 29th 2016 6:48 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 11958791)
Anything over a million would suit me...3 million plus and I'd be straight out to buy a Huracan.

I assume you could give the ticket to family and they claim it...and then pray that you don't become a headline in The Sun if they screw you over?

You wouldn't go public, you wouldn't tell any one you won.

NorthernLad May 29th 2016 6:57 am

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 11958807)

I was thinking more along these lines where the lottery creates family feuds..

’I gave family £20m... now we don’t speak’: £148m EuroMillions jackpot tore my family apart

al dente May 29th 2016 10:40 am

1.5 million would pay off our mortgages and buy my mum and brother their homes and set my mum up for retirement. Another 3 million would mean our own retirement and the kids private education, if we were careful.

10 million would mean a no brainer... instant resignation.

Meow May 29th 2016 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 11958807)

I have never understood why anyone would go public about a big lottery win. I can only imagine it's a weird form of showing off but it is frightfully crass.

I don't enter as I think it's little more than a voluntary tax on overly optimistic, probably greedy but mostly rather daft people. The odds are abysmal.

mikelincs May 29th 2016 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11959027)
I have never understood why anyone would go public about a big lottery win. I can only imagine it's a weird form of showing off but it is frightfully crass.

I don't enter as I think it's little more than a voluntary tax on overly optimistic, probably greedy but mostly rather daft people. The odds are abysmal.

The problem with that is that the tabloids will pay for people to tell them if a neighbour or someone they know win the jackpot, so it's very difficult NOT to be discovered

Boomhauer May 29th 2016 4:14 pm

10 mill

Donate half to charity.

Would buy homes in: Tahiti, Costa-Rica and French Polynesia . Take friends/family on beach vacations.

Would buy this Ford Raptor (costs about $650,000)
Stewart's Raceworks | Our Vehicles

Irishbeekeeper May 29th 2016 5:32 pm

Even if I do win the lottery which I highly doubt anyone with my luck would ever win, I dont think Ill ever truly retire. Ill probably buy a few houses to rent out etc and live in one of them but I wouldnt want to stop working untill my boys throw me out of the office one day :D

Bahtatboy May 29th 2016 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 11958791)

I manage my wife's account, so all legal.

I'm not sure I'd fully retire either, but I think all the holidays and golf would get in the way.

mission May 30th 2016 10:21 am

1) minimum 5 mill, and i'll retire instantly
2) pay off my mortgage and buy my folks and my bro a home each

Work Widow May 30th 2016 10:31 am

1) How much would you need to win in the Lotto to give up everything and retire

2 million would be extremely useful, pay out mortgages and kids student loans and some left over, probably not retire.

10 million would be fantastic and definitely give up working, would buy homes in different locations around the world but now the kids are off our hands we would travel, travel, travel very comfortably.

After getting up off the floor - Stick it to the bank, take family on month long holiday, buy nice property and travel. Have fun, the world is so big and life is short.

Meow May 30th 2016 10:36 am

I don't believe any of you. The first thing you'd do would be to celebrate by getting drunk on fancy fizz! :lol: