British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Yousef Islam....the artist formally known as... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/yousef-islam-artist-formally-known-631005/)

commander Sep 16th 2009 3:37 am

Yousef Islam....the artist formally known as...

Cat Stevens...:D

Anyone else listen to his morning Ramadan ditty on Radio 2

I cant help laughing every time i here this...

Kim67 Sep 16th 2009 5:51 am

Re: Yousef Islam....the artist formally known as...

My kids have been singing it ever since they went back to school - they've been showing it to them in every arabic lesson. This morning they were watching on youtube and the eldest daughter decides to look up some of his other stuff. I walked past and asked her why she was listening to Cat Stevens (she's got pretty weird taste in music for a kid of ten so it didn't surprise me). She said "I'm not, I'm listening to Yousef Islam, the old arabic guy who sings Ramadan Moon". I couldn't believe it was him I'd been listening to since they started playing it. I explained he wasn't arabic and he used to be Cat Steven's showed her some of his older stuff. I expect him to become one of her favorites like Bob Marley any day now.

Kim67 Sep 16th 2009 5:53 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdO4GPgualA

Norm_uk Sep 16th 2009 2:28 pm

I thought he was rubbish before he became a 6th century Arab...oppps, I mean Muslim. Cat was an appropriate name as he sung like one..

N.

deemi786 Sep 16th 2009 6:55 pm

I have to stick up for him, he's my cousin.

commander Sep 16th 2009 11:17 pm

He aint heavy...he's my brother...

Norm_uk Sep 17th 2009 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by deemi786 (Post 7936804)
I have to stick up for him, he's my cousin.

I'm sure he can defend himself againt cyber rants...I'm also sure he won't loose sleep wondering if Norm_uk is out there saying horrid things about him ;)

N.

commander Sep 17th 2009 4:37 pm

So deemi, what made Cat become a muslim?

deemi786 Sep 17th 2009 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7939764)
So deemi, what made Cat become a muslim?

only allah knows, i've only met him twice and both times were at weddings and my mum forced me to say hello to him.

rugbymatt Sep 17th 2009 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 7936087)
I thought he was rubbish before he became a 6th century Arab...oppps, I mean Muslim. Cat was an appropriate name as he sung like one..

N.

"Blessed is the man who, having nothing to stay, abstains from giving us worthy evidence of the fact."

MacScot Sep 17th 2009 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 7940267)
"Blessed is the man who, having nothing to stay, abstains from giving us worthy evidence of the fact."

Haha..are you stalking Norm_uk ? :sneaky::)

rugbymatt Sep 17th 2009 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7940278)
Haha..are you stalking Norm_uk ? :sneaky::)

I simply seek out ignorance....

I did however forget that you are on this bit.... damn! Bugger! Tell me, do you bore this lot with your overly sentimental Scottish nationalism as well?

MacScot Sep 17th 2009 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 7940280)
I simply seek out ignorance....

I did however forget that you are on this bit.... damn! Bugger! Tell me, do you bore this lot with your overly sentimental Scottish nationalism as well?

Of course not, they are more knowledgeable here. It's such a mixed bag of BEs in the Lounge and TIO ! I also do it to tease as well, but it is educational for quite a few people as I get lots of karma !! :)

Anyway I don't bring it up all the time - only when some BE says something that irritates me, such as not knowing the difference between Britain and England. :rolleyes:

rugbymatt Sep 17th 2009 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7940332)
Of course not, they are more knowledgeable here. It's such a mixed bag of BEs in the Lounge and TIO ! I also do it to tease as well, but it is educational for quite a few people as I get lots of karma !! :)

Anyway I don't bring it up all the time - only when some BE says something that irritates me, such as not knowing the difference between Britain and England. :rolleyes:

To be pedantic we are all Britains..... so to speak....

MacScot Sep 17th 2009 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 7940350)
To be pedantic we are all Britains..... so to speak....

Absolutely no problem with that. I'm an Aussie...you're still poms ! :rofl: