British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   "You're a BE member?? You're under arrest....." (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/youre-member-youre-under-arrest-753132/)

The Dean Mar 29th 2012 9:29 am

"You're a BE member?? You're under arrest....."

:huh:

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...03-28-1.450974

Bahtatboy Mar 29th 2012 9:36 am

Re: "You're a BE member?? You're under arrest....."

What a chaotic article, veering from one subject to another, and with alarming false logic. I think I'll tweet about it...

The Dean Mar 29th 2012 9:40 am

Don't you dare!!!

lullabelle Mar 29th 2012 9:58 am

it can be serious-ish.

When i lived in Abu Dhabi i was a member of a women's forum there. there were a couple of incidents which were pretty unsettling.

One where a woman did the whole medieval religion thing and was threatened publicly, with private messages and had her internet connection suspended for several days - she couldn't work out if it was a coincidence or not.

Another was when - and I cant remember the reason why - an american married to an emirati took offence at something someone else said and also threatened with retaliation, doing the whole "i have power and influence and can track you down and get you thrown into prison." It was a classic case of toy throwing but you never know how much of it is true and people can be very vindictive.

I used to be on twitter and discovered that dubai police were following me. I must have bored them to tears.

Boomhauer Mar 29th 2012 1:23 pm

Lieutenant General Dahi Khalfan Tamim, commander-in-chief of Dubai Police, said social networking was invented to create social ties but unfortunately it has been politicised and is now being used to abuse symbols of the state.

He said: “We will not allow them to tamper with our security. We have been silent for many years but will no longer stay quiet. We will not allow them to portray our police, judiciary, government and national assembly as corrupt.”
Translation;
we see how social networking unwound Arab autocrats in North Africa and social networks can make a difference in the push for reforms and respect for human rights. So we must clamp down hard now before people lose their fear of the state.

kittycat1 Mar 29th 2012 2:02 pm

I've got a story about this but can't share it on here :huh:

Autonomy Mar 29th 2012 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9978683)
I've got a story about this but can't share it on here :huh:

PM please then... very interested....

OriginalSunshine Mar 30th 2012 5:35 am

ditto

The Dean Mar 31st 2012 4:33 am

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 9979759)
ditto

That's right........ they monitor this site but don't know hack to hack into PMs....

kittycat1 Mar 31st 2012 5:44 am

lets just say be careful what you post on facebook here- it can end in a few days in prison

The Dean Mar 31st 2012 5:46 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9981523)
lets just say be careful what you post on facebook here- it can end in a few days in prison

Not a Facebook user, nor will I ever be. Thinking about getting a Twitter account for work-related purposes though.

kittycat1 Mar 31st 2012 5:51 am

deano you can link twitter up to your linked in account and it updates twitter automatically- twitter/linked in are work orientated for me- facebook is personal with a bit of casual work networking- so people I work with but would also go for a drink with- twitter/linked are my professional head who i dont want to see pictures of me worse for wear!

OriginalSunshine Mar 31st 2012 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9981523)

oh that. yes, I read about that. silly woman. always assume that FB can be hacked.

The Dean: gosh, I'm naive. You're right. Arse. For some reason I thought that because mods and site owners can't see PMs then neither could the sneakers. Guess that makes all those veepee*s recommendations invalid then as well, if they go via PM? :unsure:

Paracletus Apr 2nd 2012 12:49 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...b-7606788.html

People get arrested and fined for posting shit on twitter in the UK too already.

I wish people would realize that being insulted is not a big deal.