British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Your Perfect Breakfast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/your-perfect-breakfast-910676/)

IKnowNothing Mar 21st 2018 9:40 am

Your Perfect Breakfast

I follow both The Fry Up Inspector and The Fry Up Police (why aren't you all surprised).

So me and an ex member (no longer in AMS) got talking, and for me, a perfect breakfast is Back bacon, Lincolnshire sausage, black pudding, a few mushrooms, couple of poached eggs on toast and, weirdly, some wilted spinach.

Having said that, this morning I had 2 day old Pork Bolognese with some toast to dip in.

Yeah, I know it's different each day, but what is yours?

DXBtoDOH Mar 21st 2018 9:51 am

Re: Your Perfect Breakfast

Greek yoghurt with sliced fruit and berries and a sprinkling of crumbled oatcakes or granola.

Or a good cappuccino with a chocolate croissant.

TheShed Mar 21st 2018 9:56 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12466974)
I follow both The Fry Up Inspector and The Fry Up Police (why aren't you all surprised).

So me and an ex member (no longer in AMS) got talking, and for me, a perfect breakfast is Back bacon, Lincolnshire sausage, black pudding, a few mushrooms, couple of poached eggs on toast and, weirdly, some wilted spinach.

Having said that, this morning I had 2 day old Pork Bolognese with some toast to dip in.

Yeah, I know it's different each day, but what is yours?

As above but delete the spinach and add a grilled tomato.

jam25mack Mar 21st 2018 9:58 am

A fry up indeed, however, these are once in while events.

If cooking my own I like to fry red onions in balsamic..... they go awesomely well with sausage and bacon.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 21st 2018 10:18 am

A fry up, obviously. Back bacon, sausages (just not cheap ones but not too fancy either), one fried or poached egg, toast, beans, black pudding, white pudding (if available). Lots of brown sauce.

Always tea with a fry up.

Failing that, I love poached eggs on toasted English muffins with some hollandaise.

littlejimmy Mar 21st 2018 10:43 am

I like a good English (like I had this morning in sunny Yorkshire) but when over the wall, I do love a Scottish, which is the usual bacon, egg, sausage, black pudding, beans, plus haggis, tattie scone and square or Lorne sausage. You don't need to eat again that day! Och aye!

Healthy option: scrambled egg with smoked salmon on brown toast.

IKnowNothing Mar 21st 2018 10:46 am

Weirdly here, I enjoy Eggs Benedict - with a side of wilted spinach - Shakespeare's is decent.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 21st 2018 10:54 am

Shit. I forgot hash browns, gotta have hash browns.

IKnowNothing Mar 21st 2018 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12467018)
Shit. I forgot hash browns, gotta have hash browns.

But all you get is that frozen crap, now, get a decent place that makes their own, then that's spot on. Or Bubble and squeak maybe?

weasel decentral Mar 21st 2018 11:09 am

Proper fry up essentials:

Sausages, bacon, black and white pudding, mushrooms, fried tomatoes, beans, two eggs, a few slices of toast and a mug of coffee.

Fried potato, hash browns or even a potato waffle could also be considered. :thumbup:

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 21st 2018 11:14 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12467022)
But all you get is that frozen crap, now, get a decent place that makes their own, then that's spot on. Or Bubble and squeak maybe?

Frozen ones are not great I agree, but.....they can be if they're deep fried.

IKnowNothing Mar 21st 2018 11:17 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12467027)
Proper fry up essentials:

Sausages, bacon, black and white pudding, mushrooms, fried tomatoes, beans, two eggs, a few slices of toast and a mug of coffee.

Fried potato, hash browns or even a potato waffle could also be considered. :thumbup:

Can't agree with beans, fried tomatoes, yes, if they have loads of taste and aren't hard or mushy but, dare I say it "al dente".

hnd Mar 21st 2018 11:22 am

A fry up isn’t a proper fry up without fried bread. Doesn’t anyone eat fried bread these days? You know, the proper stuff fried in the fat that comes out of proper bacon?

littlejimmy Mar 21st 2018 12:19 pm

Oh yeah, fried bread. Do love a bit of it. Used to also love a "greasy piece" which was dipping bread in the fat in the grill pan or frying pan after cooking.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 21st 2018 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 12467041)
A fry up isn’t a proper fry up without fried bread. Doesn’t anyone eat fried bread these days? You know, the proper stuff fried in the fat that comes out of proper bacon?

My mrs does but I don't. Not that fussed by it, prefer toast.