Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Your Most Dangerous UAE Road?

Your Most Dangerous UAE Road?

Old Feb 24th 2018, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Your Most Dangerous UAE Road?

For me it's the 611 either side of the Sharjah Dubai border, coming into Dubai the line of trucks on the inside lane can be 20km and more long, the odd car or pick up pulls into the middle lane doing 30kph and wonders why you go ballistic, yes you try to stay on the outside cos of the inerrant danger but there's always a few numskulls flashing you.

Same for the Northbound except it's wider and people drive even more stupidly (if that is possible).

Yours?
Old Feb 24th 2018, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your Most Dangerous UAE Road?

All of them?

I've been literally run off the road by extremely reckless drivers right in the Abu Dhabi CBD.

I had one driver overtake me in a shopping mall's carpark garage and then, enraged at my cautious driving, leap out of his car and challenge me to a fight (I stayed in my car and it was only defused when the maniac belatedly realised there were so many other people around staring at him with their mouths open).

I guess, if you forced an answer, any of the highways on a Thursday night would be what I consider the most dangerous.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 3:34 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! try the Dubai / Abudhabi route at night on a weekend...more idiots there than the bible belt put together!
Old Feb 24th 2018, 6:07 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

SZR around Defence Roundabout ... sorry, Junction 2 ... in either direction at any time during the rush hour(s). The only lane anyone wants to be in is the one which is moving the fastest so if that means the outside lane then that’s where they’ll be until they suddenly realise that they need the next exit just a couple of hundred km ahead. And then they get into the wrong exit lane and have to make erratic lane changes thereafter, too.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

E44 where it splits for Dubai Mall / Ras Al Khor . Every single day there are the same people who forget which lane is going where.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 3:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
For me it's the 611 either side of the Sharjah Dubai border, coming into Dubai the line of trucks on the inside lane can be 20km and more long, the odd car or pick up pulls into the middle lane doing 30kph and wonders why you go ballistic, yes you try to stay on the outside cos of the inerrant danger but there's always a few numskulls flashing you.

Same for the Northbound except it's wider and people drive even more stupidly (if that is possible).

Yours?
Great shout, I assume you did a Barracuda run? I was staggered at the chaos along there caused by the trucks.

I'd also give a shout out to the 311. It never, ever, ever feels particularly safe to me, especially when around the Mirdif City Centre area.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 4:22 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, all of them. I especially hate those stupid junctions off the SZR with two parallel lanes which force people to switch lanes with each other...not very safe when everyone drives like complete twat.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice

I ended up on a truck road close to RAK on way back from Fujairah. 2 lane road with slow moving trucks for miles in both direction, staying as far left as they can to create an unofficial third lane in the middle for cars going in both directions. Not sure if the surface was supposed to be loose gravel or if it was just falling to bits.

Effectively playing chicken with dozens of heavily tinted, old Lexus saloons with sidelights on.

Absolutely terrifying.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Why are there so many old Lexus sedans around?

You rarely find Lexus Saloons from early 2010's

They all seem to be from the 2002-2008 period, and they are all sedans and never an SUV?
Old Feb 25th 2018, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maxima
Why are there so many old Lexus sedans around?

You rarely find Lexus Saloons from early 2010's

They all seem to be from the 2002-2008 period, and they are all sedans and never an SUV?
That particular generation had a high powered Lexus that drove extremely fast and smoothly and was comfortable enough. It became very popular with a certain subset of the local and Omani population especially if they drove long distances regularly (many locals working in Abu Dhabi are originally from RAK so they'd drive back every weekend). So I suspect it developed a cult following, similar to the old Patrols.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 6:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
That particular generation had a high powered Lexus that drove extremely fast and smoothly and was comfortable enough. It became very popular with a certain subset of the local and Omani population especially if they drove long distances regularly (many locals working in Abu Dhabi are originally from RAK so they'd drive back every weekend). So I suspect it developed a cult following, similar to the old Patrols.
I could see you in an old Lexus.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I could see you in an old Lexus.
You're temporarily confusing me with Miss Anne.

I'm of the small and fast car variety. So much that I can't let myself have one if I want to live to be 100.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 6:43 am
Account Closed

I'm of the small and fast car variety. So much that I can't let myself have one if I want to live to be 100.
No no, I think you'd suit a Lexus. The whiff of that freemasonry type old school and Alan Partridge. It's the perfect combination. Small and fast is too exciting and extravagant, you think you want and suit that but really, it's a sensible Lexus that fits...or the "Japanese Mercedes".
Old Feb 25th 2018, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Get the fast Lexus then
Old Feb 25th 2018, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
No no, I think you'd suit a Lexus. The whiff of that freemasonry type old school and Alan Partridge. It's the perfect combination. Small and fast is too exciting and extravagant, you think you want and suit that but really, it's a sensible Lexus that fits...or the "Japanese Mercedes".
What about a Volvo Xc60? If you're going to stereotype me that's the car I should be driving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.