Your first car

Old Oct 24th 2012, 7:33 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your first car

First car was this baby, it was about 15 years old I think when I got it. complete with gear stick on the dash to be changed like you are playing a trombone.

after that I had a mix of good and shonkers including:
ford mercury grand marquee (titantic on wheels)
audi 100 5 cyclinder (luxury barge)
audi 80 quattro (grip, grip, grip, yeeeeeerrrrraaaaahhh no grip)
holden torana (knew every mechanic on a first name basis)
mercedes 280E (car of african warlords or taxi drivers)
mitsubishi pajero diesel (yawn)
scooby doo forester 2.5 sti (my all time favourite)
various landcruisers (work)
various tahoes (work)
mondeo (boring but reliable from work when they didn't like me)

and this baby not exactly a car but worth a mention.

Over 50hp at the wheel, and weighing around 100kg would be equivalent to my shitbox mondeo having 750hp. If you could keep it straight and pointed downwards you were a pro.

Last edited by weasel decentral; Oct 24th 2012 at 7:35 am.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
First car was this baby, it was about 15 years old I think when I got it. complete with gear stick on the dash to be changed like you are playing a trombone.
http://i.imgur.com/G7beK.jpg
Mrs Millhouse borrowed one of these from work when we moved house once. She fell in love with it and refused to give it back. It took a month and several threats before she handed it over.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 7:45 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Mrs Millhouse borrowed one of these from work when we moved house once. She fell in love with it and refused to give it back. It took a month and several threats before she handed it over.
they had a strange charm alright. I don't think mine had a radio or a heater, plus the windows used to slide not wind down? or maybe that's a different one.

60mph was your lot regardless of an empty van or carrying 2 tonnes of cement.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 7:45 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly correct- if the shit hit the fan we could pay off all the loans, but I really don't see the point right now.

As for the FJ - I only really got into off-roading in the last year or so - (use to do it occasionally in the Pajero) which is why I bought the Patrol (couldn't afford an FJ at the time). I like the Patrol but since I wrote off the Pajero I'm stuck with it as a day car and it isn't ideal.

I'm just tempted by the two new car trick I've realized I can do. We shall see... I'm just dreaming right now.
I'm tempted to either get new wheels for my Touareg (currently has 20" low profile) or replace my TT with something desert suitable.

I've taken the Touareg into the desert and it is absolutely capable of the kind of stuff I want to be able to do as it stands, but it would be hugely better with some normal profile tyres. However I also have this little niggle that I shouldn't take the Touareg into the desert as it could break and cost a lot to fix, but to be honest it is 5 years old and only worth about 65K so what I am worried about.

I own it outright though so if it died I would lose part of my equity (crucial to the mentioned equity/debt balance as mentioned before). The logical thing to do is to sell the TT and buy something like an FJ or Wrangler...We'll see I guess. I won't do anything until next year regardless..
Old Oct 24th 2012, 8:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

There is a good reason though...The loan is paid off on the 'tuna in April. If I sell that and the patrol, I can raise enough for an FJ. The wife then gets a new Pathy via a loan. So, two new(ish) cars on the drive of villa de Millhouse without me really putting any money down.

And for the "don't get a car loan crowd" - I don't want to leave any equity in this country so a loan is perfectly sensible in my mind.
I've got a car loan. It's not the end of the world. Could still flog it for more than the loan has outstanding....ain't no biggie.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
I'm tempted to either get new wheels for my Touareg (currently has 20" low profile) or replace my TT with something desert suitable.

I've taken the Touareg into the desert and it is absolutely capable of the kind of stuff I want to be able to do as it stands, but it would be hugely better with some normal profile tyres. However I also have this little niggle that I shouldn't take the Touareg into the desert as it could break and cost a lot to fix, but to be honest it is 5 years old and only worth about 65K so what I am worried about.

I own it outright though so if it died I would lose part of my equity (crucial to the mentioned equity/debt balance as mentioned before). The logical thing to do is to sell the TT and buy something like an FJ or Wrangler...We'll see I guess. I won't do anything until next year regardless..
The new wrangler is nice... ! I'm all for cheaper cars for the desert. I'd hate to take a Touareg there - it's just too complex.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 8:10 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

The new wrangler is nice... ! I'm all for cheaper cars for the desert. I'd hate to take a Touareg there - it's just too complex.
The new wrangler is very nice, but it cost over 100K so kind of defeats the purpose of not taking an expensive car to the desert. I'd be much more comfortable buying a 10 year old wrangler for around 25-30K..
Old Oct 24th 2012, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

How can you tell it's a 'new' Wrangler? Looks like any other Wrangler imo

but they are cool. A bright orange safari version with bright orange hard top caught my eye in the Jeep showroom on the Corniche t'other day
Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Not a car enthusiast? If you've owned a Range Rover (round headlight model, that is. not imposters..) you can't be all bad!
Well my boss at the time sold me the RR for 25K with 60K on the clock. It was a Eu import so had to upgrade the radiator! It was crap really but engine never opened and sold it for 8K with 250K on the clock. Put it down as an experience I could only afford in Dubai!
Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by britexpat76
The Range Rover certainly stands out amongst the Honda's and you never returned. Did you get a lemon?
Well in those days Range Rover components were rubbish. Had at least two new rear doors. Rebuilt gear box, Universal joints, track rod ends, Alternator, starter motor, usual clutch/brake master cylinders. Even windscreen washer water bottle lids rusted like hell until put plastic cap in from fax roll and never had the problem again.
Twice points failed (not tightened) driving home from 2nd level garage.

Honda's ..................wonderfully reliable!
Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:57 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
Well in those days Range Rover components were rubbish. Had at least two new rear doors. Rebuilt gear box, Universal joints, track rod ends, Alternator, starter motor, usual clutch/brake master cylinders. Even windscreen washer water bottle lids rusted like hell until put plastic cap in from fax roll and never had the problem again.
Twice points failed (not tightened) driving home from 2nd level garage.

Honda's ..................wonderfully reliable!
I can safely say Range Rovers have not changed much. My friends just had to change the brake discs on a brand new car after 2500 KM's...........
Old Oct 24th 2012, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I can safely say Range Rovers have not changed much. My friends just had to change the brake discs on a brand new car after 2500 KM's...........
On one of my old Range Rovers, the rotor arm snapped, another wouldn't start because there was a crack in the distributor cap, another jammed it's rubbishy Chrysler auto box in second gear permenently, but like a masochist I kept buying them, because when they work, well, they are great ego boosters! Being an egotist, I remember saying to someone with a new Discovery 'Well, it may be new, but it's only a Discovery, but my 1973 Rangey will always be a Rangey.' Quite sensibly, in my opinion, he decked me....
Old Oct 24th 2012, 2:39 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
On one of my old Range Rovers, the rotor arm snapped, another wouldn't start because there was a crack in the distributor cap, another jammed it's rubbishy Chrysler auto box in second gear permenently, but like a masochist I kept buying them, because when they work, well, they are great ego boosters! Being an egotist, I remember saying to someone with a new Discovery 'Well, it may be new, but it's only a Discovery, but my 1973 Rangey will always be a Rangey.' Quite sensibly, in my opinion, he decked me....