British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Your Eco Footprint (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/your-eco-footprint-589130/)

shiva Feb 4th 2009 7:35 am

Your Eco Footprint

got thinking about how buggered we are here environmentally. Most of our drinking water is bottled, normal is desalinated, we use shit loads of electricity in summer, have to fly to go anywhere, have to drive as public transport isnt an option 99% of the time etc etc.

so decided to do a footprint calculator............Ouch
i scored 5.26 planets (its the travel that screws my score) which isnt too bad as apparently the UAE average in 9.00 planets, hate to think what some of the locals rack up as a score.
Although I suspect that the real figure is higher as a lot of our food has to be flown in eg not much local pork production and our water useage for gardens etc isnt even measured on this calculator

Whats your footprint?

go here when it asks about heating just answer as if it was for air con
http://independent.footprint.wwf.org.uk/

Grace O Malley Feb 4th 2009 8:08 am

Re: Your Eco Footprint

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7246643)
got thinking about how buggered we are here environmentally. Most of our drinking water is bottled, normal is desalinated, we use shit loads of electricity in summer, have to fly to go anywhere, have to drive as public transport isnt an option 99% of the time etc etc.

i scored 5.26 planets (its the travel that screws my score) which isnt too bad as apparently the UAE average in 9.00 planets, hate to think what some of the locals rack up as a score.
Although I suspect that the real figure is higher as a lot of our food has to be flown in eg not much local pork production and our water useage for gardens etc isnt even measured on this calculator

Whats your footprint?

hawkhead Feb 4th 2009 8:11 am

I believe the UAE has the biggest carbon footprint of any country in the world.:thumbdown:
I suppose it's not surprising when a metropolis is built in such an inhospitable environment (in summer) but there's also such a huge lack of awareness of environmental issues here - just look at the way the locals trash their own(beloved) country - anyone been to Hatta recently? Could be an amazing beauty spot but it's just disgusting.

littlejimmy Feb 4th 2009 8:45 am

I was always amazed at the profligacy of water usage there. The grass is constantly watered, there are fountains in every roundabout and then there's this obsession with hosing down car ports and driveways every day to get rid of the sand. Madness!

As for electricity, I still haven't heard a good reason why they don't use solar power. Anyone know?

admon Feb 4th 2009 8:46 am

I'm a ***** anyway..

Eva Feb 4th 2009 8:51 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 7246823)
I was always amazed at the profligacy of water usage there. The grass is constantly watered, there are fountains in every roundabout and then there's this obsession with hosing down car ports and driveways every day to get rid of the sand. Madness!

As for electricity, I still haven't heard a good reason why they don't use solar power. Anyone know?

Someone told me it was to do with the sand blowing about.....
They coulda told me anything though as I don't know one end of
a lightbulb from the other..........

Nic1 Feb 4th 2009 10:03 am

5.09 - must try harder.

N

Charismatic Feb 4th 2009 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Nic1 (Post 7247024)
5.09 - must try harder.

N

5.09, must go on holiday overseas more often to rack up some air miles :D.

MAV_DXB Feb 4th 2009 11:49 am

5.28 for me!

Nic1 Feb 4th 2009 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 7247098)
5.09, must go on holiday overseas more often to rack up some air miles :D.

I got a bit confused with the airmile hours as ME isn't in Europe but we do fly Europe at times - so are they European airmiles, or non-European airmiles ? A better quesiton would be how many air hours have you done ? But perhaps that's a bit pedantic ?

But I agree - need to fly more, just lost gold status with EK to silver - boo hoo.

N

W10 Feb 4th 2009 2:38 pm

3.59 planets, which is surprising considering the amount I fly.

But I guess I make it back with the other positive things I do.

W10 Feb 4th 2009 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Nic1 (Post 7247543)
I got a bit confused with the airmile hours as ME isn't in Europe but we do fly Europe at times - so are they European airmiles, or non-European airmiles ? A better quesiton would be how many air hours have you done ? But perhaps that's a bit pedantic ?

But I agree - need to fly more, just lost gold status with EK to silver - boo hoo.

N

I answered both :-)

I flew five hours within Europe last year, and over 35 hours out of Europe :)

Madam Medusa Feb 4th 2009 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7246643)

Whats your footprint?

mine was 4.44...

so, what can we do to offset it...? i don't know but should find out i guess...

MM, xx

Jeeper Feb 4th 2009 3:32 pm

I go home once a year and that makes me need around 2.5 plants right there.

But get fe.cked if i'm walking!!!:blink:

Confucius Feb 4th 2009 3:39 pm

3.24, baby...