British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Your Dubai Favourites (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/your-dubai-favourites-766567/)

Bahtatboy Jul 29th 2012 8:51 am

Your Dubai Favourites

Bahtatgirl and our two late-teenage sons will be out for 10 days or so (yep, during Ramadan)...would be pleased to hear your recommendations for eateries and things to do. :D

co durham boy Jul 29th 2012 9:01 am

Re: Your Dubai Favourites

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10199166)
Bahtatgirl and our two late-teenage sons will be out for 10 days or so (yep, during Ramadan)...would be pleased to hear your recommendations for eateries and things to do. :D

Ski Dubai , Wild Wadi , Burj Khalifa @ The Top / Fountains and i'd go Blue Elephant , Jaimie Oliver and maybe Rivignton Grill .

Throw in the shopping and job done .

rowell Jul 29th 2012 9:34 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10199176)
Ski Dubai , Wild Wadi , Burj Khalifa @ The Top / Fountains and i'd go Blue Elephant , Jaimie Oliver and maybe Rivignton Grill .

Throw in the shopping and job done .

another couple could be the Sky diving at Mirdif mall, climbing wall at Mirdif Mall and also Times Square

Meow Jul 29th 2012 9:41 am

If they haven't done it before, Big Bus Tour. Also:

Madinat - nice for visitors to wander around
Wander around Karama in the evening to see a non-shiny side of Dubai and eat at a cheap cafe
Dinner in Souk al Bahar so you can pop out onto terrace and see fountains
Mirdif Mall has that 'flying' experience, the vertical wind tunnel thing (Brain not working well today)
Lebanese restaurants - Reem al Bawadi on Beach Road is buzzing during Ramadan

If it was cooler I'd suggest other outdoor/active things, but I think they'll melt. Are they particularly active, do they like the arts? What do they like to do? Plenty of art galleries have exhibitions on.

I wouldn't bother with Jamie Oliver here. Much cheaper in the UK and better.

Millhouse Jul 29th 2012 10:47 am

A night time activity that isn't as atrocious as you may think is the Bateaux Dubai Dinner Cruise. Vouchers in the Entertainer. DO NOT GO ON ANY OF THE OTHER CRUISES. (which I have, they are cheap, dry and awful food)

It's a bit expensive, and they are a bit slow on serving the drinks. That said, I still managed to get 4.5 pints in before the starters much to dis-amusement of Mrs Millhouse. But hey, I was with her friends so what did she expect. The steak was very nice - although by the time it came I could have eaten a kebab.

Check Jebel Ali hotel to see if they are running their friday BBQ brunch (maybe too hot/ Ramadan killed). I've never done it, but it's my favourite hotel full of 1970s charm.

Also while you are there... what about the 45min sea-plane ride (seawings). Again, I think you can get vouchers for that.

I always put a trip to Musandam on the list to see the Dolphins - start from the Oman side, don't start in Dibba with our commonwealth brothers on cobone deals.

Autonomy Jul 29th 2012 10:52 am

late teenage... You can do it anywhere in the world - but I really enjoyed the go karting out at the Autodrome. There is an indoor track and the karts are fast enough. And I think (yes) there are vouchers for that too...

Millhouse Jul 29th 2012 11:01 am

More just came to me.

for (I think) 400dh you can hire an RTA water boat for an hour and do a run out to the palm/ world islands - starts in the Marina and/or Festival city. They are the cool looking speedboat things... that has to be worth looking into. You just call the RTA and book it.

Or... Captain Jack, not too touristy and a nice 1hour boat ride through the Marina and then JBR at sea and back. Check the times - I'm sure it started at 5pm last year during ramadan. (Vouchers in the Entertainer). With the vouchers cheap as chips. Pretty girl on reception too.

Or... 4+ hour catamaran ran by (I think) Bristol Charter. We did it at night and it was fantastic, BBQ, barty music, sheesha. I'm fairly certain we used entertainer vouchers for that.

Or... Deep sea fishing - I did that a while back, can't remember the cost though - 'expensive' springs to mind but I'm sure there are vouchers for it. I caught lots of Sherri.

...as you can tell, I normally take people out on a boat (or into the desert in the batrol).

EDIT -I checked the book, vouchers for all of this (but not the RTA) are in the 2012 book

Millhouse Jul 29th 2012 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10199342)
late teenage... You can do it anywhere in the world - but I really enjoyed the go karting out at the Autodrome. There is an indoor track and the karts are fast enough. And I think (yes) there are vouchers for that too...

Yes, there are vouchers for it in the 2012 book.

I've not done that yet. It's on the list as soon as Mini's balls are big enough.

Also what about the clay pigeon shooting at Jebal Ali - they would like that.

co durham boy Jul 29th 2012 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10199355)
Yes, there are vouchers for it in the 2012 book.

I've not done that yet. It's on the list as soon as Mini's balls are big enough.

Also what about the clay pigeon shooting at Jebal Ali - they would like that.

They'd also like the Dark & Mysterious tour starting @ 8pm at The York Hotel

mentalist Jul 29th 2012 12:29 pm

The Adventure Centre at Times square is cheap and cheerful. Also the Jam Jar studio/workshop for those of an artistic bent.

Kix Jul 29th 2012 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10199397)

You can set your watch by them in Jockeys, always 8.30pm.

Bahtatboy Jul 29th 2012 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10199397)

Vouchers available?

Millhouse Jul 29th 2012 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10199475)
Vouchers available?

Not in the Entertainer Family edition - there is an 'Entertainer Body' edition so there is hope.

miuser2 Jul 29th 2012 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10199337)
I always put a trip to Musandam on the list to see the Dolphins - start from the Oman side, don't start in Dibba with our commonwealth brothers on cobone deals.

Any suggestions for where to go on the Omani side?

Kix Jul 29th 2012 2:51 pm

Golden Tulip hotel, if you want you should go up to Rhowda Bowl in Wadi Khasab, but not if you're worried about driving, it's a narrow mountain pass road.