Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Young woman seeking HELP with general Abu Dhabian info

Young woman seeking HELP with general Abu Dhabian info

Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young woman seeking HELP with general Abu Dhabian info

hey fellow Brighton person

lookup 'train yas' on internet

free running and cycling around the F1 track every Tuesday night.

there's also groups doing boot camp stuff - you may need to pay for that.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:34 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Short are for beaches, gyms, your garden really, unless they are pretty much knee length. No need to deliberately offend anyone when out and about. Skimpy attire shouldn't be worn out day to day, unless going directly a suitable bar/club.

Wome can do pretty much anything they like in the UAE. No draconian restrictions like in KSA but it's wise to be sensible and not draw attention to yourself. Unmarried couple are wise to refer to each other as husband and wife and a cheap ring will complete the story and stop some unwanted attention too.

Stand alone bars - The Stables and Fibbers in Dubai, as well as Jebel Ali club.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:07 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd
The Indian Ocean is bloody massive and not difficult to find but it's also a bloody long way from Abu Dhabi.
That's bleeding O Level geography. All seas (except land-locked ones) are part of oceans. The Arabian Sea is part of the Indian Ocean.

The Arabian Sea is a region of the Indian Ocean bounded on on the north by Pakistan and Iran, on the south by northeastern Somalia, on the east by India and on the west by the Arabian Peninsula. Some of the ancient names of this body of water include Sindhu Sagar (meaning "Sea of Sindh" in Sanskrit)[1] and Erythraean Sea.

The Indian Ocean is the third largest of the world's oceanic divisions, covering approximately 20% of the water on the Earth's surface. It is bounded by Asia – including India, after which the ocean is named – on the north; on the west by Africa; on the east by Australia; and on the south by the Southern Ocean (or, depending on definition, by Antarctica).

Bordering countries and territoriesHeading roughly clockwise, the states and territories with a coastline on the Indian Ocean are:

Africa: South Africa, Mozambique, Madagascar, French Southern and Antarctic Lands, France (Réunion, Mayotte), Mauritius, Comoros, Tanzania, Seychelles, Kenya, Somalia, Djibouti, Eritrea, Sudan, Egypt

Asia: Egypt (Sinai Peninsula), Israel, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, India, Maldives, British Indian Ocean Territory, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Burma (Myanmar), Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Christmas Island

Australasia: Ashmore and Cartier Islands, Indonesia, Timor-Leste, Australia

Southern Indian Ocean Heard Island and McDonald Islands, French Southern and Antarctic Lands

Alex, you'll get used to this. Your innocent questions are quite likely to erupt at various junctures into heated debates about points of absolute irrelevance.

Welcome
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
That's bleeding O Level geography.
You're old. As you know I did GSCEs, so basically spent my time colouring in maps.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:51 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

That's bleeding O Level geography. All seas (except land-locked ones) are part of oceans. The Arabian Sea is part of the Indian Ocean.

The Arabian Sea is a region of the Indian Ocean bounded on on the north by Pakistan and Iran, on the south by northeastern Somalia, on the east by India and on the west by the Arabian Peninsula. Some of the ancient names of this body of water include Sindhu Sagar (meaning "Sea of Sindh" in Sanskrit)[1] and Erythraean Sea.

The Indian Ocean is the third largest of the world's oceanic divisions, covering approximately 20% of the water on the Earth's surface. It is bounded by Asia – including India, after which the ocean is named – on the north; on the west by Africa; on the east by Australia; and on the south by the Southern Ocean (or, depending on definition, by Antarctica).

Bordering countries and territoriesHeading roughly clockwise, the states and territories with a coastline on the Indian Ocean are:

Africa: South Africa, Mozambique, Madagascar, French Southern and Antarctic Lands, France (Réunion, Mayotte), Mauritius, Comoros, Tanzania, Seychelles, Kenya, Somalia, Djibouti, Eritrea, Sudan, Egypt

Asia: Egypt (Sinai Peninsula), Israel, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, India, Maldives, British Indian Ocean Territory, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Burma (Myanmar), Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Christmas Island

Australasia: Ashmore and Cartier Islands, Indonesia, Timor-Leste, Australia

Southern Indian Ocean Heard Island and McDonald Islands, French Southern and Antarctic Lands

Alex, you'll get used to this. Your innocent questions are quite likely to erupt at various junctures into heated debates about points of absolute irrelevance.

Welcome
Since we seem to be indulging in good old fashioned pedantry here, I have to point out that the Arabian Sea is very different from the Arabian (AKA Persian) Gulf. Abu Dhabi lies on the latter but not the former (Fujairah and Sharjah are the only emirates with Arabian Sea coastlines). While The Gulf of Oman is clearly part of the Arabian Sea, is it accurate to say that the Arabian Gulf is also? By the same logic, would you describe the Mediterranean as part of the Atlantic? Or the North Sea? Maybe there are two different answers for those last two questions.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:17 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Since we seem to be indulging in good old fashioned pedantry here, I have to point out that the Arabian Sea is very different from the Arabian (AKA Persian) Gulf. Abu Dhabi lies on the latter but not the former (Fujairah and Sharjah are the only emirates with Arabian Sea coastlines). While The Gulf of Oman is clearly part of the Arabian Sea, is it accurate to say that the Arabian Gulf is also? By the same logic, would you describe the Mediterranean as part of the Atlantic? Or the North Sea? Maybe there are two different answers for those last two questions.
Good point re the Med and North Seas. Each is a "marginal sea", which is a sea adjacent to an ocean, although the terminology usually implies that the marginal sea is part of the ocean (being "adjacent to the open ocean"). I'm sure that in virtually all usage the North Sea would be considered a part of the Atlantic Ocean. No?
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-ocean-map.htm
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:24 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned

And let that be an end of the geographical nerdiness. I doubt our new poster is too bothered, as long as she can swim somewhere.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexSinger
Hey everyone,

I am moving out to Abu Dhabi (Yas Island) from Brighton, UK, to Sing with my band and I have so many questions. I have been researching as much as I can but havent gotten any REAL answers. I'm 22.

So here goes :-

Fitness wise, I need a CHEAP gym. I am really looking to buff myself up out there and need to be in best possible shape to sing 5 nights a week.

What kind of nightlife is there? I am used to Brighton so lots going on all the time.

Pool wise, are you able to use Hotel pools if you purchase food/drink there?

Is it as strict as I have heard re- covering up. No shorts? I am such a keeeeeen fan of high waisted shorts and am so sad to leave them behind?

Please tell me ANYTHING you can, I would really love to make some girlfriends my age as I am in a band with all boys!

Thanks guys <3
darling, at 22 unless you are overweight you should be "buff" You are already a singer so why do you have to be fit to sing 5 nights a week??

You are coming out to sing so you know already that there has to be some night life!!

The place that you will be singing in will arrange your accommodation, there will almost defo be a pool/gym etc. You can always pay to go to a hotel pool.

Shorts will be ok on the beach...if you need to "buff up" then you certainly shouldn't be wearing high waisted shorts darling, they are for the skinny malinky girls only !!

Enjoy your time in AD and don't worry.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 1:27 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Meow

And let that be an end of the geographical nerdiness. I doubt our new poster is too bothered, as long as she can swim somewhere.
I sea your point of view.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 1:35 pm
Bored liberal

I sea your point of view.
Sometimes you are so shallow.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

What about the dead sea? Or the Caspian sea?
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:40 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Sometimes you are so shallow.
He's also a bit wishy-washy and needs to shore up his arguments more.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:41 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I did say those that weren't land-locked. I'm going to confiscate your crayons if you don't pay attention.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:43 pm

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Millhouse
or Frank Ocean? Ok that was gratuitous, but really, if you're not listening to him you should be and a search of the entire BE turned up nothing on him which is criminal! His debut album from last year, Nostalgia Ultra, is available for free download (just google it). Truly the next Prince, and probably even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yORwh...yer_detailpage

Someday I'll learn how to do that video embed thing - anyway, no video for this, just the music and it's not even close to the best track... The new album, Channel Orange, is even better but you have to pay proper money for that.

PS Do I get a prize for the most effortless segue into a completely unrelated topic?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.